Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I just picked this up a couple weeks ago and tomorrow I go to see about getting a rear end for it. It did hold the class D national record back in '87 with an 1835cc engine. I will be trying to bring it back to life over time.

1980s...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

daaaaang dats coo
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

You can.

Once. Laughing
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

PhillipM wrote:
You can.

Once. Laughing

Laughing Shocked Laughing
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Mo parts! Live axle, intermediate housing, wheels, pedals...

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Many years ago (sort of pre monster truck era) local group sponsored mud bog runs.... Fellow had a VW rail very similar to one pictured here only difference was small wide tires on front, he wound it up dumped clutch and made it to end of pit in seconds, made the "big" trucks look really bad (as in terrible)....

Secret was he was so light and had enough power he just sort of skipped across top of mud....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I remember a vw hydraulically driven 4wd got outlawed for that and indoors it could flat out run, throw a lever and reverse the system to slam on the brakes.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Found out it was about 550lbs without driver Shocked
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Disassemble...

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

This live axle set up sat in a shop for years. The side cover bearings are locked up solid. So, that was the excuse to go through and clean/lube whatever can and needs to be.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Everything for the live axle has been cleaned, emory clothed and made ready for assembly into the transaxle. As soon as my superbeetle mainshaft arrives, we will start to assemble. Woot!
pickuptrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

cool, Im curious to see how that lie axle fits into the car!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

it goes right through the transaxle and replaces swing/IRS axles. Everything else in the transaxle is the same. In the sand car, I will only be using 1st and second gear. When it moves over to the 1/8th or 1/4 mile, the other gears come into play.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

This spacer will move the axle farther back. It is a nicely built magnesium piece that only adds 15.75lbs.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I found me some 'training' paddle tires for the 1st hits this summer. The scoops are 1/2 tall and shallow.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Photo history of the car...

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Finally got the front wheels off the spindles to get bearing numbers. Inner bearings are Anglia (no surprise) but the outers are Bantom. So... the search is on.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Bantam dragster part might be what you're looking for?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bantam+dragster&am...efox-b-1-d
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

550 is what my old Digger weight Cool

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Nice ride!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: