Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Super Beetle Baja Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< September 2021>>>

I pulled out the dash to make painting the interior a bit easier and to repair the cracks. Not sure if I will be keeping the little dancing chick. Next, I removed the head liner. I think I will be using the bamboo blind approach.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I decided to reroute the electrical harness that leads to the rear of the bug. I ran it inside the unused heater channel.

All of the window channels are prepped and ready for paint. Sans the doors. After sanding for dayz... The chassis is ready for paint. One of the previous owners(s) used some cheap paint to repaint the bug. It is very soft and the prep work was terrible. It would just flake off in spots. It took a lot of sanding to clean it up.

My makeshift paint booth.

I painted the inside first.

After a day of cleaning and final prep, the exterior was painted. What a milestone! It turned out pretty good.

That is all for this month. This weekend is Circle Yer Wagons! Smile
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< October 2021>>>

First, the dash was repaired. I used fiberglass and bondo. I am not sure if it will hold up, but I wanted
to try to keep the original dash if possible. I used truck bed liner for covering the old dash. I opted for the spray kind. It didn't create much
texture. I should have used roll on for the top.

I installed the switches and gauges to the dash panel and re-installed the dash.

Next, I sanded and painted the hood, one rear fender, Engine cover brackets, and rear engine cover (what's left of it).

Forgot to take pictures for your viewing pleasure. Crying or Very sad

I 3D printed some new wiper bushings out of ABS and re-assembled the wipers.

The gas door and filler neck, followed by the front fenders. All of the front lights, LED bar connector, and wiring installed and buttoned up.

The side markers and especially the tail lights are in bad shape. I cleaned and polished them for now and will replace them in the future.

I added an oil temp and pressure gauge. For the temp sending unit location, I drilled and tapped the remote oil filter adapter.

Mounted the oil cooler.

The front and rear bumpers are installed along with the LED light bar.

I re-install the antenna with a slight modification. I took out the radio, so I didn't want the antenna sticking up. I used a SS bolt in the place of the mast. That leaves the option to use a radio at a later time.

Next up are the side rail. I used some threaded inserts to attach them. I also applied bed liner to the lower fender areas. Adds a nice touch I think.

The rear seat storage area is finished. The new quarter panels add a nice touch. I also added a battery cut off switch.

There are a lot of "small" behind the scene projects that I left out. Would make for a very lengthy post! I hope to have the doors re assembled and mounted next month.
That is all for this months post.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< November 2021>>>

November was another big month. The bug will never be "done", however, I am finally to the point where I can drive it. What a blast!

I started off November by repainting the wiper arms and installed new wiper blades. The seats came next.

Next, I finished plumbing in the oil system.

The doors came next. I started by rebuilding the vent windows.

I rebuilt the key locks as well. They where a bit sticky.

The rebuilt doors in all of their glory. I replaced all of the rubber and cleaned and polished any reused parts. I was going to build my own door and quarter panels, but decided against it. I am glad that I spent a little extra and bought the TMI panels. My brother-in-law made me some sweet handles.

I cleaned the center caps and reinstalled. These are original SS caps. I have been told by a few people that they are pretty rare. IDK, but they look good Smile

Side mirrors and tractor flap installed.

The rear view mirror housing was literally disintegrating in my hands. I tried stabilizing the case by applying a thin layer of fiber glass resin over the shell.
I added a layer of fiberglass mesh over the areas that had holes. Next, I sanded and applied truck bed liner over it. Time will tell if it holds up. Shiny new visors added.

I gave the bug a good shake down this weekend. It was a blast to drive. I think I have the carb tuned in pretty well. That is where the good news stops...

I noticed that the tranny and engine nose dive towards the front of the car. Need to check the front tranny mount. You know, the only one I didn't replace...
The front tires rub a little bit on the fenders, so I will have cut them up. I was really hoping not to cut them. The fuel sending unit o-ring is a pancake, so I will
need to pull the tank. Last, but not least, I have a pretty large brake fluid leak at the master cylinder. puh...

I replaced the front tranny mount and no more nose diving. It wasn't too bad and I didn't have to pull the engine. I actually had more grief threading
the rear transmission mount to frame bolts back in. After an hour panic set in! A final plea to The Lord and they both miraculously connected and threaded right back in.

The fuel sending unit o-ring was replaced and no more fuel smell or leaking. I also reworked the leaky hose on the master cylinder. After 3 days of driving it is still dry. Smile

The front tires rub on the fenders when I have a passenger, so I had to do some trimming. I decided to cut off an inch. It turned out ok.

I had a clunking noise when driving and discovered that the shocks didn't have enough travel when extending. I replaced the new KYB's with a taller set of KYB 344290's.
No more clunking and rides much smoother. The last bit of noise was taken care of by adding some tool drawer lining material under the battery and changing the way I
cinch down the battery.

I made a VW emblem out of some carbon fiber for the hood. Turned out nice.

This is how the bug looks now. More changes are in store. I still need to rebuild some of the steering system, add a head liner, and add a roof rack, etc..

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

Wow, that is a very nice build. Where did you source the springs fro the front end?
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
Wow, that is a very nice build. Where did you source the springs fro the front end?

Hi there fellow Tennessian. Thank you. I believe I bought mine from aircooled.net.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tapered-Super-Beetle-Strut-Springs-1-Lift-87-0307-p/87-0307.htm

Take care,
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I bookmarked it. Never know when it comes in handy. I used to have a super in the 90's. Your version is definitely super nice.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

The car looks great
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Ralf29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

"I cleaned the center caps and reinstalled. These are original SS caps. I have been told by a few people that they are pretty rare. IDK, but they look good"

That is certainly true. Even in Germany, the caps of the world champion rims are paid dearly and have become super rare in undented condition. Even the world champion rims with the raised centering for the disc brakes you no longer get on every corner. These rims are the prettiest for me for a Beetle.
Your project I really like to look at and you did a great job.

LG
Ralf
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

Baja I have to ask. What did you make the rear kick panels out of? They look good. The whole car looks well done also..congratulations
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

Sweet ride. Well done.
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

Awesome. Love it, lots of nice detail and ideas aplenty to steal! Thanks!
Mylastbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

Very well done. Impressive.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
Baja I have to ask. What did you make the rear kick panels out of? They look good. The whole car looks well done also..congratulations

Thank you. I don't have any kick panels. The interior floor and sides are covered with Herculiner. Take care.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< December 2021>>>

First, thank you to everyone for your kind comments!

I added a few small additions this month. I started out by replacing the busted visor clips. I was gifted a steering wheel cover and fire extinguisher.

Someone jerry rigged the passenger side bearing nut. Replaced with a proper allen bolt. $.90 to install it properly...

Next, I replaced all of the tie rods, damper, and damper bushing. What a hugely epic difference! Nice and tight!

I installed the tow bar shackles in the bumper.

The bug now has a full LED conversion on the running lights. I installed an LED relay, however, I had to use two resistors to fix the no blinker issue when running lights are on and the rapid flash issue. I used the resistors in the tail lights.

As a side project, I started tinkering on the blower motor. The blower motor was melted and fused. I decided to try to rebuild it using a 12v drill motor I had laying around. First, I repaired the fan and rebalanced it. I 3D printed an adapter to lock the motor in place and another adapter to install the fan to the motor shaft. The most recent version of the adapter has vents for the motor. It is still a WIP.

I decided to use two of the old jugs and make a cup holder. I decided to keep the metal look and clear coat it.

The bug has a hesitation when giving it a bit of throttle. I am going to change the main jet from a .127.5 to a .130 a see what happens. I am guessing that the larger pistons combined with the larger PICT 34 might be the cause. I have already checked timing, accelerator pump, choke, and air leaks.

There are a few small projects that I still need to do. Other than that, the only major project for the bug is a roof rack. I won't be able to start on it till February or March though.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Be careful out there and have a Happy New Year!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

The recent additions look good. I like your cup holder idea.

On the hesitation. If it's happening just off idle. Changing the main jet will make it worse, higher up the rpm range.

Have a look at the idle jet and timing too.
Make sure that the timing advance is all in at 3-3300 rpm, vacuum line disconnected and the carb side plugged.
30° all in is a good number to start. Some engines like a little less. And others like a little more advance.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The recent additions look good. I like your cup holder idea.

On the hesitation. If it's happening just off idle. Changing the main jet will make it worse, higher up the rpm range.

Have a look at the idle jet and timing too.
Make sure that the timing advance is all in at 3-3300 rpm, vacuum line disconnected and the carb side plugged.
30° all in is a good number to start. Some engines like a little less. And others like a little more advance.

Thank you.

Thanks for the tip also. The hesitation happens while driving also. As in, stop to 1st, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd... If I gradually give it throttle it is fine. It only does it if I give it a quick bump. There is no back firing. I Current timing is at 28.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< January 2022>>>

Very slow month. Replaced the main jet with a .130 and swapped out the drivers side front bearing cover. I tweaked the timing settings to get rid of the hesitation when popping the throttle.

I managed to get the fresh air blower going by using a different motor, however, I didn't reconnect the ducting to the defrost. I don't feel like pulling the dash right now, so I buttoned everything up.

74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< February 2022>>>

Finally added a canister fuel filter. Not sure what it is from. I had this laying around for 10 years or so. I tucked it out of the way under the bug. The engine area looks much better now.

I also cleaned up the hoses coming to and fro from the oil cooler.

That's it. I have decided not to install a roof rack. I hope to have the head liner and floor mats installed by May for the Circle Yer Wagons show.

Take care.
74SBBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

<<< March 2022>>>

I installed a Camber Plus kit. My front camber was off by 1 degree which started to cause uneven tire wear.

I decided to install a valve cover vent system in hopes to lower the internal case pressure. I have a few oil leaks. Very minor and actually no big deal
other than being annoying. After driving the bug for a couple of weeks I noticed a huge decrease in oil leaks. I am amazed how well it works!

Next up was my fuel sending unit replacement. It finally died completely. I had an issue once I installed the new sending unit. The fuel gauge would register 1/4 tank even if the tank was full. I checked the operation of the sending unit and gauge. Moving the sending unit by hand would give me correct read outs on the gauge. The resistance/ohms where pretty close also.

The cause of the issue was one of the float arms touching a baffle in the tank when I tighten the sending unit. I backed off the sending unit by ~ 1/16 and it fixed the issue.

I also added a fuel shutoff and cleaned up the fuel line around the dizzy a bit.

Picked up an area rug and matching accent rugs at the store and made the head liner and floor mats. Turned out good.

Sadly I listed my bug for sale for funds for my next project.
El_Vochito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle Baja Build Reply with quote

SUPER build. LOVE the color combo,. What size tires are those? just picked up a SB trying to do the same. Thanks! Surprised
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: