Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow without external cooler??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
Your experiment suggestion with water and food dye also seems to be lacking as we are not moving the fluid in all the same ways and we are also not dropping the fluid heated elsewhere as it is in the engine.
Your heating it with a burner and sloshing it in the pan only?

We get fresh milk from a local farmer so I see the issue daily. Without an air space at the top of the jug it is very difficult to shake the milk jug hard enough and long enough to mix in the cream. I hauled water all last summer to water our garden in a tank in the back of our truck pulling another tank on a trailer. I learned quickly to full both tanks right to the top to stop the motion. The bigger the air space the more rocking and rolling happened on the way home. If I run them up to overflowing all the motion stopped and it was no different driving that load than if it was a load of firewood or coal!

Your sloshing of the oil from the motion af driving holds true for the crankcase, there is a BIG air space in it. Is your add on sump full of big air pockets? I think not! The motion of driving will quickly purge any air bubbles out and any motion thereafter will stop.

Last edited by oprn on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I have measured my case temp vs sump temp numerous times after runs

When my case is 195-200F, my sump is 165F

I only run an external cooler as well, if you go this route I recommend buying a quality/efficient cooler. Setrab

Thanks for that!

I am thinking that you are measuring surface temperature. That is totally believable and supports what I am saying. The surface of the sump is getting cooled but it is not able to transfer that loss of heat heat effectively to the rest of the engine. If in fact the oil was circulating efficiently in the sump the two temps would be within a few degrees of each other.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Here is something else to think about and this is pure theory. I don't deny that there is some mixing happening, like has been said there is oil going down about 2" into the sump in the center and oil going back up in the center about 2", and when you drop the oil out to change it there is no inconsistency in color... but I personally do not believe the motion of the vehicle contributes significantly...

What about engine vibration? Is that not the principle that ultra sonic cleaners work on? Could that be setting up little eddy currents in the sump? Maybe in conjunction with the motion in the center, eventually the oil all gets mixed?

Last edited by oprn on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

No it’s not but the heated oil isn’t returning directly to the lower sump. This in my mind is getting sloshed around with the oil that is in the case itself, while at the same time the pump at what flow rate? Is pulling oil from down in the lower add on sump, I would think and can prove easily that with that percentage of open space where the sump is attached that sloshing and mixing is still effecting the oil down low.

Just try it with two coffe cups taped together, one black one with creamer for a 5 min ride home from Dunkin’ Donuts. No other movement like the pulling of oil from the sump was required but yet I still had coffe with creamer added in both cups when I got home?

The open hole between the cups seems to let sloshing occur in both cups but as I suspected it’s just at a slower rate without the action of a sump pulling that fluid from the lower cup.

My Mom is going to kill me when she realizes I drilled a hole in her cup and duckt taped them together.

I suspect with the shape of the inside of my sump and the oil pulling from the pick up in combination with the open hole at the percentage it is compared to the overall size of the sump it would mix faster.

Try driving with one of those tanks open on the top and let’s see how long it takes before we see sloshing, for you description open the hatch and see how much water you loose with every motion that forces inertia to act on the water.

Last night we tried with two pans and two basters to simulate the sump but we were not able to get a good enough spread out return of the dyed cooking oil in my opinion to represent the radical return pattern I would expect you would have inside the case. While trying this one and not having enough hands My Girlfriend helped me and she pointed out one other thing that should add and we most likely should be taking into account.
Which is the movement of the internals and thier effect on both the returning oil as well as the oil in the case as we are not just relying on the oil in the sump only?

I can only imagine this would also have a large impact on everything?
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
txoval wrote:

I only run an external cooler as well, if you go this route I recommend buying a quality/efficient cooler. Setrab

Thanks for that!

I am thinking that you are measuring surface temperature. That is totally believable and supports what I am saying. The surface of the sump is getting cooled but it is not able to transfer that loss of heat heat effectively to the rest of the engine. If in fact the oil was circulating efficiently in the sump the two temps would be within a few degrees of each other.

You can not take this as proof one way or the other without knowing the temperature of the oil that is being picked up at the pick up tube and comparing it to the temperature of the same engine without a deep sump.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Love the engaging if grey matter this is producing!

I too thought that an add on sump would do a lot to cool the engine oil but to my disappointment reality did not support my expectations. A few degrees yes, possibly but not enough to really positively document as an improvement so why did it not work as expected? This is what the agitation of the brain cells is all about here, trying to understand why not.

Yes both tanks are missing the lids, there is a 8" open hole so I did lose a bit of water on the way home but the motion is only on the surface. If there is no water/air interface there is virtually no motion. I would be willing to bet the farm on there being no airspace in your add on sump. The amount of motion you can get is directly proportional to the size of that air/liquid interaction area.

The minnows at the surface of the lake are going for a ride in a storm but the catfish on the bottom ain't feeling a thing. He's too far away from where the action happens. The oil in the crankcase is doing a dance in the corners and at the stop lights but nothing is happening in the add on sump. Too far from the surface.

Last edited by oprn on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Gotta get a handle on this insomnia... Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
oprn wrote:
txoval wrote:

Thanks for that!

You can not take this as proof one way or the other without knowing the temperature of the oil that is being picked up at the pick up tube and comparing it to the temperature of the same engine without a deep sump.

If you were to measure the oil temp in the pickup tube it would agree with the temp of the case, not the temp of the sump. In fact I would expect it could well be a few degrees higher than the case temp.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Again your not taking into account the interaction of the pick up tube?
It’s not taking its oil from the case. This alone is ensuring the oil moves in a timely manner from the sump while the other forces are acting on the oil being returned to the oil that is being vilently sloshed and blown around the case by inertia and windage.

Get that oil temp from someplace other than the sump and I think we will see that the 30 to 35 degree difference between his sump and his case is making much more of a difference in the temperature of the oil delivered to the bearings than you are trying to have us believe.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

There is only one point of oil suction (supply), which is at the bottom of the sump.

From first start up, the first oil going to the bearings is then at the top of the case oil level. Now, does that first slug of oil stay together? Absolutely not, but as the oil makes it’s way back to the suction point it enters a cooler holding area (sump). How much this helps? I have no idea, but there is some cooling effect.

I do agree that if the sump to case connection (surface area) was larger the two would have similar temps…but this would negatively effect cooling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Ikr
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

YUP Wink
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
KEGZ wrote:
Why do modern cars have factory oil coolers? Did the OEM “do something wrong” and it’s there to bandaid their fk up?

People incorporate an updated feature to regulate oil temp in 60 year old aircooled technology and its heresy. You guys are all trippin. Might as well tell all the EFI guys to gtfo.

No one I know who drives their drag cars on the street overheat. I run 25lb boost on the street and don’t even come close. Is it ONLY because of the oil cooler? No.. but I’d be full of shit if I said it doesn’t help.

Where did you get the idea that oil coolers don't help? In my case that is the the only thing that DID help! I was discussing sumps not coolers... and a sump is not a substitute for an oil cooler.

Running any air cooled VW engine with no oil cooler is insane!

I wasn't even talking to you. In fact, I skip over all your posts. However, I was referring to an external thermostat regulated fan/cooler combo. It's peace of mind and added insurance to any hipo motor regardless of whether it's needed or not. In fact, if Ohio Tom had chimed in earlier, I wouldn't even have had to say anything. The only exception between him and I is I retain the factory cooler with the addition of the external. And these arguments about what you use for plumbing are just null and void to me at this point cuz it's clear that people just wanna toot their own horns about their install when they cheaped out on the most important components.. like heads. Reminds me of all the people who buy the new iphone at release for a thousand dollars when their old ones do the exact same shit. Then brag about it while they live at home with their moms. Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
It’s not taking its oil from the case. This alone is ensuring the oil moves in a timely manner from the sump while the other forces are acting on the oil being returned to the oil that is being vilently sloshed and blown around the case by inertia and windage..

Totally true in the case but that's not happening in the add on sump.

Paul Jr wrote:
Get that oil temp from someplace other than the sump and I think we will see that the 30 to 35 degree difference between his sump and his case is making much more of a difference in the temperature of the oil delivered to the bearings than you are trying to have us believe.

Maybe.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I will have to side with those who claim there is more mixing and wiegh heavily on it helps much more than your willing to admit.
You seem to be missing too much in your theory.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I have an external 13 row cooler on my Split Panel. I'm running a Mocal Sandwich plate in the external filter mount and there is a thermostat on the line out of the cooler which trips the fan at 92°. All stainless braided hose and AN8 fittings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can tell you that I did run the bus with the motor (2276 on 48 IDA's, C45 cam, super pro heads) for a while before fitting the cooler and on a long freeway run in summer, it would trip the save my bug dipstick light.

Since I fitted the cooler, havent seen the save my bug light.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
I have an external 13 row cooler on my Split Panel. I'm running a Mocal Sandwich plate in the external filter mount and there is a thermostat on the line out of the cooler which trips the fan at 92°. All stainless braided hose and AN8 fittings.

I can tell you that I did run the bus with the motor (2276 on 48 IDA's, C45 cam, super pro heads) for a while before fitting the cooler and on a long freeway run in summer, it would trip the save my bug dipstick light.

Since I fitted the cooler, havent seen the save my bug light.

Thanks for the feedback, great pics *AND* the dipstick idea! Not sure if I knew about it before & forgot but definitely want to grab one of those! Cool

BTW.....jealous of all that room you buses have...(and Ghias too). Could darn near store dead bodies back there! Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
I will have to side with those who claim there is more mixing and wiegh heavily on it helps much more than your willing to admit.

Ok - then you explain to us why an add on sump does so little to change oil temps and it's not just my personal opinion, lots of others here have had the same experiance.

I'm listening...
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Paul Jr wrote:

Ok - then you explain to us why an add on sump does so little to change oil temps and it's not just my personal opinion, lots of others here have had the same experiance.

I'm listening...

Because it’s not a cooler!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

What is the brass 90 degree called? Ive been searching summits website but cant find anything like it. Do they not produced 1/4in to 6AN adapters?(40hp size galleys).

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: