Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

There are two parts that "blow" on these... mostly we know they blow hot air inside the cabin to heat it up, but the other 'blow' is exhaust. Both combustion intake and exhaust are supposed to be outside the bus. [If this is not the case, correct it.]

Therefore, I believe you are talking about smoke coming from the heat output inside the bus. Once in a while a story like this comes up regarding several internal components that suspend the heater core from the case. These can be made from the wrong kind of material, I've heard of it happening... So, perhaps the heater core melted the standoffs, and is now effectively burning, or at least smoking the plastic stuff it has melted onto.

This meltdown can also happen if you suddenly loose power to the full cranking heater. Normal operation has a cool-down cycle. If that cool down didn't happen, you'd be looking at a meltdown problem.

Hope you get it sorted!

-bobby
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/2240732.jpg

I got the CDH running "perfectly" for the first night, 48 degrees so didn't run it much, started up fine in the morning. Later that day filled the tank with another gallon of diesel and that night after running fine for maybe 20 minutes the white smoke started, a lot. Didn't run it, the co2 alarm didn't go off but was registering an amount of co2. Of course it was in the 30's last night. Trying to figure what what changed and why all this white smoke? Drove on the beach but the air intake filter looks fine, hasn't been sprayed with sand or water that I can tell. Seems like the only change was adding fuel to the tank. I was going to switch the fuel filter from the original to an eberspacher but it had a larger connector and I couldn't fit the fuel line to it. Primed the pump as I could see a few bubbles in the line between the filter and the pump. Still blowing white smoke. Any ideas?[/img]

First, I assume you meant to post the URL of the larger picture, not the thumbnail. It also helps to put it in img tags...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now we can see the white smoke is outside, not inside. I also assume you have a CO meter, not a CO˛ meter You really shouldn't be reading any inside - 30-50ppm is OK in the exhaust.

The white smoke is from being too heavily fuelled - you need to adjust the air/fuel ratio. This is not trivial on the standard controllers. Sad
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

First, I assume you meant to post the URL of the larger picture, not the thumbnail. It also helps to put it in img tags...

Amateur poster, Embarassed

Yes, the smoke is outside, the smell did drift inside though so we shut it off to be safe. The CO monitor registered, maybe 35, inside the Vanagon (not sure, I saw a number not 0 and shut it down).

The first startup, before venturing off, I seemed to smell some plastic burning but chalked it up to "brand new unit" smell. I'll take it a look inside but unfortunately I don't really know what I'm looking for. Then see if I can master the air/fuel mixture. I currently am using the simple, three button, controller that came with it.

Thanks for the clues!

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
'85 Westfalia, 2 Jetta's, Fox, Cabriolet, Bugs
Rolled over in a '65 VW bus my mom was driving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:
fxr wrote:

Amateur poster, Embarassed

Yes, the smoke is outside, the smell did drift inside though so we shut it off to be safe. The CO monitor registered, maybe 35, inside the Vanagon (not sure, I saw a number not 0 and shut it down).

The first startup, before venturing off, I seemed to smell some plastic burning but chalked it up to "brand new unit" smell. I'll take it a look inside but unfortunately I don't really know what I'm looking for. Then see if I can master the air/fuel mixture. I currently am using the simple, three button, controller that came with it.

Thanks for the clues!

Have a good read through all the FAQs and videos here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10223382808229836&set=pcb.866525714004485
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I had heavy white smoke,
eventually discovered that my exhaust
was too long, too restrictive.

I made the exhaust as short as possible,
avoiding bends. The 'exhaust' is not like
an internal combustion engine. It has
little pressure and it directly affects
the combustion process.

Success! no more white smoke.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
[/img]

Curious, where is your intake?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
I had heavy white smoke,
eventually discovered that my exhaust
was too long, too restrictive.

I made the exhaust as short as possible,
avoiding bends. The 'exhaust' is not like
an internal combustion engine. It has
little pressure and it directly affects
the combustion process.

Success! no more white smoke.

What temp is that silicone hose rated for? My exhaust outlet pipe gets hotter than any of the silicone hose I could get at my FLAPS (500-600F). I wrapped the metal exhaust in exhaust wrap to prevent the surroundings from getting too hot.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

The silicon tape hasn't melted,
It's designed so the exhaust
could be easily removed by turning
the oversized hose clamp and lifting out.

My CDH is self contained and can
be entirely removed in less than
5 minutes to provide more
storage under the rear seat
in the summer.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

FWIW: I also have high-temp silicone hose in my exhaust run, holding up well for 3 years of occasional short-term use.
Full disclosure/disclaimer: I'm NOT a full-timer!

OTOH, what can I do to get you guys to install your muffler(s) with the drain hole at the bottom...??? Just asking... Wink

Further FWIW...my install (again):

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Have a good read through all the FAQs and videos here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10223382808229836&set=pcb.866525714004485

Great resource! I assembled them into a pdf if anyone is interested. This way I've got this on my iPhone, easy to find when the CDH is acting up.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/bf844b6b-47c3-4dba-7b1e-ba31b1041c73

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

seattlesombrero wrote:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/bf844b6b-47c3-4dba-7b1e-ba31b1041c73
Thanks! I downloaded it!
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Successfully got the CDH to run after replacing the supplied fuel line with a hard nylon line and shortened it. I'd like to place the fuel tank in the space behind the passenger tail light inside the engine compartment, similar to one I've seen on here, (that one was behind the drivers tail light). On the passenger side I could then put a Synchro style fuel filler for the diesel tank below that spot. Other than cutting a hole in the body to install the filler are there any downsides to this plan? VanCafe has the filler housing and cap, I just need to find the connection hose to the tank itself.

Bonus on that is to further confuse all the #vanlife wannabes that always ask, "Cool van, is that a Synchro?" Razz

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

What if you modified a Vanagon-Life MPV vent to accommodate your filler neck? I added a filler on the 2wd driver side. It is nice to have that filler neck lower because some Kerosene refill hoses are like 2ft from pump to nozzle.
seattlesombrero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
What if you modified a Vanagon-Life MPV vent to accommodate your filler neck? I added a filler on the 2wd driver side. It is nice to have that filler neck lower because some Kerosene refill hoses are like 2ft from pump to nozzle.

Hmmm, interesting. Investigating this....

'90 Westfalia GL + EJ25
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I tried to search the 10s of Thousands of Post but didn't see my Question.
Also didn't want to start a new topic so hope someone knows?

I recently purchased the Webasto Air Top 2000 STC
But no where in the instructions does it specify anything about Clearances.

Does anyone know what is the minimum clearance required when mounting inside of the Vanagon?

Or how hot the outer shell of the heater will get. I have the Diesel Version.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

WestyDreamer wrote:
I tried to search the 10s of Thousands of Post but didn't see my Question.
Also didn't want to start a new topic so hope someone knows?

I recently purchased the Webasto Air Top 2000 STC
But no where in the instructions does it specify anything about Clearances.

Does anyone know what is the minimum clearance required when mounting inside of the Vanagon?

Or how hot the outer shell of the heater will get. I have the Diesel Version.

I have emailed customer service at Webasto and they got right back to me. Give it a try.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I'm really becoming of the opinion that kerosene isn't needed as long as you're running clean, modern, ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel. It's certainly easier to find -- and cheaper -- than kerosene.

I have a 5KW heater in my garage/shop, the cheapest one I could find on eBay at the time of purchase. I ran it for a week last February, strapped to a board shoved in the living room window with the exhaust outside, when we lost power for a week in our all-electric house, running on diesel because nobody had any kerosene for sale. It ran a constant 3-3.5hz tickover 24 hours a day, and at the end of it when I checked the insides there was no sign of sooty buildup in the combustion chamber. I've been running it 24/7 the last few weeks again on regular pump diesel (5% biodiesel/95%petrodiesel in Oregon), mostly at a 2hz tickover to keep the space from getting too cold at night, cranking it up to 4-4.5hz when I'm out there working on things.

All the temperature bars stay lit on the controller, no sooty buildup in the tailpipe, it just keeps going. So I'm going to keep running it on diesel until it gives me problems. Laughing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

tristessa, what's your fuel consumption rate running like that as a constant space heater? 2-3gal a day?

and for those looking for a alternative fuel tank idea.
I've bought one of these 3gal Stainless steel 'sprayer' tanks to convert to an underbelly fuel tank..
conversion will be in the spring I fear though.
but replacing the pump hole with a fuel fill (bulkhead) fitting
the spray hose hole to the fuel fill vent.. allow air out to fill quicker
and the pressure gauge port to a dip tube like a weedeater/chainsaw *filter on a hose inside
it's the cheapest SS tank I could find I'd be ok putting fuel in.
gaskets are rated for heavy chemica use so should be good with Diesel/Kero.
Tank Diam is 8in, I forget the length.. between 2ft-3ft

3gal ss sprayer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222655934972
4gal ss sprayer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292507962545

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
tristessa, what's your fuel consumption rate running like that as a constant space heater? 2-3gal a day?

If I just leave it running a low 2.0Hz tickover like that, about 4-5 days from a 5 gallon tank, less if I ramp it up. I've got a 5-gallon spun aluminum buggy tank mounted to the exterior of the wall for fuel, the heater is mounted to the inside of the wall above it with the heater exhaust blowing towards the tank. There's a "warm zone" partitioned off from the main garage with partial walls, a ceiling and some Harbor Freight moving blankets hanging down from the joists. That area stays toasty for the computer and 3D printers and air compressor and stuff as long as it doesn't drop below freezing, even though the blankets stop 8-10 inches above the floor and the entrance door doesn't seal worth a damn. Even when it gets below freezing here like it did last week, it stayed in the mid 40s to mid 50s at that setting.
The warmth migrates from there into the rest of the garage and keeps it mostly on the cool side of decent even with all the air leaks and drafts I've got right now. The "warm zone" is t-shirt comfortable, the rest is sweatshirt-over-t-shirt climate.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Quick question:

I'm considering one of these for a garage heater.

I wouldn't do it right away, but I know that there is a controller that has been developed that allows lots more programmability and such which might be nice. And I recall that some of these heaters don't work with that one.

How do I tell if the heater I'm considering will work with it?

(And what is the name/seller, again?)

Thanks!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 64

Jump to: