Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ANOTHER Wiper Issue
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

So I finally sorted out getting my wiper motor and PBD to to be a team, thanks to help from here. (I LOVE The Samba!)
Attached frame to motor and installed in car. Applied power.

The wiper shafts turn, but only about 1/4 rotation. I’d expect almost half. The resulting sweep of the blade is maybe 2-3 inches.

The movement isn’t “synchronized”. It’s rather jerky, actually.

Does this sound like I need to replace shafts? (God, I hope not!) Something else?

And just to be sure, should the motor rotate CW or CCW?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

Tom, you might want to remove the wiper assembly, then tear it down and clean and grease everything. It sounds like you might have some rust on the shafts that causing the jerking motion, and might be trying to seize the shafts in the barrels. It's really something that should be done anytime the wiper unit is removed from the car as the grease dries out and hardens. Once that happens, the wipers don't work very smoothly (btdt).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

Yeah Bob, I guess I shoulda done that. But they seemed to turn freely, and I did squirt in some blaster.
Guess I’ll pull it out and go from there.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Yeah Bob, I guess I shoulda done that. But they seemed to turn freely, and I did squirt in some blaster.
Guess I’ll pull it out and go from there.
Thanks

According to Jim Adney, anything you spray in there either softens the grease again, or it washes it out (usually the 2nd one). I normally just use regular wheel bearing grease when I lube up my own. Ray might suggest something else, but I like something that's waterproof, so it doesn't wash out. Keep in mind that this is something that you might do once every 7-10 years, depending on how often you're driving in the rain.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!

Bobnotch wrote:

Keep in mind that this is something that you might do once every 7-10 years, depending on how often you're driving in the rain.

Hopefully, after removing/re-installing 3 times in a month, I won’t have to do it again for 7-10 years. Laughing

I haven’t used wipers on my Square in ??? years. I truly regret going down this path, for wipers, that I probably won’t use. Confused
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Hopefully, after removing/re-installing 3 times in a month, I won’t have to do it again for 7-10 years. Laughing

I haven’t used wipers on my Square in ??? years. I truly regret going down this path, for wipers, that I probably won’t use. Confused

I sent mine out to be rebuilt completely and it's highly unlikely that I'll ever drive this car in the rain. IMO, this is one of those areas of the car that it's best to just get it completely rebuilt and leave it alone for another 15 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

Bobnotch wrote:

Keep in mind that this is something that you might do once every 7-10 years, depending on how often you're driving in the rain.

I thought the same thing , as my fasty is a fair weather driver... but after being caught in a couple of thunderstorms on the way home... im glad i went ahead and re did them
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Wiper Issue Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

Bobnotch wrote:

I thought the same thing , as my fasty is a fair weather driver... but after being caught in a couple of thunderstorms on the way home... im glad i went ahead and re did them

Yup, when I did my T-34, I went thru them too. Drove it out to Colorado, and ran into a t-storm in Nebraska, then nothing again until well after we got home. Sometimes it just works out that way. When we did Rob's roadster (the first time), it had no wiper motor in it, and we got drenched on it's first ride out.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: