Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss Sad

It looks like rocket found a great new home. Mine are both 11 years old now and it takes everything I have to not thinking about the impending sorrow. So I do my best to just take them on as many adventures as I can.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Exactly. He of course has already stolen our hearts since the transition is going so smoothly from home to home, and he's just a big hearted Dog on top of it all.
Having one Blue Eye and one Brown Eye just adds to his goofiness personality as well.... Razz Razz Razz

The added bonus is that we can visit Dog Parks again, our last Dog just would not accept other Dogs around him. Didn't bark at them through the House Windows, wasn't THAT bad, but no Dog Parks for him.
Rocket is totally chill at each of them we've taken him to.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Rocket, soon to be 9 years old. He's the largest Dalmatian we've ever had. Tall, long torso and 75 lbs of strapping excited Dal..... Shocked

Parents were both champions, my wife tracked down the breeder who raised him , so that's different for us too with this Dog. His Dad is still alive at 14 1/2 yrs, so we hope to get at least as long a time with Rocket...... Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Our first Dal, Topspin, lived until she was 15. Rocket looks like Tucker's brother. Tucker is 8½, and we're coming up on the 6th year anniversary of adopting him. He was 71 lbs at his last weigh-in. I can see Rocket is resting up for his next adventure.

Tucker and I just came back from an hour-long trail hike -- something that's getting easier for me with my latest joint replacement, and something easy for him after overdoing it yesterday.

Our two Dal's are fine with dog parks, but both were generally more interested in what we HUGH-mons (humans) were doing next than other dogs. Having said that, both of our Dals loved their respective neighbors -- Topspin and a Sharpei, Tucker and a standard-sized Labradoodle.

My only VW pics of him are below, although "his" car is now the '02 Golf.

Laughing

Cool
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

'87 Westy rolled 333k mi, in Chatfield MN today, at about 6:30 pm! Then, back from the all day trip and put back in the nest! Glad to be home!!!

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The new dog , Rocket, has finally warmed up to the Vanagon.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Okay, Anyone have some rear full bench seat dog cover suggestions since he’s obviously not going to lay on the floor…. d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

It took several rides to parks etc, but that unstoppable VW charm won him over…. Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Big tree fell in the high winds, blocking our road. So Rosie, my pup Aleijae and I took my chainsaw down to remedy the situation. And gather some firewood.

Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My buddy finds discarded stuff at his rural transfer station and he brought this bike home to give me. We don't need it so I'll tune it up and pass it on.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
My buddy finds discarded stuff at his rural transfer station and he brought this bike home to give me. We don't need it so I'll tune it up and pass it on.

If it's a three-speed like a Raleigh (doesn't have to be that brand), I'd like a chance to buy it for my wife. She's a two-time cancer survivor including colorectal cancer, and she can no longer ride either of the two bikes we had for her (since given away). I had a "boys" Raleigh way back when with a seat similar to the one pictured, and it might be something she could use now.

Richmond is three hours from me, but if I could find a bike she could be comfortable riding, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Vancouveria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

We got out for our first night of camping this year.

Kitsap Memorial State Park is just north of Poulsbo, WA. We made a mandatory stop at Sluy’s Bakery in Poulsbo, took Big Valley Road as a scenic shortcut, and arrived at our campsite at dusk.

We were in site #32, which had nice trees around it but backs up to a neighboring property that appears to be an event venue. It was quiet this weekend but could be loud if there’s an event.

If you look closely, you’ll spot a beautiful yellow Vanagon through the trees that belongs to another forum member.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Van took me out on a rare winter day as my personal support vehicle at North America's
largest Nordic ski race, the American Birkebeiner in Hayward, WI.

Weather beautiful, roads dry, free parking on a quiet dead end street 2 blocks from the
race finish. In addition to cheering my daughter, son-in-law and 2 of daughter's college
teammates, also caught the finish of Olympic gold medalist Kikkan Randall plus 5,500
other intrepid skiers in the 50k race...an impressive event.

As the day progressed, I also scored 2-1/2 free beers, delicious gyro lunch and a cozy
van nap while running the CDH. Everyone finished strong and recovered well, then a bit
of celebration together & headed home in the dark. Wrapped things up with a thorough
de-salinating car wash, then put away back in the garage for spring...

It was a great, GREAT day... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
campism wrote:

If it's a three-speed like a Raleigh (doesn't have to be that brand), I'd like a chance to buy it for my wife. She's a two-time cancer survivor including colorectal cancer, and she can no longer ride either of the two bikes we had for her (since given away). I had a "boys" Raleigh way back when with a seat similar to the one pictured, and it might be something she could use now.

Richmond is three hours from me, but if I could find a bike she could be comfortable riding, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry, but I just saw your post more than a month later. I still have the bike and you are welcome to it for your wife. It's not a Raleigh, but a Schwinn and not an internally-geared 3-speed but a derailleur 7-speed. Not a bad little bike but it needs new cables and further tuning. I'd be happy to fix it up for you. Where are you located? Perhaps we could meet halfway for the transfer.

If she must have a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed I have a different bike that might do.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just saw your post more than a month later. I still have the bike and you are welcome to it for your wife. It's not a Raleigh, but a Schwinn and not an internally-geared 3-speed but a derailleur 7-speed. Not a bad little bike but it needs new cables and further tuning. I'd be happy to fix it up for you. Where are you located? Perhaps we could meet halfway for the transfer.

If she must have a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed I have a different bike that might do.

I mentioned Raleigh because I had one as a kid, and drove it to death. I'd get one for me for giggles but I already have a Trek hybrid which is more bike than I have talent.

Your Schwinn has the riding position and seat I think my wife could enjoy given her two victories over cancer. I don't think it being a 7-speed would be disqualifying. I'll show her the pic soon.

The only complicating factor that has since come up is she will need her hip replaced. If she likes the bike as pictured, I have no problems with making the trip to get it for her. She won't be making the drive with me given the circumstances. I live a bit north of Baltimore.

I will PM you with further results/details. Thanks!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Welcomed the first real day of Spring with its dusting of pollen on the windshield. Plenty more of that to come.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

A long deferred dump run. Probably need to do another one pretty soon while I'm in the mood to get rid of stuff.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Got inspected, now good for another twelve months. I've been hearing an exhaust leak and am shocked they did not flunk me for it, but maybe they feel sorry for a camper van that only goes about 3,000 miles a year. Also, they don't charge me the $20 fee most places charge. I paid during my first visit there years ago (West Broad VW) and it's been free ever since. Guess I should be saving that money up for a new exhaust system.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Helped return some tools borrowed from a buddy to work on the now-sold big Dodge camper project.

And came home with some cedar downed in a big ice storm a couple of months ago. That county is only now getting the mess cleaned up.

VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Helped a friend move - Saved the cost of renting a Uhaul.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Fetched a 4x8 sheet of underlayment for a sewing room project. Rounded the corners and covered it with a vinyl flooring remnant to put down on carpet so she roll her chair from machine to machine at the sewing station we built.

Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Over the pass and into the Yakima Canyon for the skwala/March brown fly hatch and some hiking

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

spent a lovely spring day in the park with DJ's and bumpin music. it was spitting rain and windy. i retreated to the Westy and made a cuppa tea. how did i manage before this?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 89

Jump to: