Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Knock
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through this right now.
At idle it sounds like someone tapping the block with a small ball peen hammer. Tapping goes away almost immediatley upon accelleration. Occasionally under load I will hear a fast tapping noise that goes away when backin off the throttle. I added some MMO to the oil and it seems louder at idle, although when at a stop with my foot on the brake, the noise seems be quieter in Reverse and dissapears when in Drive. I have only put 2 miles on it since adding the MMO, so I've got some driving to do before I see results. It's also time to change the oil and filter. I'll need to wait for the proper MAHLE to come in.
Any ideas why the noise would get quiet in Drive and Reverse, but not in Park or Neutral? Is there a Park Detent I should be looking at?
sojournforchrist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks! the info really helps!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My monster is having grumbles too. I thought it odd, this is the second time I heard this. First was on the autobahn, cruzin at 120, but only breifly. This time I had just started him up. Sounded like rod knock to me. I shut him down and checked the oil. He's not due for a change for another month, but he was a quart low. 10w40. I didn't notice the knock driving home, but when I pulled into the driveway, there it was. It followed me home. I just hope it goes away again and stays away for another two months. Domo gets an engine swap for Xmas!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! Thats 120 KPH, not MPH!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibmaness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same ticking in my engine and man I thought surely this is the dreaded rod throwing noise that I've always heard about. Thanks to all for the posts on hydraulic lifters. Mine finally quieted down.
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached is a video I took of the sound of my van that sat for a week.

Link

Lifters sound.. after driving it for 15mins it went away.
magicpotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

I know it's an old threat but I want to add my recent experience with this. I drained my oil, did some repairs over about 5 days, started her up on a chilly day and... CLACK CLACK CLACK. Very loud, really I was worried about my engine just giving out any second. But I let it warm up totally, revved it a bit and eventually it went away after a 10 minutes. I was trying to see where the sound may have been coming from, it was most obvious when underneath the engine right above the crankshaft pulley. I put a screwdriver up to the #1 cylinder and sure enough it was a loud click.

Anyways, hopefully the sound stays away...
adesn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Reviving this old thread yet again, but I'm new and have had my 1984 Vanagon for about a year. Got a great summer of camping in though for 2021!

According to the previous owner, she's on the second engine, a 2.1 wasserboxer.

Anywho, it's winter up here in Vermont, but I try to start her up every few weeks and run it around the neighborhood. For the cold season, she is hibernating in my heated shop with the battery turned off.

The last time I started the van was back around Halloween, a little over a month ago. After a hard crank, she starting making the dreaded knocking noise.
Still knocking after 10 minutes of "warm-up", and then a quick drive around the block the noise all but went away.

I'm currently trying to find a good mechanic in VT to give it a once-over, but that is becoming harder and harder these days! I'm all ears if anyone in Vermont has some recommendations, both on the noise (fingers crossed it's the lifters I'm reading about) and a good shop that knows their way around these old vans!

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrX8q9LAL3U
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Maybe try Marvel Mystery Oil

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9731105#9731105
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Definitely try the MMO before going to a mechanic. It could be that simple, especially if it has been sitting around for a few weeks/months.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

^^^ Classic lifter tick, and another hearty vote for MMO. I use 4oz. in every
oil change & haven't heard my lifters in about 10 years... Shocked Very Happy

FWIW: Don't feel obligated to "run it around the neighborhood", it'll be fine just
sitting parked through the winter. Fresh oil change in the fall, one final long drive
to full running temp before parking & it'll be ready for you in the spring.

Vermont, huh? Consider: every low temp start (...with cold, thick oil... Confused ) takes
extra time to lubricate moving parts, causing unnecessary wear & tear.

Running to full temp before parking is necessary to burn off crankcase moisture
which otherwise collects & also contributes to internal corrosion & wear...

Happy van, happy man/woman! Wink

- Dave

PS: Welcome to Samba, BTW! Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Echoing Dave's suggestion about starting up over winter "just because".

My standard procedure before parking is to fill the tank after adding 4oz. Sta-Bil, change the oil and filter, run until fully warmed up, then park and disable any circuits drawing power (#3 on later models w/ radio, analog clock, etc) by pulling fuse.

My experience with the lifter clatter has shown that it occurs most often following a short cold start up, such as when you rearrange the driveway. Mine does it nearly every time if I don't let the engine warm to operating temp. The very next start will have the clatter.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
adesn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Thank for the suggestions on MMO, I'm going to give it a try and do an oil change and then let her sit for the winter.

Appreciate the help and looking forward to learning more on The Samba!!!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

as far as I know... valve train noises are high pitch (in the treble register) and engine knock noises are in the low pitch (in the bass register).

Your case is valve train noises, MMO will help.
SlowSpeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Another bump and an knock issue.

https://youtu.be/-zi6N7nHIPQ
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Knock Reply with quote

Mine is always noisy when it sat for a week or 2. I believe it is a common lifter issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: