Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you brew coffee in the camper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you brew your coffee in the camper?
Coffee Press
51%
 51%  [ 139 ]
Instant ground
11%
 11%  [ 31 ]
Stovetop espresso maker
16%
 16%  [ 44 ]
Dripper
17%
 17%  [ 48 ]
Cold brew
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Drive-thru, if available
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 271

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We went on an 8-day trip and used the electric coffee grinder a lot.
And we like.
We used a 13mm socket on hand-filed flats, with a Makita screw-driver---> ( See post on previous page )
In use, it req'd "effort" to keep the speed slow - at proper grind speed.

So I bought a new Makita Sub-compact drill (small, for the van).
It's low speed is SLOW.
To make it easier to use.... I broached a torx socket into the Hario thumbscrew.

I like the TORX better. It's smaller and I always have a T25 bit.
Grinding coffee with the drill at low speed is perfect.
I am kinda surprised that grinding with the hand-crank was enough of a hassle to look for other methods.
But I tellya..... it's satisfying have the coffee ground and sitting in the funnel before the water boils. Wink
And the hand-crank is still usable anytime.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

In for the group buy
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Very nice work. I just love ingenious solutions to problems which don't really exist......well, for most people, that is. For us crazed nut jobs always thinking of a "better" solution.............that's just who we are and sometimes through an idea help others as well.

Duncan
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

We switched to this recently. It is buenos.

https://www.stanley1913.com/products/classic-stay-hot-french-press-48-oz?variant=39681649836091
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Quote:
In for the group buy

Easy to do this without "broaching a torx-hole" (for sport)Wink
If you have a battery-drill,
go to Ace Hardware,
get a 'long m6 coupling nut',
two 1/4" washers,
and a 10mm hex-driver bit.
It's less than $5.
==================

The burr-grinder I used is: "Hario "Skerton" Ceramic Manual Coffee Grinder
I was kinda big for the van.
---> see p9 of this thread from 2016
I put a smaller cup on the bottom, a little "jam jar".
I fill it half full for my 'bean dose' thus don't need a spoon.

Over the last 5 years, have reduced the size further to fit the Westy.

I have since gotten tired of cranking it.... so now, there's no handle.
But there is the Makita drill-motor that I have to carry....
And the hand-crank too

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Very nice work. I just love ingenious solutions to problems which don't really exist......well, for most people, that is. For us crazed nut jobs

Like the problem of driving a 30-year-old vehicle 1,000 miles home....
only the few, the proud, the (whatever) understand.

Along those lines, does anyone know of an insulated coffee cup that has a thumb-operated lid?
If I'm gonna grind beans just before brewing....the next '....need' is to smell the coffee from the exposed liquid surface.
Sucking on my sippy cup just doesn't satisfy (in comparison).

The other details...
I like to walk around the camp with my coffee mug.
I always find 'something' to do with my other hand and thus need the lid to seal (somewhat).
Often it takes a little time of course, so insulation is good.
And because I'll always end up carrying something in the other hand, I want to operate the lid with my thumb.
Kind of like a beer-stein. Which are ok for "quaffing" but not for my coffee (or tea) camping/strolling ritual. I'd use it at home too, walking around the garden in the morning.
There are thumb-operated sippy cups but haven't found one that retracts the entire lid.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Is this too big? https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/stanley-the-bottle-opener-beer-stein/?

This one is 16 Oz and is wood which should help with insulating and has a stainless insert. Maybe you could pull the liner and add some more foam. https://www.etsy.com/listing/707030982/oak-wood-beer-tankard-with-lid-wooden?

Another https://www.callie.com/personalized-beer-mug-wooden?gclid= No lid, but you could easily make one and add it since the body is wood and stuff could be glued or screwed on. Also has the ability to get it customized.
Like: SyncroFest 2022.

And my favorite, but lid needed to be added. https://ancientreasures.com/products/tankard-beer?

This one gets a North Pole letter for sure.

Duncan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Is this too big? https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/stanley-the-bottle-opener-beer-stein/?

Good that the lid flips way back to sip coffee or tea.
Pretty good but 24oz is kinda monstrous.
Excessive surface area will lose heat too.
12oz would be ideal van-size (for me).
Appreciate the suggestion Duncan!

I may have to build it.... (before Syncrofest 2022... Wink )

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Hydroflask, Sodo. I use one everyday for coffee. Can flip the lid open one hand no problem. Spill proof when closed. Love it.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Hydroflask, Sodo. Can flip the lid open one hand no problem. Spill proof when closed. Love it.

Spill proof when closed would be a bonus. Which lid? I don't see any flippable lids on the hydroflask site
https://www.hydroflask.com/accessories/caps-and-li...tTEALw_wcB

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Wawa right now..

My usual method is boil a pot of water on the camp stove and put the Melita #2 filter holder on top of a cup and pour the hot water over the grinds and let it drip into the cup.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Sodo, thanks for getting this going. Your usage is exactly like mine. Except i need the lid to keep the sawdust and steel grinding dust out as my coffee sits on the table saw while other stuff is going on.
DuncanS wrote:
My favorite, but lid needed to be added. https://ancientreasures.com/products/tankard-beer?

This one gets a North Pole letter for sure.

Duncan

Letter sent and got an elf message saying the letter had been received. Musta been a computer response as he didn't leave his name.

We'll see. So now gotta find this item and graft the lid onboard.

As a sailer, couldn't have anything else. Maybe Abscate has a better source as I don't have a square rigger. Lots of room to insulate the lid.

Duncan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Lid has to fold out, almost flat.
You don’t quaff coffee (or tea)

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:
Hydroflask, Sodo. Can flip the lid open one hand no problem. Spill proof when closed. Love it.

Spill proof when closed would be a bonus. Which lid? I don't see any flippable lids on the hydroflask site
https://www.hydroflask.com/accessories/caps-and-li...tTEALw_wcB

You’re right, this is not on their website anymore.

Precious!!
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I love my coffee just as much as the next person. The Mrs. doesn't drink coffee daily so it's easy for me to do this. I have been using this grinder for a long time and love it. https://rhinocoffeegear.com/rhino-coffee-gear-hand-grinder.html

I use the aero press, I like the inverted method. Lots of different ways to make coffee with the aero press. I find that 15 grams is my favorite.

As far a s a cup goes, I use the planetary designs steel toe. It is 16 or 20 oz and keeps my drinks hot. It comes with a French press lid if I choose to go that style. I just unscrew the French press and stow it in the coffee box I have. When searching that website I found a Vanagon cup. This is the steel toe cup I use:
https://planetarydesign.com/product/steel-toe-sleep-outside-coffee-fire-david-powell/
but found this sweet Vanagon cup:
https://planetarydesign.com/product/white-adventure-tumbler-keep-it-simple-david-powell/
or the https://planetarydesign.com/product/overland-dream-rig-tumbler-featured-artist/

all of the planetary designs lids "snap" closed. The cups keep my coffee/tea hot for a while and are a great size. Just sharing my set up. When we meet up, I'll make you a cup!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
DuncanS wrote:
Very nice work. I just love ingenious solutions to problems which don't really exist......well, for most people, that is. For us crazed nut jobs

Like the problem of driving a 30-year-old vehicle 1,000 miles home....
only the few, the proud, the (whatever) understand.

Along those lines, does anyone know of an insulated coffee cup that has a thumb-operated lid?
If I'm gonna grind beans just before brewing....the next '....need' is to smell the coffee from the exposed liquid surface.

The other details...
I like to walk around the camp with my coffee mug.
I always find 'something' to do with my other hand and thus need the lid to seal (somewhat).
Often it takes a little time of course, so insulation is good.
And because I'll always end up carrying something in the other hand, I want to operate the lid with my thumb.
Kind of like a beer-stein. Which are ok for "quaffing" but not for my coffee (or tea) camping/strolling ritual. I'd use it at home too, walking around the garden in the morning.
There are thumb-operated sippy cups but haven't found one that retracts the entire lid.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/camelbak-forge-flo...cm_soc=AFF
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=CamelBak+Forg...;FORM=VIRE

Keep your drink the right temperature and out of your lap when you're on the road with the CamelBak® Forge® Flow 20-oz. Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug. This CamelBak mug features a vacuum-insulated 18/8 stainless steel construction that keeps cold drinks cold for up to 13 hours and hot drinks hot up to 8 hours. This leakproof travel mug has a free-flow lock that locks in the open position to allow your steaming coffee a chance to cool, while the self-sealing drink lever makes it easy to open and close for drinking with 1 hand. A smart silicone base keeps it from sliding around. A powder-coat finish delivers exceptional durability, plus the CamelBak Forge Flow 20-oz. Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug is BPA-, BPF-, and BPS-free. The cap and mug are dishwasher safe for hassle-free cleanup.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
[The next '....need' is to smell the coffee from the exposed liquid surface.

This is the whole point of coffee. Sippy cups reduce the coffee experience by eliminating the odor which is one of the chief ways our test buds interact with the brain to produce the flavor we lust after. Often, when Mrs.S and I go off to do errands in the morning I will put my second cup of coffee in an insulated sip cup. It's always disappointing as the flavor has gone from a 9.5 to a 5.5. It's hot, but that's about it.

Sodo is right on with this pursuit. And for me it has to be a mug, meaning a handle. Cups without are OK, but the handle is also part of the experience.

While waiting for Santa to come through, I'm going to toss a handle on one of my Yeti type beer/soda can insulated items and put a hinged flip wooden lid on the top as well. Will post the result by the end of the weekend.

Duncan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Thanks snuf, mikemtnbike. TopBud, Maybe we'll meet in the desert someday.

Theres a lot to like about the ergonomics and features of the Camelbak Forge but it's still a sippy cup that separates your olfactory from the liquid surface.
The coffee comes out thru a little hole about the size of your pinky.

Duncan I believe I'm gonna have to make my own as well.
The cover insulates, and keeps stuff from dropping in.
It's not real easy to fold the lid completely out of the way.
The hinge pivot has to be about an inch outboard of the mug rim.

A locking lever action that could press the lid down against a seal would be nice feature.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I feel like you're describing a beer stein.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Exactly, an insulated beer stein. Who likes to drink beer out of a sippy cup? It's the same issue, well kinna, but with a different Kelvin value.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: