Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

This car is going to drive me insane. I love it, but I don't' know if I can trust it...

After successfully replacing my dead fuel pump I went for a test drive. I had driven my car for all of about 15 minutes when I heard a loud POP! The engine immediately died and I coasted to the side of the road. When I checked the engine, I found that the distributor cap had a huge hole in it, and was cracked basically in half. The cap inside was destroyed, and about a third of the magnetic pickup was split off. This is what I found:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What the heck happened?
I now need to order a new Billet Distributor (I think anyway) but I'm just scratching my head about what would have caused this...
Any ideas?

And while we're at it, any suggestions on what a good replacement would be? (I'm just starting to research.,,)

My car is out of commission until I fix it, and that's no good. I really like driving this car!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Well basically it blew up.

I guess a few things could cause it. Something broke/came apart or maybe a buildup of fumes was just right and it thought it was a cylinder.

I've never seen one come apart like that so I'll guess it was a mini bomb. Is there a vent?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

The rotor should have been attached to the distributor shaft with two small screws -- yours appear to be missing.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The rotor should have been attached to the distributor shaft with two small screws -- yours appear to be missing.

This is my thought as well. I have never seen a distributor cap explode. Wow!

If the distributor is truly mag pic-up. Clones can be found on eBay for about $100. Don't buy the cheapest and you really don't have to buy the most expensive either.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162599772400?hash=item25dbb3a0f0:g:FHcAAOSwJrpZciCv

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

I’ve seen several Distributors explode like that in twenty plus years of working on distributors. The jumping spark from points creates ozone which is flammable. It’s for this reason that distributors do have a vent system built into them. In your case with no spark it’s a different cause.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Ozone is NOT flammable. Ozone CAN be an oxidizer (in very controlled conditions) but would need a fuel source to combine with to cause an fire/explosion. I cant think of anything inside a distributor that would be a fuel source to combine with O3 that would cause an explosion.

There appear to be impact marks on the inside of the cap, which would seem to indicate something either came loose or broke and beat the cap and rotor into submission.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

The rotor must have let loose.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Loose distributor shaft due to worn bushings or the shaft itself. Perhaps there was no lubrication to the shaft.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Look closely. What's missing here?

Here's a clue:

Another clue:

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Yes, the missing screws was already pointed out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Yes, the missing screws was already pointed out.

I know they were, because I was the one who pointed them out. Figured it'd be useful to add some pictures for the visual learners. Wink
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

The rotor put on loosely can cause this. It can be serious if the rotor gets stuck in between the shaft and something else as it can bend the shaft. It's rare but it's something I look out for in distributors. After you find the issue and get back up and running you should check all firing points to make sure they are equidistant from one another.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
The rotor put on loosely can cause this.

On this distributor the rotor is held on with 2 machine screws.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Does this dist exist with vacuum advance? This seems like a perfect candidate to use with a GM HEI mounted remotely... and is adjustable.

Looks to be a real deal mag pickup dist.

-Frank
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
This is my thought as well. I have never seen a distributor cap explode. Wow!

If the distributor is truly mag pic-up. Clones can be found on eBay for about $100. Don't buy the cheapest and you really don't have to buy the most expensive either.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162599772400?hash=item25dbb3a0f0:g:FHcAAOSwJrpZciCv

Thanks everyone for your responses. When I removed the old distributor, it was just full of pieces parts. And there was only one screw, which was jammed under the spinning copper wheel thingy. So I'm betting you guys are right... One or both of the screws came loose and then just did a high-speed blender routine until the cap blew apart. I dumped it all in a box:

I ordered the ebay item that 67rustavenger recommended. I don't know if they actually sent me the same part as advertised because this one is a TSP Red Cap VW Pro Series Pro Billet Distributor JM7650R and not the MAXX 66541R Billet Electronic Distributor that is listed. I'm not too picky though as long as it works.

Anyway, after a swearing bout trying to get little O-rings on the shaft to fit down inside the block, a little research to see why it sounded like $hit when I started it, then correcting my ID10T error by putting the the plug wires on correctly this time, she started right up!

Seems to be running well now. I went for a test drive and fingers/eye/toes crossed, it ran really good. Tomorrow if the weather is nice I'll go for a longer drive to see how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone here... the help is greatly appreciated!
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

So, this is what happens when a MagnaSpark implodes

69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Nice to hear the eBay clone worked out for ya. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

adventurebob wrote:
Ozone is NOT flammable. Ozone CAN be an oxidizer (in very controlled conditions) but would need a fuel source to combine with to cause an fire/explosion. I cant think of anything inside a distributor that would be a fuel source to combine with O3 that would cause an explosion.

There appear to be impact marks on the inside of the cap, which would seem to indicate something either came loose or broke and beat the cap and rotor into submission.

Ive seen diagrams that call out the little vents on the bottom side of distributor housings ozone vents. Someone figured out that those vents are necessary. Sometimes you see factory holes in the caps. If ozone is not flammable why does the vent exist?

ok Ozone is not flammable BUT it reacts more substantially than ordinary oxygen when something is burning- or sparking making it a fire hazard that needs to be vented so my original statement still stands.

A spark occurs at a very rapid rate inside a distributor, seems like a source of ignition for both an engine or a fire. There should be grease and could be oil inside a distributor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

Phydous wrote:
Tomorrow if the weather is nice I'll go for a longer drive to see how it goes.

Sorry for the self quote here, but I did go for about 45 min around the local neighborhood and staying close to home jic. So far so good. Seems to be running okay.

Honestly, being at this point is such a huge milestone for me. That car sat in the same spot for a LONG time while I fiddled with suspension, wheels, brakes, lights, electrical, engine swap, new seat install, some body work, etc. all the while I kept telling my wife "I can't WAIT to drive it!" So now I can drive it (on good days) and it feels. so. awesome. I still have a long way to go with things I want to do, like sound deadening, new interior, rubber seals, exterior paint, audio system, etc. but being able to drive is so sweet.

I've wanted to participate in the "Take a picture of your VW next to a ..." thread for years, so one of these days I'll be there!

Thanks again for all of your help!
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Billet Distributor Disintegration Reply with quote

I'm more of a "keep-it-stock" guy but your Bug looks really nice.
Screams the word Fun just parked.
Enjoy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: