Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dog House fan kit
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

Has anyone used AA Performance Products ?

I am looking at this kit Black 36HP Dog House Tin Kit With Ducts With Preheat. Seems like a good price

https://aapistons.com/products/black-36hp-dog-house-tin-kit-with-ducts-with-preheat

Thanks, Kerwin
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

You get what you pay for.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

Looks like the same EMPI kit with all the ill fitting tins.
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

I converted my 67 1500 to doghouse this year, using original tins. I would highly suggest that you do the same!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

Airstream65 wrote:
I converted my 67 1500 to doghouse this year, using original tins. I would highly suggest that you do the same!

Yep, just be sure to get the fan, shroud, and all tins... they are a matched set and changed somewhat over time.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

I used a Scat shroud with Empi tins and the fit was actually decent. Can’t speak of the set you’re looking at.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

I got all my tins for my car from these guys. Give them a call

https://interstateusedparts.com/collections/bug
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

The original German sheet metal tin is the best way to go. They fit correctly.
Shop the Samba adds.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Shop the Samba adds.

Finding good used DP tins is getting more and more difficult. By the time you spend hours cleaning, straightening and painting used tins you can be up and ready to go with new. I understand the hive mind is that OG is the only way to go, but I’ve put aftermarket on a few vehicles now and it works and the fit isn’t as awful as is promoted.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

I was always bugged by the "straight back" heater air outlets in those shrouds. Seems like VW had it right when they slanted them down for better airflow. It must take some fancy vanes inside to make that work. We know there was
a LOT of work to optimize those vanes by VW, and the poor performance of some aftermarket ones with simpler vanes. Maybe the "Mercedes SSK look" appeals to some, but but seems wrong to my eye.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:
Shop the Samba adds.

Finding good used DP tins is getting more and more difficult. By the time you spend hours cleaning, straightening and painting used tins you can be up and ready to go with new. I understand the hive mind is that OG is the only way to go, but I’ve put aftermarket on a few vehicles now and it works and the fit isn’t as awful as is promoted.

I’ve see a couple here’s something funny, it all fits if you have grinders and files etc. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I was always bugged by the "straight back" heater air outlets in those shrouds. Seems like VW had it right when they slanted them down for better airflow. It must take some fancy vanes inside to make that work. We know there was
a LOT of work to optimize those vanes by VW, and the poor performance of some aftermarket ones with simpler vanes. Maybe the "Mercedes SSK look" appeals to some, but but seems wrong to my eye.

I agree, a lot of turbulent air created by those abrupt heater pipes. I'm sure I've seen and article with some of these aftermarket fan shrouds opened up and either the vanes are pretty basic and/or loosely tacked in place to rattle or come adrift later.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
kbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

Did I miss something here ? The original poster wants a dog house fan housing with fresh air supply. He is being advised to use an original dog house fan shroud that only came on late model 1600 engines. I know that they will fit all 40HP and up engines, but can they be made to fit a 36HP engine? I doubt it. Second question, if so why is asking for a fresh air supply. All 36HP engines came with a dirty air supply heater. No need for the fresh air supply, unless its possible to fit heater boxes to a36HP engine.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog House fan kit Reply with quote

The hemispherical style is sometimes called a "36 HP shroud" even if it in intended for later engines.

The link he shows included fresh air heating ductwork in the shroud and tin.

His post is not clear if this is the case, or if it is truly for a 36 HP motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: