Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Death foam replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

It's still loud, just not as if the pillars we're empty.

I used rubberized undercoating as the final coat thinking that will prevent moisture from sitting against the metal. Which is what eventually happens with the factory foam, not so much that it absorbs moisture as that it traps it against the shell.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

I see. Do you think an acoustical sealant would work here? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/DAP-7079818165-Acoustical-S...&psc=1
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

If you opting for a spray expanding foam, then you can add it without cutting holes in your interiors. The factory sprayed the foam through small dime-sized holes from the interior. Those holes should still be there. You could first use a wand and spray metal protecting agents and then spray the foam.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
If you opting for a spray expanding foam, then you can add it without cutting holes in your interiors. The factory sprayed the foam through small dime-sized holes from the interior. Those holes should still be there. You could first use a wand and spray metal protecting agents and then spray the foam.

I used these access hole to do just that on my 3rd death foam R&R project.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Synchromesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:

That's helpful, thank you. But leaves the questions of:

1. where exactly are these holes located in the interior and how do I access them with minimal damage to the car?
2. what spray expanding foam would you recommend?
3. will this muffle sound well at all?
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

From what I can tell I’ll need a chemical-based foam removal that doesn’t harm the harness or anything else.

Cutting (or rusting) holes in the car is not an option (problem 1), and filling it back up with more foam feels like a bigger gamble than it should be (problem 2)

I’ve read there are two OEM foams. The small sample I have from my car is from the engine compartment, a bit of overflow. It’s crusty and brittle and crumbles between my fingers with enough pressure. A drop of water indeed sits on top, but water does this sometimes on other materials too, like fine dry dirt. Like with dirt, if I force the water tension to break with finger contact and slight agitation it soaks in to the foam, so humidity and condensation are going to happen.

3M spray silicone (wet) soaks right into the foam like a paper towel. And about water, the product description includes:

“protecting against rust and corrosion; sealing out moisture”

So in theory with enough of that, maybe the factory foam could be rehabilitated. What would it take to flood that whole chamber? Just thinking moon shot ideas. I suspect that if I had a big chunk of that foam soaking it in a bucket of silicone it would just be a matter of time, like maple syrup invading a pancake. But where is the highest point of foam in the side of a beetle (“gravity feed” lol) and how to get a long (3-footer I have) spray straw up there?

If I had to remove the foam chemically tho… An Amazon reviewer said their testing showed the 3M didn’t dissolve styrofoam, like it’s rare to find this (their reason for liking it) So maybe I’ll try some non-3M spray silicone (different propellant/solvent) and see if that works.

The evercoat site states its foam is waterproof, but how much flex, vibration (air pulses from dual carbs, plus their fuel fumes), and time does it take to start chipping away at this? Will it just do what VW’s foam did? This upside/downside makes a silicone soak idea seem worth a serious look.

Anyone got a big chunk of crusty VW foam laying around?
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Silicone spray?

What does WD40 do? That's supposed to really hate water.

It sounds like you might be on to something.

I don't have the problem but I feel your pain.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

boostretard wrote:
Anyone got a big chunk of crusty VW foam laying around?

I should have kept my pile of crumbly foam that I extracted from my '71. My simple experiment was to secure with a wire a few chunks down to the bottom of a bucket filled with water. I weighed the foam both before and after about 10 days of total submergence. They weighted the same. That foam was amazing stuff. Those pillows in older beetles would have absorbed plenty of water.

My point - don't blame the foam - blame the vent seal. Extra seam sealer as described above will keep that area dry.
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Yeah silicone spray. I don’t think it will evaporate with time like wd-40 will.

I’m still not sure which rubber seal or where it’s located. I can’t seem to find it on Wolfsburg West if it’s there.

On that point about the seal, I think it can be true in some cases in whole or part. From what I’ve seen in so many cutaway pics, death foam root cause is multi-variable, and condensation does do strange things, especially in humid climates. I live within 2 miles of the Pacific Ocean in a notoriously foggy city, observing every state of precipitation known (the kind that finds the frame horns under the car), and salt air is another consideration.

So I would assume it’s an inevitable problem, and I’d like to test some samples for absorption, water displacement, etc for feasibility of a broader application.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

boostretard wrote:
I’m still not sure which rubber seal or where it’s located. I can’t seem to find it on Wolfsburg West if it’s there.

You cannot see that seal without cutting a hole from the interior as I described above (first page of this thread). I stuck my camera into the hole and pointed up to get this picture. I circled the seal in red:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That seal is just a strip of rubber and cannot be replaced without ripping the vents off - major surgery.

The outside vent cavity itself was formed by attaching a football-sized cupped piece of metal to the inside of the car body. You can see and feel the outside of that cupped piece of metal if your remove the exterior plastic vent cover and look in. I'm not 100% sure how these two separate pieces of metal were attached at the factory - but the seal was added for good measure. On the assembly line this seal could easily be slipped in errantly - leaving a little channel for rain water to get in and flood that inner cabinet with the sound deadening material.

The remedy is to add seam sealer to the top-outside length of this joint through the vent cover. To picture this - simply add the sealer along the length of the very bottom of the outside vent cavity from the outside - easy as pie.

boostretard wrote:
So I would assume it’s an inevitable problem, and I’d like to test some samples for absorption, water displacement, etc for feasibility of a broader application.

More science is preferred to less science - so have at it. But even if you replaced that foam with the perfect non-absorbing/repellant material, you would still have rust issues in that inner cabinet if rain water gets past the seal. Even a completely empty cabinet with no sound proofing material would still experience rust if water gets in.

The answer is to either seal the point of entry or somehow provide ample drain holes in that inner cabinet.

And, yes, rust can form without rain water. But given that this cabined rarely rusts in older beetles without vents that used the inferior water-absorbing pillows says a lot about the role that rain can play.
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Thanks Tom for the description.

Is this stuff, at the crescent bottom, the same seal? Pic is looking down toward the floor. Drivers side both pics.

I read somewhere there’s a drain here and after clearing debris found my poker tool’s marks in it. Oops… it’s crackly but not like the filler foam. Not sure if that dent is factory or not.

I can add sealer to this but yeah, no drain in sight:

Looks like the same material on the inner radius too (out of focus)?

This is the camera aimed rearward. Gonna look into a lighted camera probe for my phone. I think that may also be “the seal” toward bottom right?

I know I have rust on the passenger side, 3 inches from the lower right corner of the rear window, and suspect the window rubber (replacement en route). But it’s unclear how a leaking rubber would get water inside that compartment. Even with road crown the angle is wrong for the primer holes. Maybe the foam soaked upward and/or condensation.

I’ve also noticed fuel vapors seem to attract some kind of mold/moss (not just on my car). I’ve seen this both inside and outside the vents near the carbs. They do stink. Perhaps this and/or other fuel-related effects relate to the foam mystery.
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Or maybe the dent is the drain?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

I never looked down through my crescent cavity for the seal - but your first picture shows it. So, yes, that is the seal!

In your second picture, yes - that looks like the seal again. I also notice that some of the factory sound-deadening foam expanded up into your crescent cavity! That would be the original point of failure!!! Caught red handed and on camera!!! If factory foam found its way out into the crescent cavity, then a hole existed there meaning the seal on your car was not properly placed (the seal was installed in the factory before the foam). That is where the rain water would get in because the foam was never intended to seal any crevasse or hole.

I find this all very exciting - finally the proof we all need.

IT ISN'T THE FOAM'S FAULT!!!

Slopping sealer along the bottom channel will seal it all up for you.
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Very interesting… did you notice in the second pic the foam has pulled away a bit (just enough to trap water), but the seal has not? Makes me think that’s why VW chose a “flexible seal and foam” vs only “foam everywhere”. They may have identified chassis flex and/or foam shrink as an issue to bandaid.

So which seam sealer? I want double overkill.

Also, for the broader issues of rust on the other side of the car (one tiny hole I’m trying to put a lid on while the car is garaged) I’ve ordered an endoscope with multiple LEDs and two cameras on the tip. More to come these next days and weeks…

Still hoping someone’s got some spare foam I can test with. I’ll pay shipping!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

I used this stuff after not putting too much thought into it.

I also sprayed Eastwood Internal Frame Coating throughout that inner cabinet. Then I sprayed a heave dose of Fluid Film. And then I inserted a plastic bag which was filled with modern foam (non saturating) from the can. With the seam sealer filling that channel, it ain't gonna rust in there.

But if you already have rust, then you might need to curt a circle from the inside (under the headliner) to treat it with OSPHO or similar first. Then maybe your external metal can be saved without opening the area from outside.
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Ah ok thanks for the tips

Yeah rust is a big topic so I won’t go into it here but the only thing I’m conclusive on is cosmoline’s effectiveness, as a layer on top of something else (paint, undercoat, whatever). I’m undecided on my approach until I get better datums.

Check out these from Project Farm if u haven’t already:

https://youtu.be/Ag46YUovPUc

https://youtu.be/lyWHF4NoNVk
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Interesting tests of various products. They did a three year test over in Europe, and this product performed the best. I bought a case. So far so good.

boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

Nice
Where’d you find it for sale?
And is that the hose with the 360* spray tip? How long is it?

I’m thinking to use some jewelers drill bits to make a plastic straw version of the 360 tip, as the straw I have is like 3-4 feet.

Someone on Samba had a strong case for silicone lube in drain locations. It’s a Nissan branded product I finally found in FL it just arrived today and will be included into upcoming foam testing. Kinda hoping it can dissolve the foam.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

As carpenter using expanding foam, it has been my experience that once cured nothing ! Dissolves it!

Acetone will melt it away before curing, once cured nada.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam replacement Reply with quote

boostretard wrote:
Nice
Where’d you find it for sale?
And is that the hose with the 360* spray tip? How long is it?

I think I just Googled it and must have found a US distributor. Yes, it has the nice spray tip, and the can is under pressure - so the stuff spreads wonderfully in whatever cabinet application you have.

You can get that same spray tip when ordering Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating.

Watching that second video linked above - Fluid Film seems to be the runaway winner until he pressure-washed the metal. So, the moral of the story is to reapply Fluid Film after any pressure washing.

Last edited by Tom K. on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: