Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you brew coffee in the camper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you brew your coffee in the camper?
Coffee Press
51%
 51%  [ 139 ]
Instant ground
11%
 11%  [ 31 ]
Stovetop espresso maker
16%
 16%  [ 44 ]
Dripper
17%
 17%  [ 48 ]
Cold brew
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Drive-thru, if available
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 271

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Exactly, an insulated beer stein.

Exactly, except for:
    Much smaller
    The lid has to flip WAY back out of your face. Because you sip at it with the cup 'almost level'. Nobody quaffs 190° liquids.
    A locking feature that seals the lid.....bueno!

But that's not "brewing".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has anyone tried this Soul Hand USB Burr grinder/brewer?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
R David Bishop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Conical funnel into a thermos
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
DuncanS wrote:
Very nice work. I just love ingenious solutions to problems which don't really exist......well, for most people, that is. For us crazed nut jobs

Like the problem of driving a 30-year-old vehicle 1,000 miles home....
only the few, the proud, the (whatever) understand.

Along those lines, does anyone know of an insulated coffee cup that has a thumb-operated lid?
If I'm gonna grind beans just before brewing....the next '....need' is to smell the coffee from the exposed liquid surface.
Sucking on my sippy cup just doesn't satisfy (in comparison).

The other details...
I like to walk around the camp with my coffee mug.
I always find 'something' to do with my other hand and thus need the lid to seal (somewhat).
Often it takes a little time of course, so insulation is good.
And because I'll always end up carrying something in the other hand, I want to operate the lid with my thumb.
Kind of like a beer-stein. Which are ok for "quaffing" but not for my coffee (or tea) camping/strolling ritual. I'd use it at home too, walking around the garden in the morning.
There are thumb-operated sippy cups but haven't found one that retracts the entire lid.

We went through a bunch o' suggestions following this quote. My Viking mug showed up, but it's too fat for my cup holder and may be 16 oz. At some point I'll fit it with a thumb operated lid anyway just because I have it.

However, the other day I was wandering around Target because my T3 carpenter friend was driving and that's where he wanted to go. While waiting for him I came across these.

They are both sippy cups, but if a fella were to Dremel the tops open you would have a close approximation of what both Sodo and I want. Push button spring loaded tops, so hitting the button and you would have a wide open mouth to them. Blue one might have a problem with the lid locking system in that grinding out the top might run into that mechanism requiring a smaller opening than we want. The purple looks better on that score.

Graphics could be fixed. And a handle added if you want a mug.

Duncan
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Graphics could be fixed. And a handle added if you want a mug.

this mug obsession... it will take you down a dark road my friend.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

No, I take mine with cream, but no sugar please.

Duncan
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

i have been using Starbucks micro ground instant coffee for years. it is great when backpacking, just heat water and stir in the packet. i have been doing this while camping in the Westy and while i enjoy the ease of making a cuppa with no clean up, i've grown tired of the selection of coffees.

i have picked up an Aeropress and Porlex mini grinder for use in the Westy. while it adds needed action from me (weighing and grinding the coffee) the ability to bring select coffees is more than worth the added effort.

tldr; i'm tired of limited coffee options and with an Aeropress and burr grinder i will be able to tailor the coffee to the camping trip.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Assuming you buy good quality Arabica beans, the best method is boiling water poured over the grounds using a cone-type filter such as Melitta makes. You cannot extract the full flavor of the bean if the water is not hot enough. Also, a coarser grind will keep you from getting the bitter oil taste that comes from grinding it too fine. As a rule, preground coffee is too fine. Buy whole bean and grind it yourself.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Threw it out. Didn't fit in the oversized cup holder in the car and the "wrought iron" and "wood" are plastic. Fell on the ground and the handle snapped off $30 down the drain.

I love Priorty Zero. Went from 26,273 on the list to Number Zero.

This is a final. I just have to buy another 73/135ths drill to replace the now missing one in the index.

Duncan
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

you have the most unique dash i've seen.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Hmmmm Unique. Sort of unique? Slightly unique? Most unique?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I was just gifted this coffee maker for our new "camper"

It uses standard K cups but requires no electricity for it pumps manually to force the water through the cup.

I'm anxious to try it out and see how it works.
It makes a 10 oz cup maximum.

My Brother has one and raves about it! No wet filters and loose grounds mess to deal with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HIXSAXQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Being a former Grunt, I prefer Ranger Coffee.
Simply apply a pinch of your favorite coffee grounds between your cheek and gum!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

My Kcup coffee maker. Works well enough for me...

BLACKSMITH FAMILY Portable Travel Coffee Maker Press, Camping Coffee Press, Travel K Cup Coffee Maker - Instantly Makes Delicious Coffee, Compatible with K Cups and Ground Coffee, 4~12 OZ One Shot

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKSMITH-FAMILY-Portable-...5&th=1
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

As a self diagnosed coffee snob, but also owner of a van with limited space, I started bringing instant coffee on our camping trips. I used to bring freshly roasted beans, a grinder, scale, v60 cone, a glass server, and a gooseneck kettle on every trip and it did make amazing coffee. This is my daily setup at home as well. But we did a 1 month trip in the van this summer and brought craft instant coffee from Verve and the convenience and quality was very worth it. It tasted nothing like nescafe or other terrible instant coffees but was much more like the quality coffee I'm used to drinking.

Worth a try if you're curious.

https://www.vervecoffee.com/collections/shop?q=instant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I prefer skunk butt to *any* kind of coffee. But, that's me Wink
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I prefer skunk butt to *any* kind of coffee. But, that's me Wink

So you would love Kopi Iuwak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak

For the majority of our weekend trips in Busta, we bring pre-brewed and heat up two servings each morning. For longer trips I use the Clever Dripper for tasty coffee and easy cleanups.
Squarebob Spongepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

JetBoil coffee press. After 40 years of camping and trying every conceivable way to brew coffee this is the absolutely best we’ve found. Compact and boils enough water for two decent size cups in 2 minutes.

Jetboil Flash Java Kit Camping and Backpacking Stove Cooking System with Silicone French Press Coffee Maker https://a.co/d/2lWtyx1
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
khughes wrote:

So you would love Kopi Iuwak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak

For the majority of our weekend trips in Busta, we bring pre-brewed and heat up two servings each morning. For longer trips I use the Clever Dripper for tasty coffee and easy cleanups.

LOL, nope talking skunk, not cat. And I'm talking actual butt, not bean-from-butt!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Just a follow up on the Presto MyJo coffee pump.

It is a WIN!

Just made my first cup.
The taste of course depends upon the brand and flavor of Pod you purchase but my results are absolutely excellent considering the methodology of the process.

It is very simple to use, just a few hand pumps on the lid until you hear the Kuerig gurgling sound.
The clean up is simply to remove the Pod and discard, the quickest rinse of coffee "dust" off of the pod piercing tang is needed.

Yes, after one use I highly recommend the MyJo.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

danielheff wrote:
As a self diagnosed coffee snob, but also owner of a van with limited space, I started bringing instant coffee on our camping trips. I used to bring freshly roasted beans, a grinder, scale, v60 cone, a glass server, and a gooseneck kettle on every trip and it did make amazing coffee. This is my daily setup at home as well. But we did a 1 month trip in the van this summer and brought craft instant coffee from Verve and the convenience and quality was very worth it. It tasted nothing like nescafe or other terrible instant coffees but was much more like the quality coffee I'm used to drinking.

Worth a try if you're curious.

https://www.vervecoffee.com/collections/shop?q=instant

Just ordered a bag of the 1950; hope it arrives before our camping trip next weekend!

I'm thinking I'll just make my wife a cup and hand it to her without telling her that it's instant-I think if she knew there'd be preconceived notions.

Though as I'm typing this message, I remember that some of the friends I will be camping with always bring one of those big "church style" coffee makers to share large batches of coffee! Ha ha, that's ok, I'll still give this a try.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: