Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Capslock wrote:
Ah, thanks! In this case the best you could say is it used to do that.

This location for the levers to open and close the floor vents were a 1969 and 1970 only feature. The kick panels with the levers are very hard to find. Nice that they are still with the car.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murcio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have an empty bracket in my KG trunk, can somebody tell me what is the black box on the left?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That is a vapor canister, it helps to vent the petrol fumes from the tank and part of your emission system. If you have a stock motor, you will have a line running back to the motor, normally under the right side and going back to another box in the engine compartment. This box in the front is good to have to keep the gas smell from not coming inside the passenger area.

Show some more pics of your Ghia and tell us what year!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I found these in my box of parts. I think the round rubber pieces are for an emblem or script but they don't really fit any emblems I have. Are they even for a VW? The other square part with the hole seems like it's for the door pull rod? It feels like cork but it could be old dried up felt. Did they even have felt back then?

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

HBGhia wrote:
I found these in my box of parts. I think the round rubber pieces are for an emblem or script but they don't really fit any emblems I have. Are they even for a VW? The other square part with the hole seems like it's for the door pull rod? It feels like cork but it could be old dried up felt. Did they even have felt back then?

I think you are correct, the small rubber parts are "nuts", or fasteners to hold your "Karmann Ghia" scripts onto the engine lid. They screw onto the posts on the underside of the lid. They should help seal water from coming through the holes. The smaller one looks like it is for the same small script that goes on the dash for the later Ghias. They don't all have the same size posts, try different scripts and your "VOLKSWAGEN" emblem on the engine lid to find which one they fit.

I have no idea what the other part is.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks Marcdeb. That makes sense. They are all 4 the same size, just that one is turned over. My "Karmann Ghia" script does have 4 posts. I know about the different sizes of posts. I have 2 "Volkswagen" emblems and they have different size posts. Thanks again.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Specifically for 66

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Ah Ha! They do fit on the few pieces of trim I still have, although the trims aren't very usable. They are very brittle and they have chipped edges. Thanks for the replies!
I knew I saw those somewhere. Now I remember reading that thread.
Exnermobiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That square spongy rubber is from under the brake fluid reservoir.
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks Exnermobiles. Another part that just fell off! Embarassed
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I'm 90% sure these carpet pieces go in the rear corners in the luggage area behind the back seat in a coupe. What I don't get is why they don't match.

The edges with the vinyl trim are supposed to be the exposed part after the carpet is installed. So why are they asymmetrical? One is curved and the other is straight. Either I don't know how they're installed or the trim was sewed on wrong. Thoughts?

EDIT: It's for a Ghia Coupe

Last edited by Peter D. on Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I don't know, but I suspect there is an mistake when they were made. I bet one of them is wrong. I'm curious see more replies.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Marcdeb, you were right! They emailed me back and are sending the correct piece. It's a very minor thing considering how far tucked back these carpet pieces are. But you can't be too be picky when restoring a Ghia.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

This is a picture of a 1968 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet with an Auto Stick.
What kind of voltage regulator is this???
It's mounted in the left upper corner of the engine compartment, in the usual area but I've never seen one like this?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

that is the current solid state style.. the old style with points are no longer made. haven't for some time now.
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
that is the current solid state style.. the old style with points are no longer made. haven't for some time now.
Steve

Thank you.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to post this and I can't find the part I am looking for. I need that thin nut that fits on the defrost contact switch which is under the dash of a 71. If anyone knows where I can get one or what size it is, I can try to source it.

I must keep missing it in the parts book, still looking. Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I need that thin nut that fits on the defrost contact switch which is under the dash of a 71. If anyone knows where I can get one or what size it is, I can try to source it.
Look for 113 959 621 B. Page 79 of the old KGPR catalog or mid-page illustration 46 page 9-73 Parts List VW Karmann Ghia here on theSamba https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1972_...201972.pdf
The Airheads say they have a used switch FWIW. If you don't have any luck or if you want I'll send you a nut gratis that will work, see fuzzy photos below. PM me. By my old eyes the threads are indistinguishable from the original nut, but it's a tight fit so you'll need to hold the switch while you fasten it through the dash, maybe put one hand through the hole for the speedometer with pliers on the switch body and a wrench on the nut.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you Charley, will search the KGPR/Airhead catalog and see what they have, otherwise I'll reach out. Appreciated!
Jeff

Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure I have one I can stick in the post if you need it.

Let me know if the one above falls through.

Andy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 37

Jump to: