Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
I find it frustrating that none of the metal can off the shelf filters state what micron size they use, looked at Cater website, nothing there either.

https://mzwmotor.com/fuel-filter-cross-reference-guide/

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

In a similar boat to OP.....(approx 44 idf's pushing approx 150hp)....and curious about a couple things....

#1.) Difference between the Carter vs the Facet/Holly/MrGasket style pumps?

#2.) Mr. Gasket 42S vs Holley 12425 (aka 12-425) vs Holleyy 12426 (aka 12-426)

42S ----> 2-4 psi
12425 -----> 1.5-2.5 psi
12426 -------> 2-4 psi

Interestingly.....42s is a 42gph @ similar psi to the 2 Holleys at 25gph

P.S. 30 years ago I ran a facet & worked fine, just noisy. Never knew all this "psi careful" theory back then so looking to run in appropriate psi range with no reglator this time around.
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Thanks Dale M for that handy cross ref.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I have a few carter pumps that work well, and an old square Faucet working great too. Not all of them live forever tho.
Lots of low quality cheapies out there and sometimes the brand doesen't even mean anything.

The MR gasket brand has never been a sign of quality, but I'm sure not all of it is junk. Of everything on the market today I really don't know.
Even Faucet and Carter have moved production a few times and made some duds. But if you look there are not just one but actually several different versions of each.

So probably..... buy from a respected source, look at where it's made, don't cheap out, you can probably get a good pump.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I have a few carter pumps that work well, and an old square Faucet working great too. Not all of them live forever tho.
Lots of low quality cheapies out there and sometimes the brand doesen't even mean anything.

The MR gasket brand has never been a sign of quality, but I'm sure not all of it is junk. Of everything on the market today I really don't know.
Even Faucet and Carter have moved production a few times and made some duds. But if you look there are not just one but actually several different versions of each.

So probably..... buy from a respected source, look at where it's made, don't cheap out, you can probably get a good pump.

Specifically, I was just curious why it's round vs rectangular like the others.....and trying to go safely around 3psi.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I’ve used the 90091 without a regulator for 10 plus years on a 2276, and a 2234 with 48 IDF’s on my road race car. I liked that they were made in the U.S. and worked well.
A couple years ago, I was disappointed to see Carter started having the pumps made in China. I’ve since had two of them fail on me.😠. One died from having a good amount of water in the fuel(which surprised me). The second one just failed in short order.
There’s a reason the price is kinda low on them.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I don't know what the deal is with the facet "posi-flo" pumps.
They look cheap, they cost less, maybe they are better maybe they are worse, but they also don't make one to put out 3psi so....oh well

Facet has the CUBE #40171
2-3.5 psi
and it at least resembles units we know have worked well.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone's mentioned these but I've actually used the holley red and regulator with a pair of IDAs in the past. Worked great.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this Carter pump “Carter P90091” is available over the counter anywhere….didn’t see it on the NAPA or O’Reilly websites. My carter pump which I purchased about 10yrs ago & which has never seen a drop of gasoline is locked up. It worked(I could hear it run) about 4mths ago when I was doing an initial install in my project.
Decided to tidy up some wiring, connected power & pump would only a make single click sound when power is applied nothing else. Frustrating when your working on something & you have to wait a week to get a part as opposed to driving across town to pick it up.

Is there an over the counter source or equivalent for this pump?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Does anyone know if this Carter pump “Carter P90091” is available over the counter anywhere….didn’t see it on the NAPA or O’Reilly websites. My carter pump which I purchased about 10yrs ago & which has never seen a drop of gasoline is locked up. It worked(I could hear it run) about 4mths ago when I was doing an initial install in my project.
Decided to tidy up some wiring, connected power & pump would only a make single click sound when power is applied nothing else. Frustrating when your working on something & you have to wait a week to get a part as opposed to driving across town to pick it up.

Is there an over the counter source or equivalent for this pump?

Just order from summit. Ships fast and cheap
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
mturner7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Hey, I know this is an old post, but had to comment:

I ran into the same issue for my build, I ended up with a Holley Mighty Mite Electric Fuel Pump 12-427, 7psi max. Also comes with a very good pre-filter. Got it at Summit

Then purchased a Fuel Pressure regulator, variable 1.5-12psi. from LC Engineering. This way I could tune it to the best psi.

The Weber's should be run between 3.2 to 3.5 psi. I run my Weber 44's at 3.5psi.

Before I was running a Carter Fuel pump, my car was running like crap. I took it off and tested it, it was sputtering between 1.0psi and 2.5psi.
I think it was going lower, but it is hard to catch with a fuel pressure gauge.

My car was cutting out sometimes, I thought it was a dirty carb or timing, but it was the Carter pump. This was a bear to troubleshoot.

Never thought it would be the fuel pump. The Carter pump has a fixed psi between 3.2 to 3.5 based on the voltage of the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installed in my car. My car, 1974-Porsche 914-4, Big Bore to 2.1L, runs great now.

Monte
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

This one looks like a possibility over the counter replacement to the carter:

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-systems/universal-fu...349165_0_0
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

This one is good, set one up last year for a carb conversion-

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/fuel-pump...?rrec=true

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: