Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change Reply with quote

2003 MV with 112,000 miles on it. Front end alignment done in July, about 5,000 miles of driving since then with the steering feeling very good with excellent self centering under all conditions during those miles.

I recently noticed that my steering was feeling like it was binding somewhere. Where before it could easily be driven with one handed minimal inputs, it suddenly was taking more effort to turn the wheel and after any steering input to make a turn or change lanes, or even very minor steering adjustments, where before, it would always self-center,...it now only partially returns to the center point, and requires two hands on the wheel to accurately bring it back to where it needs to be. I have read that the self centering function of steering on all cars is a function of "Caster" angle designed into modern steering systems,....and frequently not adjustable on newer cars.
Wondering if this is a common Eurovan issue and if so, what the fix is. Hoping its not a steering rack replacement. I do have some new ball joints coming from FCP that I ordered before noticing the steering was feeling like it was binding.

Brian in Austin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change Reply with quote

Ooof, that isn’t good. It would have to be a massive fault in steering geometry to cause that. Get the front end up in the air and feel the operation of the rack, engine off. Feel for any lumps, binding, popping etc.

You can isolate rack from ball joint binding by popping off the tie rod ends on each side, in order.

I don’t like steering rack failures, being able to point the nose is pretty important at 60 mph.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Ooof, that isn’t good. It would have to be a massive fault in steering geometry to cause that. Get the front end up in the air and feel the operation of the rack, engine off. Feel for any lumps, binding, popping etc.

You can isolate rack from ball joint binding by popping off the tie rod ends on each side, in order.

I don’t like steering rack failures, being able to point the nose is pretty important at 60 mph.

Good idea on popping off the tie rod ends Steve. When you say “in order”, do you mean to pop them off one at a time to potentially isolate a problem to the right or left side?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change Reply with quote

Not sure how the rack is configured on our Eurovans, but typically a non-return to center is often caused by worn out steering rack bushings.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change Reply with quote

I did my rack bushing on my pre eurovan vanagon, not so bad.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering not self centering after a turn or lane change Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Good idea on popping off the tie rod ends Steve. When you say “in order”, do you mean to pop them off one at a time to potentially isolate a problem to the right or left side?

Correct. It will isolate a tie rod or ball joint problems on either side. If the rack is binding , it won’t isolate that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: