Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Or put an Anti-theft kill switch on the line from the ignition coil to the Tachometer and you could turn the engine over without starting and build up oil pressure.
Or a kill switch on the fuel pump. would allow you to do the same and have an anti-theft switch as well.

How does that keep the engine from running? My car was driven for several hundred miles this summer with no dash panel in at all while working on redoing foil wiring.

Duncan

What you need to do if you use the green wire going to the tachometer from the ignition coil is to use a switch that will send the tach signal to ground. Once it grounds out the coil will not send spark to the distributor and without that it is not going to start. It will turn over as normal, but just not start. I've also driven without the instrument cluster installed and aside from not having the instruments the engine will still run as normal.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
...you could turn the engine over without starting and build up oil pressure.

Or a kill switch on the fuel pump. would allow you to do the same and have an anti-theft switch as well.

My 2.1 WBX will start and run for a couple of seconds with the fuel pump kill switch engaged. So, if the goal is to not start the engine, a fuel pump kill switch probably isn't the best way. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve. My redone dash has rotary switches and sending the tach signal to ground would be an easy theft proof thing to do. This will get serious consideration as who would think to rotate a knob to activate the coil? It also has the advantage of easily solving the valet problem as well. Just don't turn the switch to ground the tach lead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Duncan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
...you could turn the engine over without starting and build up oil pressure.

My 2.1 WBX will start and run for a couple of seconds with the fuel pump kill switch engaged. So, if the goal is to not start the engine, a fuel pump kill switch probably isn't the best way. Confused

Yeah you're right. Forgot about the fuel in the lines Embarassed

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Thanks, Steve. My redone dash has rotary switches and sending the tach signal to ground would be an easy theft proof thing to do. This will get serious consideration as who would think to rotate a knob to activate the coil? It also has the advantage of easily solving the valet problem as well. Just don't turn the switch to ground the tach lead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Duncan

What British Sports car of the 60's gave you this idea? 😁
Sent you a pm.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

Was your oil pick-up tube O-ring replaced?

J
zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

Hello J,

Yes, the pick-up tube O ring was replaced.

Cheers,
Zoltan
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: no oil pressure at start for a few seconds 2.0 AC Reply with quote

zopapp wrote:
Hello J,

Yes, the pick-up tube O ring was replaced.

Cheers,
Zoltan

Well.. at least there's that.

I'd measure the oil pump bore against the oil pump body diameter. Was it easy to remove? While I haven't had the issue myself I've heard of poorly mated bores that allow a vacuum on the oil pick-up side and invariably the output side as well. To combat this I always install my oil pumps (without studs) as I'm assembling the case halves with a ring of sealant around both inlet and outlet ports. Obviously you can't do this now. You could machine an o-ring toward the leading edge of the pump body to seal the pump from the crank case. I believe some vendors are doing this as well. For what it's worth, I also scribe the ports and grind the case to match, you'd be surprised out off they can be.

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: