Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

Hello guys
I post this quiestion in behalf of a friend I am helping with his project
We live in Venezuela so we are short on every thing and accses to goods from abroad is hard and costly so we relay mostly on we can find localy
Said that I will like to know is somebody already try son Firestone All Traction 215/85R15 all around with no lift at all
Any input will be highly appreciate
Thanks in advance and wishing you health to enjoy your rides
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

I ran 31x10.5 mud tires on the rear of my 72 with no lift. If I hit bumps really hard sometimes it would rub.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Build thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9762332
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

You can lift a VW with pretty much some tools and a welder, you can re-index the rear spring plates to raise the rear and do what is known as a "Cut and Turn" on the front beam to raise the front. What year VW are you working with?

Eq
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

Thanks for your fast response as I see in the pic although your car is notlift your rear fenders are cut but the cross section of your tires is much more than the 215/85 I want to use
The car is a 1976 Brazilian Beetle that mean is a mix of the German models but she has swing axle tranny and balljoint front end
the idea is cranck one spindle on the rear and adjusters at front
My friend is looking for a light off roading oriented toy more for the look and an ocaional unpaved road ride
Yesterday he decide to try the tires on the stock car and then made some desitions if they are too big he wiil use them in a Toyota FJ40 of his own so there is no waste atthe end
But I should said thatwe put together the originals 5.6 ply tires side by side with the A/T 215/85 and the differences is homongus
Will post some pics of the tires on the sock car as soon as the wheels return from paiting
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

I had fiberglass "Baja" fenders on in that pic. They are more forgiving on the rub I think.

Build thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9762332
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

Watch out for the cheap front adjusters that have aluminum parts in them, They will leave you stranded at the worst time when the teeth shear off from some hard use.
It hard to break a "Cut and Turned" front beam and all it takes is about 1/4" of turn to have the front as high as the ball joints will travel. Do 1 tube at a time to keep every thing straight, on your Swing axle put a 1/4" thick piece of square bar under the spring plate on the stop to limit drop so camber will not be to bad and tuck under in any hard cornering.
Do a search here for lift mods, You pretty much can do it for free if you have the know how and a few tools and access to a welder.

eQ
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

Ok guys tyres arrive and are on the car but as I supoused they are too big for a stock one
They are a set of 215/85 15 I could get locally so my questions are

1 how much could I lift the rear end using the spin the spindle way without having a noticiable stuck in the wheels

2 I want to use the kind of adjusters that weld on instead of cut/weld to keep things as simple as possible

3 Should this mods suffice my needs without cutting the fenders

4 Should I loock for a smaller tyres

Thanks in advance

plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

The rear tires shouldn't be a problem. If so one notch up on the torsion bar should work. As for the fronts; probably going to rub on the inner front fender lip, bend it over. Cut and turn is the strongest way to lift the front.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

Dang. Those are awesome.
You might be able to get away with rolling the outer edge of the fender. Not much needed to better allow the tires to fit beneath
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

Are those tires available in the US? those look good, I would find a tire shop that could shave the edges thought.

eQ
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Max tyre size on a standar '67 no lift Reply with quote

plotch wrote:
The rear tires shouldn't be a problem. If so one notch up on the torsion bar should work. As for the fronts; probably going to rub on the inner front fender lip, bend it over. Cut and turn is the strongest way to lift the front.

I guess this is the way to go cut and turn at front and a notch at back
the front tyres toch the fenders as they are some work shoud be perform I do not know if those tyres are available in US they are 215/85 R15
Thnaks I will keep you informof the progress
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: