Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Winter Camping?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
col902
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

How does the eurovan do when winter camping as far as warmth goes?

I am coming from a FWC fleet pop up truck camper that I sold because it was very cold in the winter. The catch is that you have to pop the top in the FWC every time you want to camp, and cannot even sleep without the pop topped.

I am considering a '95 eurovan that has the stock propane furnace. When sleeping with the top down, how does the furnace do at keeping things warm? If I put some reflectix in the windows, are things decently insulated?
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

With the top down the furnace is able to keep the van very warm. There isn't much insulation on the body panels so adding some will help you burn less propane.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

col902 wrote:

I am coming from a FWC fleet pop up truck camper that I sold because it was very cold in the winter. The catch is that you have to pop the top in the FWC every time you want to camp, and cannot even sleep without the pop topped.

I am considering a '95 eurovan that has the stock propane furnace. When sleeping with the top down, how does the furnace do at keeping things warm? If I put some reflectix in the windows, are things decently insulated?

I found the EVC furnace is strong and pretty efficient in 20 degree F nights. We put a can of Handiwipes in to keep the top up about 8" and kept the safety strap engaged so wind gusts didn't lift the top.

Reflectix or some such on the windshield and front side windows is helpful. The Winnebago accordion blinds in the sleeping area do a good job insulating. We slept with quilts and hoodies, thermostat at 60 degrees. Kicked the stat up if getting uncomfortable. Could go max four days in the boonies with repeated 20 degree nights and using the LP stove also.

You're in Colorado so IMO an '01-'03 is the way to go. The 2.5l has no passing power at altitude. '01-'03 has much better braking also.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

I have an '02 EVC and agree that the propane furnace works very well, but the van will lose the heat very quickly. I haven't opened the side panels to inspect the insulation but I assume that it's very scant. I've installed adhesive reflectix insulation behind the fridge area when I pulled that out, and I also bought some insulation for some of the windows with made a BIG difference, not only with keeping in the warm but also keeping out the heat int he summer.

I highly recommend it: https://www.eurocampers.com/1992--2003-EuroVan-Cab...p_338.html

I also got the back window insulation from the same dealer, though it needed some modification (cutting+sewing) to fit around the brake light on top of the back window: https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Rear-Window-Insulation--1pc-Fits-1992--2003-_p_340.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Broseph Stalin wrote:
col902 wrote:

I found the EVC furnace is strong and pretty efficient in 20 degree F nights. We put a can of Handiwipes in to keep the top up about 8" and kept the safety strap engaged so wind gusts didn't lift the top.

Reflectix or some such on the windshield and front side windows is helpful. The Winnebago accordion blinds in the sleeping area do a good job insulating. We slept with quilts and hoodies, thermostat at 60 degrees. Kicked the stat up if getting uncomfortable. Could go max four days in the boonies with repeated 20 degree nights and using the LP stove also.

You're in Colorado so IMO an '01-'03 is the way to go. The 2.5l has no passing power at altitude. '01-'03 has much better braking also.

I may need a new battery. It barely keep the blower run for two nights. The temperature was around 30 degree at night.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
Broseph Stalin wrote:
col902 wrote:

I may need a new battery. It barely keep the blower run for two nights. The temperature was around 30 degree at night.

Really like the new group 31 I installed. But I think that 2 nights is about what I use to get. Have not winter camped with my new G31. What is the batteries resting voltage?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749057&sid=9c864830932cfcc19047a771f3e366a4
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

It's 12.4 Volts. The van's been parked for a couple weeks and it's getting a bit colder here... is there a way to tell what group this battery is just by looking at the sticker? Thanks MrPulldown!
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
It's 12.4 Volts. The van's been parked for a couple weeks and it's getting a bit colder here... is there a way to tell what group this battery is just by looking at the sticker? Thanks MrPulldown!

There should be a stick on it that says so. My stock coach battery was a G-27. The 31 is much bigger and give me more run time.

AT 12.4 it could be better but not bad. New batteries sit at ~12.7
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

OK here is the info on the sticker, could this be a group 24 battery?

PART NO.
24DCM

CCA @ 0°F

CA @ 32°F

23 AMP AVE
150 MIN

Thanks!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Yes pretty ssure that is a group 24. Smaller.
Locally (San Diego) I found that O'Reilleys has the best deal on Group 31 Deep Cycles at around $110.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
OK here is the info on the sticker, could this be a group 24 battery?

PART NO.
24DCM

CCA @ 0°F

CA @ 32°F

23 AMP AVE
150 MIN

Thanks!

Yeh you'll get way more furnace time with a new 31
210 min res
675 CCA
105 amphours

Pretty sure 27 is stock (at least for a 01-03). The 24 would be smaller.
I paid just over $100 from Oreillys as well. Such a common battery they keep it in stock. This must be an industrial standard size as it is cheaper than car batteries that a way smaller.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/marine/batter...ierra-1500
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Alright, O'Reilly group 31 it is. Thanks for helping. Just hope it's gonna be an easy drop-in job for me.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

I'm not totally familiar with the Eurovan camper setups, but in my '78 Westy in cold weather camping, I found it helpful to also block off the whole front seating area by clipping a heavy blanket to the pop up roof opening.

A few less cubic feet of air the heater has to heat.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
Alright, O'Reilly group 31 it is. Thanks for helping. Just hope it's gonna be an easy drop-in job for me.

It was for me, except that it is heavy. Move the pad and board so you want walk up in the back of the van. Good way to throw out your back if you just try to lean over, at least my old man back. I also think that there were some hold down straps. Make sure they are secure when dropping in the battery, or you'll have to pull the battery out and get the straps that keep falling down. Ask me how I know.

My back is better now too thank you.
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
VolksVelo wrote:

It was for me, except that it is heavy. Move the pad and board so you want walk up in the back of the van. Good way to throw out your back if you just try to lean over, at least my old man back. I also think that there were some hold down straps. Make sure they are secure when dropping in the battery, or you'll have to pull the battery out and get the straps that keep falling down. Ask me how I know.

My back is better now too thank you.

Thanks MrPulldown, went to the local O'Reilly the other day and came back with a big, hunky group 31 battery. You're quite right it's heavy so the store clerk there even putting it in for me. Can't wait to test it out in the high desert this winter
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:

Thanks MrPulldown, went to the local O'Reilly the other day and came back with a big, hunky group 31 battery. You're quite right it's heavy so the store clerk there even putting it in for me. Can't wait to test it out in the high desert this winter

Your welcome. I am so impressed with the group 31 from O'Reily I wouldn't ever consider go Lithium.
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
VolksVelo wrote:

Your welcome. I am so impressed with the group 31 from O'Reily I wouldn't ever consider go Lithium.

I've got a O'Really 31 in my '99EVC hooked up to a 175 panel. I'm working on converting the greater coach battery storage area to accommodate a second 31 battery + an invertor. Bang for the buck, they are great batteries. Eventually tho, they'll get swapped out to lithium.
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Done a bit of sub zero camping with my 95. Mine has insulation on most panels (apart from main floor and area behind wardrobe). I have stock furnace and lithium bat. If it’s just me, the furnace keeps me warm enough with top down. Bit of a struggle with it up. With two of us can easily have the top up too. Mine has a tado thermostat, so i normally have it warm up to the point I sleep, much cooler temp set overnight and then furnace takes temp back up for when I need to wake up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

I have a data point for everyone here.

The other day, while we had fairly steady temps, I ran a 1.5 KW (5000 BTU) space heater in the van until it stabilized.

It was able to maintain about a 60 degree F delta inside vs outside, which means that the van has an 83 BTU per degree heat loss with the top down.

Extrapolating, this means that with the top down, the stock furnace at 12k BTU could maintain about a 144 degree delta T if running continuously with the top down. At that rate it would use an entire tank of propane in about a day. *EDIT* A full tank should run about 35 hours for the 4.7 gallons that are available on a full tank.

I've not yet done the experiment with the top up, but I would expect the heat loss to approximately double. If I do that experiment I'll let you know what the result was.

Last edited by TheOneTrueQuux on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

dazey77 wrote:
Done a bit of sub zero camping with my 95. Mine has insulation on most panels (apart from main floor and area behind wardrobe). I have stock furnace and lithium bat. If it’s just me, the furnace keeps me warm enough with top down. Bit of a struggle with it up. With two of us can easily have the top up too. Mine has a tado thermostat, so i normally have it warm up to the point I sleep, much cooler temp set overnight and then furnace takes temp back up for when I need to wake up

If you don't use 'em, already, it is worthwhile making some insulation panels for the pop top area.

In my '78 Westy, I bought a roll of the 4 foot wide Reflectix insulation and cut it into three panels that fit snugly inside the pop up. Two roughly-triangular side panels (with extensions for the back that meet in the middle, and extend a couple inches into the front panel) and a front panel that overlaps those two by a few inches.

Put up the side pieces which are just held in place by pressure along the top, the edge of the bed on the lower sides and back, and the pop-up bars front along with the front panel overlapping it. The front panel is held in place by pressure top and bottom and the pop up bars.

It may not be a high insulation value, but it does significantly cut heat loss through drafts through the canvas and I imagine it helps reflect a bit of heat inward too. They also block light which helps you sleep in a bit longer! the rolls aren't super expensive and are easy enough to cut to shape with a little measuring and a little holding in place and trimming and don't require any other sort of fasteners.

I stash mine for driving in the space behind the top mattress or right on top of the top mattress in the middle, where there is a bit of a gap due to curvature of the pop top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: