Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dwell question
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Dwell question Reply with quote

Hello,

I have tested my dwell @ 32 with two separate meters (Sears and Accurate Instrument Co) but the points gap is the correct 0.016. I know feeler gauge measurements can be off some, but…. The Engine runs great. When the gap is closer (dwell @ 45-4Cool the feeler gauge .016 doesn’t fit in the points and the engine will stall at low RMPs when coming to a stop.

Here are my engine specs:
1600SP
30 PICT-1
German vacuum distributor 118 905 205K

Is the dwell okay at 32 if the engine runs good?

What is going on?

-Rich
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
..........When the gap is closer (dwell @ 45-4Cool the feeler gauge .016 doesn’t fit in the points and the engine will stall at low RMPs when coming to a stop...........

Of course you are resetting the timing after changing the dwell, right???

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

You're confusing dwell angle and timing advance.

The dwell angle should be around 49*.

Timing should be 7.5* at idle with the vacuum hose disconnected and the carb port plugged.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Yes, but just static timing with test light, 7.5 BTDC if I remember correctly. I don’t have a timing light.

-Rich
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Yes, but just static timing with test light, 7.5 BTDC if I remember correctly. I don’t have a timing light.

-Rich

Get a timing light if you plan of owning an old car.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

We’ll,

I don’t believe I’m confusing timing v. Dwell. The dwell measures @ 32 and the points gap is 0.016 with feeler gauge. Timing is set (static) @ 7.5 BTDC. Correct?

Engine runs great but both dwell meters measuring 32, not 45-48.

-Rich
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Are they set for a 4 cylinder?

Forget the feeler gauge and use the dwell meter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Glenn,

Agree with the timing light. Next on the list for sure.

With that said, I have always used a feeler gauge to set my gaps and static timing.

I thought I’d give a dwell meter a try for the first time. Because my engine was runnning so well I thought the first meter was off so I tried a second meter. They both measured the dwell angle @ 32. Both meters are set for 4 cylinders. When I adjusted the points gap closer than 0.016, and used the meters to measured the dwell angle @ 48, the engine now stalls when coming to a stop at a lights. I also adjusted the timing each time after I adjusted the points. But that was just static timing.

I wouldn’t think I was that far off by using a feeler gauge at 0.016 and static timing @ 7.5 BTDC. Could it be off by that much?

I reset everything back to what I originally had it set to and will try it again once I get a timing light.

-Rich
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

With a vacuum advance only distributor you don't NEED a timing light, but it's not a bad idea. The factory manuals describe setting timing static. It is an accurate method. A 113 K distributor is static timed at 7-8 degrees BTDC. With brand new points I like to set dwell at 43-49 which is a bit wide but allows for points rubbing block to wearing in and not need adjustment quite so soon. You might need to do some carburetor adjustments along with distributor tuning to eliminate your stalling issue.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

If you are gonna run points in your Bus, invest in a good dwell meter and timing light.
I have the exact same set up in Jerry the Bus.
Here are the specs I run:

Set your dwell first:
48-52 degrees

then set your timing
7.5degrees BTDC

Your motor will be very happy at those numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

I’d grab one of these I love mine, make tuning quick.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Counterpoint

In the Muir days, static timing was fine.

Now these cars have 60 year old distributors and advance mechanism in them and you need the light to sort out problems not foreseen 60 years ago.

Suggestion….forget the timing light and get your distributor reworked by Bill, Glenn , or one of the great guys here.

Send your money to add value to your car, not to a cheap piece of crap electronics you need once or twice a year.
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Glenn,

Agree with the timing light. Next on the list for sure.

With that said, I have always used a feeler gauge to set my gaps and static timing.

I thought I’d give a dwell meter a try for the first time. Because my engine was runnning so well I thought the first meter was off so I tried a second meter. They both measured the dwell angle @ 32. Both meters are set for 4 cylinders. When I adjusted the points gap closer than 0.016, and used the meters to measured the dwell angle @ 48, the engine now stalls when coming to a stop at a lights. I also adjusted the timing each time after I adjusted the points. But that was just static timing.

I wouldn’t think I was that far off by using a feeler gauge at 0.016 and static timing @ 7.5 BTDC. Could it be off by that much?

I reset everything back to what I originally had it set to and will try it again once I get a timing light.

-Rich

Are you connecting the meter to the correct terminals?
Some meters connect to terminal one and ground like my Bosch motor tester and some others to 15 and 1, etc. Please check that...
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Simple:
Get an analog dwell meter, set it at 46-50 degrees.
Get a dial advance timing light, rev it up and set your total advance at 28-30 degrees.
Done.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

I have an Innova timing light very similar in appearance to the one shown in a post above. FYI, They are pretty cool, very precise, but as I remember they need to be hooked up to a 12 volt system, and most of my old VWs are 6 volt powered. To get around that, a dear buddy (Brian Holcomb RIP) once showed me how to park any 12 volt car (or just a 12 volt car battery) next to the 6 volt car and hook up the "power wires/cables" from the Innova unit to the 12 volt car battery and the other cables from the Innova to the appropriate terminals on the 6 volt car and suddenly all was "hunky-dory"! Thanks again, and rest in peace Brian.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

What is the factory dwell spec? Ive seen 3 or 4 different values here.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
What is the factory dwell spec? Ive seen 3 or 4 different values here.
anywhere from 46-52 is just fine. Your dwell changes over time as the points wear and change. The important thing is the timing, and the important number there is your total advance. 95%+ of your driving will be at full advance.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Yep. I wouldn't "dwell" on it. Set the timing for full advance and let the idle fall where it may. Nothing more unnerving than setting full advance on a Porsche 911SC at 6,000 rpm. I seem to remember Harry Pellow opining that 30 degrees all in was the safe limit on the old 356 and 912 engines.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Thanks to all.

I borrowed an induction timing light from a friend today and checked timing during lunch. With the bus engine warmed I tested the timing at idle (approx 800-900 RPM) and my timing was spot on with the timing light. So, one for static timing.

Lind,
I will try checking the timing at full advance to make sure the can is working properly. Is the RPMs @ 3,000 for full advance on my little 1600 engine? 30 deg advance BTDC?

Tizian,
Yes, the meters are hooked up correctly. The Sears with three wires requires neg (-) on the coil with green wire, positive (+) on battery with red wire, and negative on battery ground on body with black wire.

The Accurate Instruments meter with two wires is red on the neg (-) on the coil and black on battery (-) wire to body ground.

Both measure 32 deg dwell at idle.

This weekend I will again try adjusting the points using the meters to 48 deg dwell (room for block ware and buildup between the points) and adjust timing if needed via the timing light. I may also try the old matchbook trick to get it closer rather than the 0.016 feeler gage. We'll see what happens.

BTW galexander,

After 10+ years in setting my buses with feeler gauges and static timing, It was your YouTube video that caused me to consider checking my dwell in the first place....Thanks!!! Ha, ha.

I'll let you guys know what I find out this weekend.

Cheers

-Rich
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell question Reply with quote

Unless your points are brand new and perfectly aligned, a feeler blade can be inaccurate. The tit makes you set it way too wide.

I like to be able to use a feeler blade on the road as a "close enough" check, but there is a trick. If you don't put the blade between the entire face of the points, but just the "un-titted" edge, you can get a decent reading. They have to be properly aligned for even this hack to work.

I have a point file but it's hard to get it in there right without pulling the distributor, or at least the points. Easier to just put in your spare new/filed point set for the rest of your drive (you DO have a spare set in the car at all times, right?), then set your static timing, and be close enough to drive decently and get you home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: