Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Grille behind ashtray
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

I see some sites call it a dash speaker grille for 80-86. Was / Is there supposed to be some sort if stereo speaker in there?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

Many years ago I recall there were some radios sold that had the head unit and speaker all as one with the speaker on the top pointing up.

That combo would work with the Vanagon dash though I never saw one that way.

I, too, wondered what that thing was for.
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

I pulled the grille part off and there is perforated holes underneath with a mount below almost like a dash support. But I still don’t see the point of the grille itself.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

In days gone by, radios in cars were a luxury item and were pretty basic things.

There was no stereo and most often but one speaker.
That one speaker was most often mounted under the dash, front and center.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

The dash on my '81 is off right now. Had pondered what to do with that grill. Can't see any reason to install a speaker.

Herb garden? Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

it was for an oval sepaker for a mono radio
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/speaker-t3-dash.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ZsZ on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

(to above) an excellent mounting point for phone holder and other accessories. Ditch the suction cup and bolt through existing hole(s)

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

That makes sense, was it a 4x6 speaker? Has me wondering if I would wire it to the left or right channel.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

scwright99 wrote:
That makes sense, was it a 4x6 speaker? Has me wondering if I would wire it to the left or right channel.

Probably makes no difference if you have a “mono” setting on your head unit. Otherwise you will get only the left or right channel. But a center-mounted speaker is so old school, not sure why you would want to.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
(to above) an excellent mounting point for phone holder and other accessories. Ditch the suction cup and bolt through existing hole(s)
My grill was missing and I have the mess of holes as noted. I screwed my Marine Fan through a couple of the holes- very handy… Very Happy
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

That's where my dimetrodon navigator (Finn) rides.

Meanwhile Hiker Joe is locked in an eternal battle with Donatello and Stickman practices his dance moves.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

Incredibly clean garage. Must be nice to have enough room to park cars 90º to each other.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Grille behind ashtray Reply with quote

Incredibly clean garage. Must be nice to have enough room to park cars 90º to each other.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: