Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus...
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmarkstopspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 912 engine that is the perfect candidate for an easy refresh/rebuild.....as luck would have it, I have a '69 Single Cab in need of some extra power and a ready & willing engine bay.

I see quite a few conversions the other way, but can't seem to find any photos and/or insight on installing this 912 engine into the Bus.........I get it the tins are going to be an issue and I'll need to modify some type of 912 engine brace, but the Scab has plenty of space in that engine bay and it's not a concours build so wanted to see what TheSamba forum has to say....

Any help would be great !

Brian
Cincinnati, OH

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

bmarkstopspeed wrote:
I see quite a few conversions the other way,

Thats because a 912 engine is VERY expensive to get parts for and only produces under 90hp.

Sell it and use the money to buy a new Type 1 engine with more horse power and torque. Then buy your wife something nice with the money left over.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

Agree! Plus you want low end torque for a heavy boxy bus. Should be easy to sell and replace with T1 built engine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

I too, agree, put the engine out there with the engine id number, someone is looking for it to put in their 912.

CB performance and others have perfected the type 1 engine these days, and it is far superior to the old 912 engine.

If you want to have some fun, just doll up the sheetmetal and parts and put it back together as best you can so it looks more complete
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

The 912 is a Hemi and those 90 HP are thoroughbreds and will eat alive any flat top VW of equal HP. The 912 has mounting bosses you just need to make an adaptor for your existing mustache bar. Just shorten the throttle cable and mount a ball socket connector as the 912 linkage connects from the back. Use a 356 muffler or make your own from the 912 muffler mounts (they are oblong as you can see). I used a Center Force dual friction disk & pressure plate. Make a templet from the VW sheet metal engine compartment seal and cut the 912 sheet metal and put some edge guard around the edges.
bill brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

I ran a Super 90 engine in my old 67 15 Deluxe bus......and it ran hot in the bus......you need to get some fresh air to the fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The 912 is a Hemi and those 90 HP are thoroughbreds and will eat alive any flat top VW of equal HP.

Not many people are racing their VW Bus.

For what I can sell a complete running 912 engine for i can build a 2017 (90.5x78.4) Type 1 engine with 50% more HP and lots more torque.

I can then use the spare cash to buy my wife something nice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
The 912 is a Hemi and those 90 HP are thoroughbreds and will eat alive any flat top VW of equal HP.

For what I can sell a complete running 912 engine for i can build a 2017 (90.5x78.4) Type 1 engine with 50% more HP and lots more torque.

You don't need to "Race" your VW Bus to have a Porsche motor in it as the Driver will be happier just cruzing around town with it than any 2017 gas sucking monster motor. The 356/912 has the perfect cam etc. to get great gas milage and still have the guts to pick `em up and lay `em down and It just gets worth more money every day you hold on to it. I bet Porsche owners are watching this thread hoping he sells.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

You don't need to "Race" your VW Bus to have a Porsche motor in it as the Driver will be happier just cruzing around town with it than any 2017 gas sucking monster motor. The 356/912 has the perfect cam etc. to get great gas milage and still have the guts to pick `em up and lay `em down and It just gets worth more money every day you hold on to it. I bet Porsche owners are watching this thread hoping he sells.

2017cc with EFI and crankfire. 145hp, starts with the turn of the key, idles smoothly @ 800rpm and gets mpg in the mid 30s.

And i bet it cost less than a "correctly" rebuild 912 engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 912 engine into a '69 Single Cab Bus... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

And i bet it cost less than a "correctly" rebuild 912 engine.

I'm just reading this a year later, but I'm with the VW guys.
a 912 engine MIGHT have made 90 hp but it is a direct evolution of a 36 HP VW. And that means all the parts are dinky small. Overstressed a lot, the 356 SC engine lasted well in a 356 and less so in a 912 that was just a bit more load and heavier. MANY grenaded the cranks at about 100,000 km. 61k miles. One CAN get the 912 motor stronger with a modern Scat Crank and modern rods and LOT of other expense, but it is very hard to get more than about 120hp reliably.
A moderate, lightly stressed 1800-2000cc stroker motor is the way to go. Others can say what valve size and carbs/ injection to get good performance.
Another way would be a Subaru, IF you want to do the radiator thing, but that also will get you a full winter modern heater. and 140 UP horsepower. and a motor designed in the 1990's instead of 1960 of the type 1 motor.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: