Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock aux battery wiring/real time help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I was referring the the VW installed bundle of camper wires running from the dash area to the battery box area. Not the kitchen wiring bundle that was installed by Westfalia in various iterations. These VW installed wires are the blue, red/black, and red all in the same wiring sleeve.

Yes, I know. I was merely pointing out that the wiring diagram, albeit for a full-camper, shows the same bundle, but with the wire connected to the second 87 terminal.

And since the kitchen and diagrams were mentioned, I also wanted to point out that there are different installations in the full-campers: with aux battery and without, utilizing two different relays. My '90's wiring does not reflect what is shown in the camper diagram: It has a 4-pin cut-out relay as shown on "aux battery" page 97.225, not the 5-pin heater relay shown on "Camper from 1986" page 97.33b, which is making me need to redraw those diagrams, essentially combining the two pages listed. If I get ambitious, perhaps I'll draw one up for the missing Wolfsburg Weekender too.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdrickers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great thread, everyone. Thanks very much for all of the useful information here. I'm rather new to this forum and think it's an amazing resource as I attempt to install an aux battery in a '91 Multivan.
If I'm understanding correctly, to install a deep cycle battery only requires a 12 gauge wire and some connectors to connect straight from the aux battery to the #30 spade on the relay. Then ground the aux battery. After that, radio, cig lighter and interior lights, etc, will draw from the aux battery when the van is not running. The aux battery will then charge back up when the van is running. Can someone confirm this is correct or if I'll explode something doing this? Thanks again all.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to charge a small auxiliary battery(slowly) via the stock fridge relay under the driver's seat. The main bottlenecke will be the thin, old stock wires that limit the current to the battery considerably. You should basically think of this type of setup as a "trickle charger" and may want to consider hooking the auxiliary battery up to a shore power (120VAC) "Smart" battery charger when convenient to give the battery a more complete charge.

If you do choose to use the stock relay to charge the auxiliary battery, connect a 10AWG wire from terminal #30 on the relay to the positive post of the auxiliary battery (install a 20A inline fuse to protect the wire as close to the battery positive post as possible for extra protection). This wire will deliver power from the alternator to the auxiliary battery whenever the van is running.

Ground the new auxiliary battery using the same gauge (or larger) wire to the chassis of the van. I like to take advantage of the unused threaded boss welded to the aisle side of the driver's side under-seat compartment as a grounding point. A 7/16 fine thread bolt (3/4" long) fits into the threaded boss nicely. You can remove one of the seat belt bolts and bring it to the hardware / auto parts store with you to ensure that you get the correct bolt, since the seat belt bolt it is the exact same thread size and diameter.

Use a 1/2" ring terminal to attach the ground wire. Check the size of the battery connections and be sure to grab a couple extras in case you get a bad crimp or decide to change a wiring path after installing a terminal.

If you don't have easy access to the supplies needed to complete your install, shoot me a PM and I can set you up with whatever you need to complete the job at fair prices.

Once the auxiliary battery is installed and charging, it is time to get some use out of it. To get power from the auxiliary battery up to the front of the van to power the radio, interior lights, etc. you will need to run a new (fused) wire from the auxiliary battery positive post up to the dash. Details on the procedure can be found on my website here: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrela...iary-power

There are hundreds of posts about improved charging methods for the auxiliary battery that will allow quicker and more complete recharging. Searching for terms like "ACR", "Blue Sea Systems", "Yandina" or "Sure Power" will bring up lots of results.

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Wonderful post, as always from you.

Folks, If it's electrical, and Jay tells you to do it, follow his advice and be happy. He knows his stuff!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdrickers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Jay! Really appreciate it!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm looking at the stock setup on my '86 Westy Weekender (Aux battery box, cables & relay
under driver's seat - originally supplied power to passenger seat pedestal port for electric cooler)...

I suspect the old relay is bad. Would this be a good affordable replacement (at half the cost of Yandina)?

http://www.newark.com/white-rodgers/120-901/contac...oss_price=

Just looking to get back to operational for now - all my real money is going into AC overhaul this year! Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are what I often use. That one is the real deal, from White-Rodgers. Like what SurePower uses in their 1314A and 1315A Separators.

Mark

dhaavers wrote:
I suspect the old relay is bad. Would this be a good affordable replacement (at half the cost of Yandina)?

http://www.newark.com/white-rodgers/120-901/contac...oss_price=
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Time to go shopping...thanks!

thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't already order, you might consider using the 120-902 model instead, which is rated for 15V instead of 12V.

The specs rate these as continuous duty at up to 110% of rated coil voltage. With the 12V model, that is only 13.2V. http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?fn=393.pdf

Since we like to see about 14V at the battery terminals, it would seem that the 120-902 is a better choice and sells for the same price.

Actuation is rated down to 75% of rated coil voltage (11.25V for the 15V version).

I totally agree with Mark about the White Rodgers relays being a great choice for people wanting to use a triggered relay as a battery isolator. I used one in a friend's van about ten years ago and it has been totally flawless.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Jay and Mark - very helpful as usual.

120-902 it shall be...still just $25... Cool

http://www.newark.com/white-rodgers/120-902/contac...+CONTACTOR

simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurface this thread again, but did anyone figure out where the 5th wire (3rd red wire), the one on the center relay terminal, actually goes on a 85 Wolfsburg Weekender???

I am hooking mine up for the first time, and cant figure where that one goes to. It's in the tube with the blu and red/blk.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading up on isolators, separators, differences etc. Of the solenoid type separators I've seen online, none seem to specify contact material. The 901 and 901 have silver alloy contacts. (standard for continuous duty solenoids?)

For a budget install, this part looks great.
Thanks!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
skelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stock aux battery wiring/real time help Reply with quote

Halfway into installing go westy aux battery bundle on my 85 westy weekender. Unimpressed so far. The hole they have me threading the 3 wires through the bottom of the seat is too small for the connectors they have installed on the wires. Instructions don't even mention all the wiring coming from my stock under-seat relay. I'm also not excited to start cutting stock wires at fuse box, now that I actually see what I have to do and reading more of these threads. My van (new to me) is completely stock at the relay under the drivers seat so I think I will abort the go westy kit for now and try firing up the stock aux system. Thanks for all of this information!!
weekendr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stock aux battery wiring/real time help Reply with quote

My apologies for resurrecting this very old thread.
simd0ggie and tschroeder0 were persistently curious about the red wire (labelled 3 in this thread) that attaches to the second 87 spade of the Aux battery relay and is bundled in a black sheath with the blue alt wire 85 and R/B ground 86. (Seat belt buzzer wires are also in that sheath.)
My van has that same wire and I am vexed by that same question, which does not appear to have ever been answered to their satisfaction.
The wire in question, which I have dubbed The Mystery Wire, is the red one second from the top in this photo of my drivers side aux battery relay. It appears to have a unique function on weekenders with the removable chest fridge that plugs in to the passenger seat base, but it does not power that socket.

Did anyone ever figure this out?

Here's my more recent thread where I posed this question in greater detail: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762536
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: