Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator dash light not on
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

What's the first thing to suspect when green alternator light doesn't come on before starting the engine? Yes, and it drained the Battery. Luckily, I made it home. Bob
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: alternater dash light not on Reply with quote

The first thing to suspect is that the bulb is burned out.

Note that if the bulb is burned out (or missing), the alternator will not work.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: alternater dash light not on Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The first thing to suspect is that the bulb is burned out.

Note that if the bulb is burned out (or missing), the alternator will not work.

Yep^^^^

After that check the voltage regulator. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

OK, thanks Ray. I didn't know that. I strongly suspect that's the problem, because I've noticed a flickering in the light lately. That bulb is going to be hard for me to get to. Question: would a bad regulator cause the light to not work?
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Also thanks to you "sjbartnik. Thst's interesting and good to know about the bulb. Bob
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
OK, thanks Ray. I didn't know that. I strongly suspect that's the problem, because I've noticed a flickering in the light lately. That bulb is going to be hard for me to get to. Question: would a bad regulator cause the light to not work?

In theory it's possible but the more likely scenario is that the bulb is burned out.

The way to do a bulb check is to find the blue wire that goes to the regulator (usually terminal 61), remove that wire from the regulator, and touch it to ground with the key on. If the alt light lights up when you do that, then you're looking at an alternator or regulator problem. If it doesn't light up, you're looking at a burned-out bulb or a power supply to bulb problem.

I'm not familiar with the Type 4 but in other air-cooled VW's the power supply to the alt light is the same as that for the oil light and fuel gauge, so if those things work but the alt light doesn't, again, likely scenario is alt light is burned out.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Thanks, give me a clue------is there any tricks to getting to the bulb?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Will post a picture later.

If i recall correctly.....you can remove the little alternator light fixture from the front side with a jeweler screw driver.....it should pull forward on the wire and you can change the bulb and pop ot back in.

Heading to my storage unit shortly to pick up a tool and will look at an alternator ligjt and take some pics for you. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Correction: I erroneously referred to the alternator light as the green light----it's a red light.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

OK, all lights are working, and the alternator light goes off as it's suppose to, and a new regulator installed. But the voltage meter check shows nothing going to the battery.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

I would seem to me the alternator is working, because the dash light goes off. That goes from alternator thru the regulator not direct to the battery. The starter works fine, so it appears to my inxperienced mind it's obvious the alternator isn't making contact to the battery at the starter connections wireing or something connecting to or coinsiding with the starting cable isn't working.

Is there a solonoid involved?

I notice a separate wire parellels the starter cable to the battery connection.

I haven't checked alternator connections.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Have you made sure all important ground connections are clean and good? A good ground at the battery itself and the big ground between the trans and the chassis. Make sure they are clean.

Bill
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

ok bill, I'ii do that. thanks
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Well I've been putting this off, but I guess I have to do it. Put the car up on work stands, and check-out the connections between the alternator and the starter solonoid. The alternator was replaced some years back with a 50 amp, and hasn't been a problem.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

What would be the best way to check current is going from alternator to starter without a direct ground to alternator. The manual says dont do that. The regulator functions and the dash light goes off, so the alternator must be working. The solenoid is getting current from the battery OK., and engine starts. Could the solenoid be faulty?

Note: In a previous post "dangling wire", this wire connected to the starter, and the wireing diagram shows it going to and end somewhere on the engine, but I can't figure out where. This wire was removed in the past. There is another wire from starter to gas heater harness. Currently the heater is out of the car, and the harness is secured. Could either of these connections cause the problem?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
What would be the best way to check current is going from alternator to starter without a direct ground to alternator. The manual says dont do that. The regulator functions and the dash light goes off, so the alternator must be working. The solenoid is getting current from the battery OK., and engine starts. Could the solenoid be faulty?

Note: In a previous post "dangling wire", this wire connected to the starter, and the wireing diagram shows it going to and end somewhere on the engine, but I can't figure out where. This wire was removed in the past. There is another wire from starter to gas heater harness. Currently the heater is out of the car, and the harness is secured. Could either of these connections cause the problem?

Sorry I dropped the ball on your loose wire. I will have more later today on what that wire is.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Maybe this photo will help. This is unmolested wiring unplugged from the voltage regulator before I pulled the engine.

Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Can’t remember what year your type 4 is. You mentioned dangling wires and not sure where they go. If you have the VW service diagnostic plug in port it could be that some of these wires running to the port were disconnected in the past and just left hanging. This can be confirmed looking at the proper wiring schematic.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Ok..sorry it took so long.

Gotta say a thing here. I know everyone knows ...but there are roughly two wires in this whole car that can be "done without". They are all important and cannot be removed (for the most part) without careful study.

Those two wires are:
1. The 10-12 gauge purple and black wire that runs from the left side engine bay to the dash. Thats the compressor clutch wire for air conditioner install.

2. The yellow and red wire laying in he tray next to the battery which is a test network wire to the diagnostic plug in the back that went to a little float level in the original battery.

There are all of the test wires in teh diagnostic plug that "could" be removed but you need to follow them and see how and what they are connected to.

OK....in the engine bay there are two "forked" T-1 to T-2 connectors with insulated housings that must be observed. Pepperbilly posted one.

The diagram for August 1971 and on from Haynes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A. from the top of the schematic...I highlighted the red wire that goes to the starter to the starter defeat switch on the shifter of automatic cars (part labeled E-17) .......because if memory serves.... it plugs onto the same pin on the starter as some of these other heavy 10 gauge red wires. If you have a wire hanging and you have knocked this one loose as well.....it will not crank to start.

B. In the red square this is a 10-12 gauge red wire that goes to the starter on one end and goes to terminal #50 in the diagnostic plug. I "think" they used this for either cranking amps test or used it to connect a remote starter for testing at the dealer.
Usually...like in the diagram....one terminal has nothing plugged into it...but not always.

I do not think this one hanging would cause your issue but check the starter end. It could have pulled loose with one of the other wires.

C. The T-connector in the yellow square. This one is the one that Pepperbilly posted a picture from.

This one on the sedans is usually located either right below the throttle body more toward the right behind the #1 injection runner and has a red and white heavy 8-10 gauge wire running through the firewall tin through a rubber grommet...to the starter. The one on the wagons can be a little further to the right closer to the voltage regulator.

If you follow the red wire coming out of the other side of this Tee....it goes to relay J-8 which is the gasoline heater relay. Its purpose is to keep feeding power while the engine is being cranked so that the heater does not shut down if it is running.

The other side of the red/white heavy gauge wire from that Tee....appears to dead end in a round circle with a plus sign. This would appear to say that it goes to the diagnostic plug.....but not 100% sure. I "thought"...or think....that this actually goes to the + side of the battery. I will check.

So...if you have a red wire hanging loose...the only ones I can think of that could stop you from starting would be the one to the starter cut out switch.

But....I have a very vague memory that when the other end of the heavy red and white wire is disconnected...it causes some starting issue. I will get back to you. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Regarding the “tee” connector highlighted in yellow by Ray, I just went out to the garage and checked. The fat red/black wire that ends in the circle with a plus sign DOES go to the diagnostic connector. I doubted that one too but just looked at it.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: