Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Westy Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
Not sure what the proper name is for it but here's a pic from my 76.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wooden block.

Yes....this is the under the bench special hook up. Great on gas and no oil leaks, ..... Laughing
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

OkieBus wrote:

Research revealed it goes to the auxiliary air regulator. OK, but where is that gizmo? I got a used one from my friend who recommended ditching all the EFI stuff and installing a carb- Hence, he has a lot of scrap EFI stuff at his shop. Verified it's the correct one via part number-

Don't see anything on this engine that remotely resembles this thing! Which begs the question- maybe this is not a 78 engine? Any way I can verify engine year from this number?

Finally, anybody know what goes here?

I got nothing in the box o parts that matches.
Thanks to all of you in advance for keeping alive my fantasy that this thing might someday actually run Very Happy .

The Aux Air Regulator attaches to the block sort of down in between the crankcase breather and the air distributor in the middle. You can just barely see the elbow hose that goes to it in your top pic that I quoted. It is peeking in between the crank breather and the wire just above it.

The person who is advising to ditch the fuel injection is ill-informed... You're making a good choice in reinstating it! (Though, take advantage of the good source of spares! LOL)

As stated, the missing part in the bottom quoted pic was for the EGR system. Unless in California or something, it isn't really necessary. You can just screw a block off plate of some sort (with a good gasket/seal of your own making) to block the hole.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Fantastic find. My current Bus is a barn find from down-state Delaware. It sat there since 1998, and is just now getting back on the road.

Best of luck with Fuel Injection. Getting all of the bits put together right (and making sure they work) is half the battle. The other half is air leaks. Otherwise L-Jet is a pretty hearty product of its time.

It never ceases to amaze me how many old VWs still lurk out there in barns. It also amazes me how many are left to rust into the ground by people who won't sell them, but won't preserve them, either.

webwalker
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

And we're back... Wasted Youth- Good to know about the Vanagon interior. I'm usually kind of an original-nista but I'm building this bus to use so definately want the better equipment. Also, PO made a couple of "extra" openings on drivers side panel for venting, etc, and I would have to fill those if I went back to original.

I'm thinking that's also why propane tank, etc, is on drivers side. I plan on getting back to you in future when I get around to working on the interior. Finally, kissing your sister is fine as long as that's as far as it goes Shocked
As for the EGR stuff- good to know it's not needed in my part of the world. We here in Oklahoma pride ourselves in being among the nations leaders in rate of smokers, heart disease, and not caring about the environment! Rolling Eyes
Also thanks for info on AAR location. I actually figured that out myself after I took a closer look at the part I sourced from my friend:

It came attached to a mounting bracket and I finally located that on the top of the engine:

But- notice the corked vacuum line? So, either PO wasn't running one of these (is that a thing?) or was just being cautious about dirt getting in there.
Speaking of vacuum lines... Somewhere on here I read that German Supply in Canada sells a kit to replace all theses... But I can't get any response from them. Any thoughts?
Quick question about exhaust- I laid everything out on shop floor and things look complete. This is the way this stuff fits together, right?

Also learned that a salvage yard over in the Arkansas Ozarks (about 3 hours from me) has some doner buses from which I can source needed engine bay metal. So, moving right along... More to come! Thanks again for all your help, guys!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

That exhaust layout looks right, except for the California equipment. See about halfway down that link I posted in my previous post for the exhaust fitment.

I'll let my sister know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Hey Wasted youth- I'll just call you Wasted for short- I read through your posts and you obviously very accomplished VW wise. So, bear with me because I'm not. What do you mean looks good except for the California stuff?[/quote]
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Quote:
I got a used one from my friend who recommended ditching all the EFI stuff and installing a carb

Use this guy for bread and beer, since he likes carbs so much.

Seriously, you can find the pieces for FIJ here and it is vastly superior to the easy to bolt on, hard to tune carb.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

I'm not a good VW guy, but thanks.

I think I might have used poor grammar. The California exhaust has the Catalytic converter, special CAT clamp, crossover tube and a collector section. Compare your photo to the ones about midway down in the link I included previously. If you are not needing to pass a California smog check, you can probably forego all those parts.

By the way, the round silver mini pie tin vent your PO cut in is for the Vanagon refrigerator propane exhaust stack, and the single black plastic cover is probably the water filler? So looks like he had that all set up.

These are a few of the pics... compare the parts with your exhaust parts photo...

Last edited by Wasted youth on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

By the way, I really dig your new ride. It's weird how the PO saw how much better the Vanagon kitchenette is. I really like how the fridge works out. We have two- 1981 and 1987 in Westfalias. But I was never sure how that would work out installed in a Baywindow.

You have yourself a real find there. I never thought much of the color choices of the 1970's, and I look back on my kindergarten and elementary school clothing memories with... weirdness. Kindergarten for me was 1976. And the big hair and idiotic clothing of the 1980's didn't help much to chase the orange, purple and brown nightmares away, but at least the car colors seemed to normalize.

I think the 1978 motor is pretty cool. Still 2.0 but with hydraulic lifters that you can change out for solids, and the engine featured heat dump tubes. The fuel injection is so great when you learn it and have it dialed in. Dual Carburetors mystify me when I read about them... I have a 1973 bus that has a controversial Weber progressive carb running the 1700cc engine, but I have about 90% of the PDSIT dual carbs waiting to kick my ass.

I hope only the best for you... EcheBus changed my opinion on what the possibilities of sage green could be.
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

I think I got your drift, now. Your just sayin yours has the cat exhaust and mine doesn't. Cool beans.
As for colors... I'm a couple decades older than you and vividly recall those late 70's "Earth Tone" years when everything from countertops to refrigerators was Harvest Gold or Coppertone or Avacado Green. I guess VW was not to be outdone!
It's kinda ironic really cause years ago when I first started looking for a bus my wife saw a Mid America catalog cover and asked, "Ooh, can we get a green one like that?" I reminded her of that when I found this one!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Right, exactly... I think your exhaust setup is all there.

My grandparents' giant Maytag avocado green washer and dryer frightened me. They were the colors of nightmares. White or stainless steel only, please.

Your green bus heard your wife and found you eventually. Cosmic.
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Well the good folks at German responded so my vacuum hoses are on their way. In the meantime I've had a look at the brakes. Peeking through the peep hole on the rears looks like I've got new or nearly new shoes...

And the rotors on the front look to be in decent shape, too:

So I proceeded with bleeding and was pleased and a little shocked to find no obstructed brake lines anywhere. How is that possible on a vehicle that has sat for over 15 years? Pumped some nasty-looking old fluid out but everything seemed good to go. But I fully expect something to start leaking when I get this thing moving...
Sourced replacement metal for the engine surround from Way Out Salvage in Arkansas

A little welding, seam sealer, and Rustoleum

and

Also plugged those two holes in the fender well that were formerly occupied by A/C hoses?
Pulled the windshield because I'd noticed some rust peeking out from under the dry, cracked seal. Again, very pleased to find minimal damage so a little sandpaper, rust stop, and Eden Satin paint and

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Lucky you!, I'd still dismantle all the brake cylinders, and pop the pistons out of the calipers for a cleaning and some silicone grease. A thorough wire wheel job followed by some never seez on all the hardware and pins too.
Anything that has sat that long will have little rusty bumps starting on places that rub on seals, get them shiny now before they chew up the rubber parts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Well, got past Turkey Day, and football tailgating is finished-

So time to get back to work on the big green machine. Did a little more window rust remediation-

In so doing found a nasty wing window-

Which looked fine till I peeled back the rubber. So gotta locate a replacement frame... Anybody got?
Brother-in-law is a pretty savvy mechanic so he helped set initial timing, etc in preparation for engine install. He wants to try starting it before sticking it back in the bus so I scored an extra engine wiring harness from my bud that likes to yank that stuff out. Later this week we're going to use it to fashion an "extension cord" to run from connections in engine bay to our engine which we will position right next to the bus. Any you guys ever tried this? What pitfalls do you foresee?
Finally- I've looked at wiring diagrams till I'm cross-eyed and I can't figure out where these last two female connectors go.

One, I'm sure, is the oil pressure switch- but which? And what about the other?
Thanks- As always I remain in your debt Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

The 2 loose terminals go on the ground star under the plenum, it's bolted to the case seam.

I'm trying to wrap my head around your "extension cord" question, just what are you trying to accomplish? You can bench run L-jet with just a couple wires as long as there's an injection harness on the engine. You'll also need a fuel pump and the double relay as well as a resistor block, they can all be loose but plugged in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Hey BD- Thanks for the wiring info. So the oil pressure switch wire isn't part of the engine harness but is no doubt lurking somewhere in the engine bay?
As for bench firing the engine- could you be more specific about how to set that up? Also, shouldn't we tempoarily plug the vacuum to the brake booster when we try to start it?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

The oil pressure wire is in the same small harness as the coil power wire, it runs across the roof of the engine compartment by the booster fan.

The FI harness is self contained, the only external connections are at the starter and ignition coil, start plugging stuff in and see what plugs are left hanging, we can advise what goes where as you encounter them.

Слава Україні!
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

OK- BD- you were right. I was making the bench starting thing a lot harder than it had to be. We pulled the necessary components from the engine bay, put it all together and guess what- It started! Ran rough and wouldn't idle, so made sure fuel pressure was good and valves were adjusted then went hunting vacuum leaks. Found and corrected a couple right away, and things improved, but there still seems to be a problem at the intake/spacer/head nexus on the 1-2 side, as evidenced but how smoothly it runs when ether is sprayed in that location. It was suggested that, because the head surface had an ever-so-slight texture to it, maybe the heads weren't machined but rather just sandblasted during the rebuild. So we applied a thin, even coat of Permatex black to both spacer surfaces and let it dry overnight. After I reassembled it this morning it ran a lot better and I was even able to get it to idle but still smoothed out nicely when I sprayed the ether. So, still got a leak there? Thoughts, please...
Another curious finding. When we first got it started the other day we noticed a thin stream of oil running down the side of the filter. Couldn't see a leak from topside of pressure switch but replaced it anyway, adding Teflon tape. Leak has slowed considerably but still drips a little. What is your best guess as to the source? Seals on pump appear to be new but of course hard to see very well...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

It's not hard to pinch the edge of the cylinder tin under the manifold flange, that'll make it leak. Aside from using thicker gaskets have a closer look at the injector base seals.
The gasket between the case and oil filter stand can do what you are describing, do that one now since it's a real pain when the engine's in the bus. The pressed in plugs on the case between the pressure sender and oil filter also have a bad reputation, wash it down with brake kleen an look for the source.

Слава Україні!
OkieBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Westy Barn Find Reply with quote

Update- I recently learned that Ray Greenwood, a frequent Samba poster, is a neighbor of mine, and he graciously agreed to come have a look at my project. He said the heads didn't look at all bad, so we reassembled the 1-2 side, inserting a new spacer, and removed the vacuum gauge line we had connected to the plenum, then hooked the line back up that was supposed to be there. Fired it up and it's running great! Idling, too. Very Happy
As for the oil leak, my plan is to spray it clean with brake cleaner, let it dry, then see what I've got when next I run it. Thought... Could the vacuum leaks have raised pressure in the crankcase, forcing oil around the seals? Maybe that's why the leak is now minimal?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: