Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Acapulco Database
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Hillbilly73 wrote:
My wife and I recent purchased a June of 74 Acapulco
My question is, out of the 400
How many are left?

Probably more than 400. The Acapulco appearance and options are easily obtainable and command a premium in the market, so there are a lot of non-factory-original Acapulco's in existence.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
We recently bought a 36K-mile Acapulco in its original paint with original upholstery. It's an amazing find, the nicest one I've ever seen.

Do you have the original Mexican invoice stating it is an Acapulco?

To my knowledge Original Acapulcos were built by order of the Hotel Princess as Guest Movers and they were only sold in Mexico to the Princess Hotel.

Every Mexican Car from that era has to have two documents, the original invoice and the Vehicular Federal Registry which is a sticker on the widshield and a card with the vehicle data. I have both for my '72.

It is also permited when companies sell assets like cars to provide an invoice with their own RFC "Federal Registry of Contibutors" (Tax Number) so if you have the original invoice where the original owner is listed as the hotel princess or the Invoice from the Princess when the asset was sold, then you for sure have an original Acapulco.

Any other 181 which was customised by either owners or dealers and did not come out of the Puebla plant already configured as Acapulco, would most certanly not be considered an Original Acapulco.
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I find it very hard to believe that there were only 400 1974 Acapulco's made for United States sales. I have owned two, and I guarantee they both were authentic Acapulco's, never restored. Both totally original. The first one now lives in the Tampa Florida area. The second one I still have. 30,000 miles and close to being perfect. It was the first Acapulco to receive a HPOF badge from Antique Automobile Club of America. I believe it is still the only Acapulco to receive this award. HPOF means HISTORIC PRESERVATION OF ORIGINAL FEATURES. That means the judges have examined it and found it to be more than 95% showroom original and more than 95% showroom new condition. I have all three tops, Fiberglass, Folding, and Surrey. I am the third owner. The first owner was the head if training at the Terrytown, NY GM assembly plant. The second owner was a retired mechanical engineer. The fourth owner will be my granddaughter. If anyone can actually confirm how many Acapulco's were delivered and sold in the US I would be grateful for the information. I have made one addition to the Thing. A BLAZECUT, photos attached.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Gene Kisner wrote:
I find it very hard to believe that there were only 400 1974 Acapulco's made for United States sales. I have owned two, and I guarantee they both were authentic Acapulco's, never restored. Both totally original. The first one now lives in the Tampa Florida area. The second one I still have. 30,000 miles and close to being perfect. It was the first Acapulco to receive a HPOF badge from Antique Automobile Club of America. I believe it is still the only Acapulco to receive this award. HPOF means HISTORIC PRESERVATION OF ORIGINAL FEATURES. That means the judges have examined it and found it to be more than 95% showroom original and more than 95% showroom new condition. I have all three tops, Fiberglass, Folding, and Surrey. I am the third owner. The first owner was the head if training at the Terrytown, NY GM assembly plant. The second owner was a retired mechanical engineer. The fourth owner will be my granddaughter. If anyone can actually confirm how many Acapulco's were delivered and sold in the US I would be grateful for the information. I have made one addition to the Thing. A BLAZECUT, photos attached.

A/C too? Was that standard on Acapulcos? If you can, I’d love to see a picture of the dash setup for the air conditioning.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

The only thing that was standard on an Acapulco was a folding top and a surrey top. All other items were factory supplied, or factory authorized, and dealer installed. Even radio's had to be dealer installed. VW offered AC as a dealer installed item. You can find pictures, and descriptions, of AC under dash systems in the VW literature of 73 and 74. Actually they used several different suppliers of the equipment. Therefore you may find slight differences in appearance. If you cannot furnish documentation to AACA judges showing such items were legit, it negates eligibility for the HPOF award and cost points in other judged classes. The judges approved my change of the compressor due to R-12 refrigerant being replaced by R-134A.

Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Hi Gene, what size Blazecut did you use? The 20" T050E or the 44" T100E?
Thanks.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Use the 200 series, which is 2 meters (84 inches) in length.
Come on guys? I post all those great pictures of our SUPER CLEAN Acapulco, showing details of the compressor and the evaporator (fan coil section) and all I get is, "how long a BlazeCut did you use". Not one "atta boy", not one comment about how nice it is? You really know how to hurt a guy. Remember, this Acapulco is driven, never trailered.
Enough of my jokes.
If you want to know more about the BlazeCut installation view my photos and comments in The Samba Forum posted June 19, 2019 and June 20, 2019.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Gene..."atta boy" hahaha...really nice impressive Thing. Thanks much for the reply re: Blazecut, and the photos. I need to install on both VWs.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Incredible Thing.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Gene
This has to be the best example of a Thing AC system out there!
The engine bay is very nice as well.
What is your center console and gear shift.. are they 74 dealer installed ?

I love your joking comment on not getting a response. Thing owners are very unique people. You could post a picture of a Thing landing on Mars & you might not get a comment for a few days ( LOL )
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I always thought the ‘glove box’ doors were a more recent invention and not available when new. In all honesty, you have my dream Thing. I have five year old twins, and only one Thing. Someday I would like to acquire an Acapulco so they can each inherit a 181.

Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Captain Obvious says:
"WOW, that is a super nice and pristine Acapulco."

I know I was kinda blown away by the vehicle and it made me dumbfounded to be able to reply......

Much nicer than my car......
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Does the A/C work, and if so, does it actually do anything? It’d be pretty cool driving around in a Thing in the dead of summer with the windows ‘up.’

FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
I always thought the ‘glove box’ doors were a more recent invention and not available when new. In all honesty, you have my dream Thing. I have five year old twins, and only one Thing. Someday I would like to acquire an Acapulco so they can each inherit a 181.

The parts manual marks it as available from '75 PN 181 857 121
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

If anyone wants a project Acapulco here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/10813155...d433f3b484

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Yes, THE AC WORKS GREAT!!
It maintains a discharge air temperature of 45 degrees F.
With the new compressor in place it only cost me 3 to 4 MPH on an five mile long 8% grade. I live in the West Virginia hills and mountains. Everything is either UP or DOWN. We only have two throttle positions, FULL ON or FULL OFF.
If you go to The Samba, Archives, Thing, All Brochures, 1974, Sales Brochure - English, then select the very bottom page. You will find pictures of the Console, the Shift Lever, and the shift Knob.
Next, go to the 1975 Sales Brochure - English, select the next to the last page on the right, the bottom right photo #18, is a photo of the original AC system offered.
Believe it, or not, you can currently purchase this exact AC system from Gilmore Enterprises, Las Vegas, NV. gilmore-enterprises.net The Karmann=Ghia unit is the identical unit for the THING.
The glove compartment door, in several different variations, has always been available. If you were satisfied with loosing the space you could even get one with a cut out for the radio.
Keep the questions coming.
Do you realize how hard it is to restrain myself from adding or changing anything. I have to remove the quartz headlamps and reinstall the originals for judging. I even have to remove the West Virginia University logo license plate for judging, since the "Flying WV" logo didn't exist until 1980.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Hello, I just sold one that I owned her for 32 years, It was on the SAMBA Board for 3 months...

bobbylast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I have a mystery but my vin # is in the ballpark. Has running boards and the hard ware is right. Problem is someone sand blasted the entire car and primered everything with dtm. No hints of oem paint. No door stickers or even any wiring. All stamped #s match and motor and transmission are correct although they were out when I got it. Any help is appreciated.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/77B49vV3QVKwP3R1A
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Bobbylast: do the mounting nuts that are part of the rocker, for attaching the running boards, look factory? They are a blind female nut welded into the inside of the rocker. If so it's highly likely your car is an Acapulco.
bobbylast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Bobbylast: do the mounting nuts that are part of the rocker, for attaching the running boards, look factory? They are a blind female nut welded into the inside of the rocker. If so it's highly likely your car is an Acapulco.

I'll look tomorrow I'm off.. any pics of how it should look would be appreciated thx
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: