Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 patina ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

What a clean and straight ghia..love it !

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thank you gents for the nice words. Here is another photo from that day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

^ ^ Your choice of the photo location did not steer you wrong.

Rolling Eyes

Nice work on the B&W, as well as the Ghia in front of the boot shop. Handcrafted body visits handcrafted boots.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Big congrats to John and the rest of the gang on getting one of your songs as the opening track on the New Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss album...originally on the Calexico album "Feast of Wire"

Link

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thank you John, it’s a huge honor, I think their voices sound amazing together and the interpretation is brilliant. That’s Jay Bellerose on drums, he works with T-Bone Burnett a lot, I’m a big fan. I was probably about 14 years old when I saw “The Song Remains the Same” in a movie theater in Tulsa, OK at the end of Been A Long Time when Bonham does that drum break, my girlfriend sitting next to me gripped my hand and asked ‘can you do that?’ I nodded yes, thinking I better get to practicing. Robert Plant is a god and I couldn’t be more grateful he took the time to give us a listen, let alone cover one of our songs.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Thank you John, it’s a huge honor, I think their voices sound amazing together and the interpretation is brilliant. That’s Jay Bellerose on drums, he works with T-Bone Burnett a lot, I’m a big fan. I was probably about 14 years old when I saw “The Song Remains the Same” in a movie theater in Tulsa, OK at the end of Been A Long Time when Bonham does that drum break, my girlfriend sitting next to me gripped my hand and asked ‘can you do that?’ I nodded yes, thinking I better get to practicing. Robert Plant is a god and I couldn’t be more grateful he took the time to give us a listen, let alone cover one of our songs.

Wow!
Is there any backstory that you can relate?
How did you manage to rise above all the noise out there?
Congrats!

BTW: My wife’s cousin is Henry the Horse https://www.facebook.com/Henry-The-Horse-Smith-a-Q-and-A-1674831679457966 . I believe he served as drum tech for Bonham at that time. I think he told me that he had his one cameo in the film during that solo.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Well she’s back in the garage since pre pandemic days… I had been thinking about doing the engine swap when the throw out bearing made the decision for me.

I had been hearing and feeling some strange rumbling from that area, but it was intermittent and seemed to go away after cable adjustments were made… but no, something more sinister was going on.

I think this funky operating shaft is the culprit to my bearing wearing out to throw away… I tried to line it up as best as I could by bending the left shaft there you can see, but I don’t think I got it perfect…. I’ve ordered a new heavy duty shaft and bearing from Worlfsburg West. Good stuff and good timing, I can get a lot of other stuff I needed to get done.

Last edited by calexican on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Like how you are making lemonade John!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. I’m actually glad to be getting this sorted.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Just a few shots of getting the operating shaft out… looks like the pressure plate got wonky…after browsing the beetle forum I saw where this shaft is probably the empi one with cheap bushings…. Glad it’s out of there.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Any advice on pressure plates? I’ve got an old school one from the original engine that came with the car. Thinking about running that when I get it all back together.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Put a straight edge across the pressure plate and if it is still flat and not very scored, I'd be tempted to run it.
Is it a Luk or a Sachs? I prefer the Sachs
are you using a solid bronze bush for your clutch arm? or a stock style? Both work well if they are decent quality.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks, looks like a Sachs… it’s flat, has a little scoring, doesn’t seem too bad, I think I’ll run it!

I got the kit from WW, looks like the bushings are solid brass.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Some lovely og dolphin blue.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

'Tis a lovely colour. The Lowlight era was blessed with a great colour pallet.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

Just a few shots of getting the operating shaft out… looks like the pressure plate got wonky…after browsing the beetle forum I saw where this shaft is probably the empi one with cheap bushings…. Glad it’s out of there.

I’d heard that seeing a reddish coating was a sign of throw out bearing troubles, and this confirms it. I had some transmission issues with my squareback, and replaced the bearing when I saw red. Seeing this on yours, I’m glad I did.

All I really remember from that job is what a pain in the arse it was getting the cross shaft out. Car is looking great as always!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! I got lucky with using the tie rod end puller and that other little puller that I bought and have never used till now…I’m glad you mentioned the red color warning, I wasn’t sure what that was all about, and I thought maybe the bearing was ok and it was just the pressure plate that fouled things up.
It’s great having the engine out, cleaning the engine bay, new seals, new boots, good stuff.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
'Tis a lovely colour. The Lowlight era was blessed with a great colour pallet.

True! Hard to pick a favorite, I lean towards the ones that are two toned… Aerosilver, Antelope Brown, Cognac…Bamboo…
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

In case you need to remove a cross shaft bushing this method works great.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

I’ll have “Information I could have used last year” for $500 Alex. Laughing

Good tip though, very clever.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 21

Jump to: