Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some 1960 Ghia questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

Rbfara wrote:
Moopers,
Here’s an FYI thing that confused the heck out of me initially and it might be true for your ‘60 as well; some stuff on my car is specific to 1960 and some stuff seems to be from lowlight models and then some from ‘61 on. At first I thought my car had been cobbled together until I met someone else who also with a ‘60. He had the same experience. He advised me to have on hand the Bentley ‘58-‘60 as well as the ‘61-‘65. Both books together were almost as much as my car Shocked . But he was right. It seemed as though they were grabbing what ever parts were at hand to get them out the door. Good luck
R

It really seems like your right about that. I guess they were using up a lot of parts they had from the 50s. I suppose its to be expect for a car that was around almost twenty years that there are stories within stories. The 1974 Karmann Ghia is a pretty different car to a 1955 one. The years 1960 and maybe 1970 seem to be the biggest change years to focus on. I wonder if there was a similar thing with that change over in 1970.

I found this on a google photo search on the dash. That metal strip. Clearly black... Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vanagonswede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

I got two cars with that dashpad. That strip on both cars are flat black.
One car is a 60 and the other is an early 61. So i think the same as you, they used some parts until they were out of them.
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

I assume this badge is another instance of using parts they had left. If anyone knows a way to fix the missing stork? I’d appreciate it.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

mooopers wrote:
I assume this badge is another instance of using parts they had left. If anyone knows a way to fix the missing stork? I’d appreciate it.

A very quick and easy fix is to use "auto badge tape"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maveek-Double-Waterproof-...Q5U7R0I9ZV
Secure and waterproof. Easy to remove using a length of strong twine without marking.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

Well it’s worth a go!! Thanks John
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

late to the party here, my May of 60 convertible underdash trim piece is also black though it looks like chrome under it.

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Not sure if I should paint it black again or take the paint off and leave it. I guess I can decide once I've taken it all off. I don't know where I am gonna get the screws that hold it on though they were tiny and broke easily.
1969 T2 Deluxe
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

Quote:

late to the party here, my May of 60 convertible underdash trim piece is also black though it looks like chrome under it.

They are aluminum, so its just shiny alum underneath the black paint.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

They are aluminum, so its just shiny alum underneath the black paint.

Good to know! Thanks!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

Does anyone know a source for the screws that hold the dash trim on?

Thanks!
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

john morris wrote:

Thanks!

I obsessed about these, and the closest to the originals I found were from boltdepot.com

Wood screws, Slotted oval head, Brass, #2

they are almost perfect, just paint them black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

Thanks 61karmann! I apologize for the delay. Life has been busy and I have not been on-line much.
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

61karmann wrote:
john morris wrote:

Thanks!

I obsessed about these, and the closest to the originals I found were from boltdepot.com

Wood screws, Slotted oval head, Brass, #2

they are almost perfect, just paint them black.

Can you post a photo of these. I’m really struggling to find a substitute for the originals.
1969 T2 Deluxe
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

All originals on the left, & the two on the right are from boltdepot, painted black.
The only difference is there is a slight shoulder with no threads, and the head itself it SLIGHTLY smaller. Obviously one is metric and the other standard, so the threads are courser. But they do work and look the same.
I used nylon nuts on the backsides just to make sure it holds. These days those small holes develop crud and after cleaning out sometimes grow or get sloppy. Anyway, i think they helped me out a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some 1960 Ghia questions Reply with quote

That is a great substitute, hope I can get something this side of the pond that will do the trick. Thank you for posting
1969 T2 Deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: