Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rayjay turbo need help.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Here’s a draw through using a Baja header and stock carb.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

^^^That right there is what the original kit was like!^^^
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Looks like a V-8 intake to me.......

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...aw%26r%3D0

Here is another.....

Who knows how much boost they ran.....

This one is kind of cool too...... Turbo looks like it's big enough to make some power.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...amp;sim=11

Back to the VW.....it could make a nice vintage turbo setup if you had a bug in nice shape and wanted something different to show off.

I'm not sure where the miscommunication came in, but yes, I said that the intake adapter I posted was for a V8... and I quote "
it'd work just like a 4 barrel turbo adapter I have for V8's, I post a pic". so why are you posting links about that?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

There are better turbos to use for a 1600 than that RayJay. If I'm reading the numbers right it's a 40B which is pretty big for a small stock engine.

Find an old Subaru IHI RHB5 turbo or a WRX MHI TD04L-13T. Either of those two would be good but probably best in a blow through configuration.

I've been using those turbos for almost 10 yrs. now and have good results with them.
Pick a turbo that supports the hp you want or hope to make. Be realistic or you will have nothing but lag.

My build page is in my sig....everything is there with pics from my start with a carb to my current progress today. About 50,000 miles worth of turbo goodness.

Here's a little video of one of my test drives......

Link

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
There are better turbos to use for a 1600 than that RayJay.

Yes there are. There are also far better engines and cars to put a turbo on than an air cooled VW too but... he has this turbo already and if it is sized right why not use it?

I am very happy with my Rajay and I can tell you stories about how well it works too.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
clonebug wrote:
There are better turbos to use for a 1600 than that RayJay.

Yes there are. There are also far better engines and cars to put a turbo on than an air cooled VW too but... he has this turbo already and if it is sized right why not use it?

I am very happy with my Rajay and I can tell you stories about how well it works too.

Is your RayJay on an an air cooled VW????? If so post pics or video so we can see....
If not..... it has no relevance to the OP’s issue.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
clonebug wrote:
Looks like a V-8 intake to me.......

Here is another.....

Who knows how much boost they ran.....

This one is kind of cool too...... Turbo looks like it's big enough to make some power.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&a...amp;sim=11

Back to the VW.....it could make a nice vintage turbo setup if you had a bug in nice shape and wanted something different to show off.

I'm not sure where the miscommunication came in, but yes, I said that the intake adapter I posted was for a V8... and I quote "
it'd work just like a 4 barrel turbo adapter I have for V8's, I post a pic". so why are you posting links about that?

I got mixed around with pics and thought the OP posted those also....
I had already hit submit before I realized my error... hence the edit..... the google pics were a search I fell into and was all I could find on RayJay but it gives an idea on how the plumbing would go together.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

The one part looks like it would work as a progressive draw through intake. Don’t know what the plug and hold are in the bottom. Weld it up and put some kind of 2bbl carb on it. Ditch the main intake. Rajay turbos all look physically large to me.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
The one part looks like it would work as a progressive draw through intake. Don’t know what the plug and hold are in the bottom. Weld it up and put some kind of 2bbl carb on it. Ditch the main intake. Rajay turbos all look physically large to me.

If I had all the parts in front of me I could probably put it together but seeing just the pieces makes it a challenge to try to explain it without putting it together myself.
I'm with you in that all RayJay turbos look big but it's fairly dated technology. I think they have been bought out by another company if I remember correctly.
It takes a lot of time to research different turbos and since it's not my own I don't retain all of what I find.
If the turbine wheel or compressor wheel inlet are larger than 1 5/8ths those turbos will be laggy with a 1600....the extra mass of the wheels are enough to make it slow to build boost and you will need 6000 plus rpm to get it.
For a 4500-5000 rpm stock engine........not a good combo.

As an example..my almost stock 1679 with a W-100 cam peaks hp and torque at 4800 and 4600 rpm even with a non stock cam. A big turbo is not going to help for low to mid range power which the OP would want with a Baja style driver.

If the OP is interested he can read my build and copy some of it since a Baja would easily fit my style of turbo setup on his car. How far he wants to go and how serious he wants to get is up to him.
It's going to take some reading since there are no "Kits" available that will work instantly.

If he has those parts he can give them a try.....it would be best to find some info on it........It's that " You are the Engineer and the Mechanic" thing.......

If my Wife knew how much time is spent on turbo stuff.......I'd probably be dead.......or single...... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Is your RayJay on an an air cooled VW????? If so post pics or video so we can see....

The engine I put it on was 1583 cc, it reached crossover at 2300 rpm and was making 14 psi boost by 4500 rpm. That my friend is a pretty good match for the street.

Explain to me what about the method of engine cooling makes that irrelevant!

The only thing I can think of is that the engine I put it on was newer technology and far stronger that an air cooled one but that has nothing to do with how well the turbo itself performed! The turbo does not know nor does it care how the engine is cooled.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

I think ya scared off the O.P. Sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
clonebug wrote:

The engine I put it on was 1583 cc, it reached crossover at 2300 rpm and was making 14 psi boost by 4500 rpm. That my friend is a pretty good match for the street.

Explain to me what about the method of engine cooling makes that irrelevant!

The only thing I can think of is that the engine I put it on was newer technology and far stronger that an air cooled one but that has nothing to do with how well the turbo itself performed! The turbo does not know nor does it care how the engine is cooled.

Exhaust is shorter...intake is shorter......engine can run warmer..... rpm range is higher.........it's not the same..

Does that turbo of yours still run or has it been 20 years ago????

The OP's turbo is probably 60's vintage. It's a 40 series turbo which is the bigger one of the two more common RayJay's. used on engines.
Miniman82 is the resident expert on these turbos and might be able to shed more light on them......or rebuild it and mix and match parts to make it compatible.....but he hasn't been on this site in over a year.
By the time you do that you might as well buy one that is matched to your goals and get new technology.

A big turbine wheel or compressor wheel takes more to spin......I can attest to that with a turbo I added a larger compressor wheel to . The wheel was 3 mm larger on the inducer (43.3mm) and 2 mm larger on the exducer (58 mm) and the spooling difference was disappointing to say the least.
All that work is on my build below with pics.... It ended up making a $25.00 turbo cost me over $325.00 with no gains. It now sits on a shelf with at least 4 other turbos.

I suppose if you want to use the turbo to limit the boost then a big turbo on an engine that maxes out at 4800 rpm and 6.0 lbs of boost would work...but it would be a short lived thrill due to the small window of power addition you would get.

Especially on a Baja where you would want low to mid range grunt......that would not help anywhere except at the very top of the rpm range........

For the amount of work and tuning to get to that point........it would end up being a conversation piece or a YouTube video in a garage revving the engine for effect......

Almost two hours later.......

.........So in answering this post I spent a little more time researching RayJay turbos......Miniman82 actually has a YouTube on how to rebuild these turbos.
A little more searching shows that housings are sized by letter as in B, E, and F housings. There is a 25 and 40 series turbo along with the aforementioned housing sizes. The hot side also has AR ratios which will effect spool also.

As I said before....looking at the pictures of the turbo it looks pretty big for a 1600 cc engine. The only way to find out is build it I guess.......I could be proved wrong. Neutral

It could be a fun build.....but I'm not into draw through and am not about to change.........I would like to see that system installed to be able to view how it all fit together and if it could be hidden under the decklid.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I think ya scared off the O.P. Sad

Yeah well........some people come on here to fish........The amount of research and work to install a turbo can be overwhelming to some......especially if it doesn't work as expected.
It takes dedication to make it work and sometimes it can cost if you break stuff.

It's that Engineer and Mechanic stuff that gets in the way. Wink

I've probably spent almost 4.0 hours online looking at RayJay stuff........just because.........
I am in between upgrades at the moment but I'm not going to build it for him...... Cool Laughing

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Exhaust is shorter...intake is shorter......engine can run warmer..... rpm range is higher.........it's not the same...

There is some merit to this it is true but the difference between an air cooled 1600 and a water cooled 1600 would not be a make or break situation. I would expect a slightly slower spool up time with the air cooled one amounting to a second or less. Other than that... not a lot of change. As far as RPM goes the Rabbit engine is red lined by VW at 6250 and in actual driving ran out of breath at 5500. With the turbo I rarely ran it over 5000.

Also remember that your first turbo came off a 2 L water cooled Subaru engine and you put it on a 1588cc air cooled one... so that kind of takes the wind out of your point here...

clonebug wrote:

It's been a few years. I hope to get it out and running next summer if all goes well. Both the engine and turbo were in excellent shape last I drove it, the shocks, ball joints and tie rods not so much!

clonebug wrote:
The OP's turbo is probably 60's vintage. It's a 40 series turbo which is the bigger one of the two more common RayJay's. used on engines.
Miniman82 is the resident expert on these turbos and might be able to shed more light on them......or rebuild it and mix and match parts to make it compatible.....but he hasn't been on this site in over a year.

Mine is late 70's vintage. 1978 I believe I bought it.
clonebug wrote:
A big turbine wheel or compressor wheel takes more to spin......I can attest to that with a turbo I added a larger compressor wheel to . The wheel was 3 mm larger on the inducer (43.3mm) and 2 mm larger on the exducer (58 mm) and the spooling difference was disappointing to say the least.
All that work is on my build below with pics.... It ended up making a $25.00 turbo cost me over $325.00 with no gains. It now sits on a shelf with at least 4 other turbos.

For the amount of work and tuning to get to that point........it would end up being a conversation piece or a YouTube video in a garage revving the engine for effect...... .

100% That is why I keep saying over and over "if it's sized properly!" If it isn't then... there are many other options.
clonebug wrote:
So in answering this post I spent a little more time researching . turbos......Miniman82 actually has a YouTube on how to rebuild these turbos.
A little more searching shows that housings are sized by letter as in B, E, and F housings. There is a 25 and 40 series turbo along with the aforementioned housing sizes. The hot side also has AR ratios which will effect spool also..

Yes I went through all that years ago including a study of the compressor maps sizing mine for my 1600DP but in the end put it on the Rabbit instead.
clonebug wrote:
As I said before....looking at the pictures of the turbo it looks pretty big for a 1600 cc engine. The only way to find out is build it I guess.......I could be proved wrong. Neutral

I don't honesty know how to tell by looking at pictures what size a turbo is... That I suppose it what got my back up. Condemning the turbo before anyone really knew that it would match. I know you have a hate on for Rajays but are they really that bad? I think not, it's a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing in my mind, all have their little quirks but it comes down to what you own is what you are comfortable with and naturally that is what you recommend. But does that make everything else wrong? I think not...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
clonebug wrote:
Exhaust is shorter...intake is shorter......engine can run warmer..... rpm range is higher.........it's not the same...

There is some merit to this it is true but the difference between an air cooled 1600 and a water cooled 1600 would not be a make or break situation. I would expect a slightly slower spool up time with the air cooled one amounting to a second or less. Other than that... not a lot of change. As far as RPM goes the Rabbit engine is red lined by VW at 6250 and in actual driving ran out of breath at 5500. With the turbo I rarely ran it over 5000.

Also remember that your first turbo came off a 2 L water cooled Subaru engine and you put it on a 1588cc air cooled one... so that kind of takes the wind out of your point here...

clonebug wrote:

It's been a few years. I hope to get it out and running next summer if all goes well. Both the engine and turbo were in excellent shape last I drove it, the shocks, ball joints and tie rods not so much!

clonebug wrote:

Mine is late 70's vintage. 1978 I believe I bought it.
clonebug wrote:

For the amount of work and tuning to get to that point........it would end up being a conversation piece or a YouTube video in a garage revving the engine for effect...... .

100% That is why I keep saying over and over "if it's sized properly!" If it isn't then... there are many other options.
clonebug wrote:
So in answering this post I spent a little more time researching . turbos......Miniman82 actually has a YouTube on how to rebuild these turbos.
A little more searching shows that housings are sized by letter as in B, E, and F housings. There is a 25 and 40 series turbo along with the aforementioned housing sizes. The hot side also has AR ratios which will effect spool also..

Yes I went through all that years ago including a study of the compressor maps sizing mine for my 1600DP but in the end put it on the Rabbit instead.
clonebug wrote:

I don't honesty know how to tell by looking at pictures what size a turbo is... That I suppose it what got my back up. Condemning the turbo before anyone really knew that it would match. I know you have a hate on for Rajays but are they really that bad? I think not, it's a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing in my mind, all have their little quirks but it comes down to what you own is what you are comfortable with and naturally that is what you recommend. But does that make everything else wrong? I think not...

My first turbo was from a 1987 Subaru GL-10 with 1800 cc's of mad power.
That turbo started to eat itself after a year I think.......I'd have to reread my build to verify when........
The second turbo I happened to find at a swap meet and couldn't pass it up since I low balled the guy at $20.00 and he took it. I bought it thinking It would make a great spare.....it did....sooner than I thought.
It ended up being off of a 1986 GL-10 with an 1800cc engine and was actually not the same in that it was about an 1/8-1/4 inch smaller inlet with the compressor wheel. The turbine outlet bolt pattern was also slightly different but a round file ovaled the holes enough to allow my exhaust still fit.

For local street use the smaller turbo was a 500 rpm earlier spool and it was a kick ass turbo until I got on a long trip and hit the 6% grades. It was an insta-boost turbo at anything over 60 mph and on a grade wanted to kick my W/I on with just slight throttle.....once I got to speed and let off a bit the boost would stay along with the W/I which was pumping for 17 lbs and it was holding at about 6.0 lbs.......the engine didn't like that and would cough and blubber due to getting downed by the excess water mix. Turning the W/I off was not an option since it would then cause detonation due to the MBC being set for 15-17 lbs.
But then.........17 lbs wasn't enough.......here comes turbo #3....... Rolling Eyes
It was 20 years newer and almost exactly the same size as turbo #1 but will support 270 crank hp.

EFI and an EBC along with a staged W/I setup and intercooler fixed those issues........but I digress.

Back to the RayJay.....I have nothing against the RayJay. If you like go and watch Miniman82's YouTube video on rebuilding that turbo.....now at the end see how much drag the carbon seal setup puts on that turbo the way it's built......then tell me there won't be any lag.
New BB turbos will spin by just blowing lightly on the wheels.....there is a big difference in technology.
I'm just too tight to spend $1300.00 for one of those jewels.

The RayJayw was OEM on a Corvair and fairly popular on turbo aircraft it seems. I haven't found much else that they came stock on but haven't searched that area either.
Aircraft use is much different than car use in that the turbo was used to maintain sea level power at altitude vs adding hp to the engine.
There might be some that increased the take off hp but I'm sure it was a very touchy situation with inlet air temps that would cause detonation if not very careful. Altitude has the advantage of very cold inlet air to keep boost temps down.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

It's a draw through, here is how it looks.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
It's a draw through, here is how it looks.

I'm pretty sure that is not the same kit...... There are some interesting parts for the outlet side of the intake in the first set of pics.
It might be that valve is some sort of bypass for idle or cruise. It seems it has some sort of combo mount for inlet of the compressor and the outlet.....Probably to incorporate that valve for some reason.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Here's how well they work.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=...p;txt=Link
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Here's how well they work.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=...p;txt=Link

That video was posted in a different thread a few months ago. That is a turbo kit supposedly available from Brazil or one of those countries in South America. It is a custom kit and uses a Chinese turbo.
It is not a vintage RayJay kit.
That car is traveling pretty fast on a freeway....probably turning 3500-3800 rpm or more just cruising at that speed....if it doesn't have insta-boost by then it never would.
It's not a very good example of how well a turbo system works......at least in my opinion.......although it looks cool.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rayjay turbo need help. Reply with quote

gaaadamn yall are really straining over the little shit.

boost is boost, if you can read a turbo map and size it for the cfm & psi for your engine thats really all there is. ( aside from fuel & fire ) the engine doesnt care if its boost from an old turbo, new turbo, or supercharger, its all just forced air.
those rayjay's , i believe, were bought out by Air research and look bigger than what your used to seeing modern turbo sizes because they spin half the speed of modern turbos . although , none of the 3 rayjay's i own have compressors any larger than the T4 compressors on the couple T3/T4 's i have. all of which are larger than the TD04's ive had that were on the chrysler 2.2's, but again, ppl are too quick to just think " oh i need this or that size inducer,( or compressor)" without reading the map or considering the AR's.
ive had the same rayjay turbo (3 series ) on both a stock 1600 and a 2276. 20lbs of boost on the 1600 and 15 on the 2276. on the 1600 boost came in at 3500 and all in by 4000 rpm , on the 2276 boost comes in at about 3000 or maybe a little under and its all in at that.

OP's RayJay model number breaks down as this...
3AB1BB40B1

3 is the turbo Family
A is the compressor design, ( 3" )
B is the turbine housing design ( triangular inlet flange )
1 is thebearing housing design ( die cast , single feed one oil inlet )
B is the compressor flow. i have no info on this though
B is the turbine flow, no info on this either
40 is the AR, ( .40 ) which is actually pretty low and would spool early
B is internal design features ( B represents a single feed bearing )
1 is heat shield design ( stamped type )

the only difference between OP's rayjay and the one im running is the compressor flow, his is a B and mine is an E ( they go, B E F M and Z ) i would assume B being the smallest ?
so there ya , hope this helps.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: