Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
As much as I can on E85. Not sure what that is. I know the case is good for 27 to 30 pounds. That’s what folts and Schuh use to run. There up to 50 with the Pauter case now.

2733cc, more compression, 20lbs of boost...

sounds sketchy Twisted Evil
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I've run 31 psi on a mag case. It was a stock engine though. I have a mag case now opened up to 94mm that has seen 27psi. I will be seeing if i can do mid 30's psi here in the next week or 2.
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I've ran 80psi in a sleeved cast iron block. Oops, wrong forum.. Cool
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I'll order up the "1641" sticker for the fan shroud now. Twisted Evil Laughing Cool
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
I'll order up the "1641" sticker for the fan shroud now. Twisted Evil Laughing Cool

Need three. Two for the rear quarter windows Smile
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Nando_b63 wrote:
jim martin wrote:
install just like this,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One inch from the flange that bolts to the head.
Center probe in the pipe.
the probes come with the bung to weld to the header .after the bungs are welded you may need to carefully run a tap into the bungs as they can get a bit distorted and not allow the adapter to sit fully after , also predrill the hole into the header and use the drill bit to keep the bung centred while welding .use a dowel or something to allow all tips when inserted to be exactly the same depth dead centre in pipe to tip of probe - after they have been installed once the crush sleeve will keep the depth .
also with the tc 4 you can only watch live/record via lap top , if not you need to add a lm-2 or a pl-1
also I will give you tips on install and if you need a good location and need to extend wiring let me know . the probes with the innovate kit come fro exhaust gas technologies and the have the correct wire and connectors if you need them . you do not cut the probe wire length !!! if you cannot connect directly to tc-4 use wire and connectors as shown .let me know if you want me to call you in the morning

Even if I have to PayPal you $$ could you pm me what exact is this all for?

hey i was this close to a paypal pay day , nuts .

yes , knowledge and data is power ,but more important is gathering it and being able to decipher and learn from it is the key .
i use a
LM2 for lambda , rpm and 4 other 0-5v inputs
TC4 plus for 4 EGT probes for exhaust gas temperature .
a older but a fantastic unit LMA3 which i use 3 of the internal sensors and the other 2 for 0-5v inputs

looks like this on my laptop

i do switch it around and learned alot form using suspension level sensors . i had no idea home much my car was pogoing in the rear down the track .

this is what it looks like with everything and to you it looks like garbage but i can quickly pick things out , but even better you can selsct or deselect and view whatever you want .

here is a good example both are at launch
first the bad

then the better

se if you can pic it out .
anyway this is not a place for me to be posting this as its someone else's thread but someone i have enjoyed helping along the way .
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

That's awesome!
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

sled wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:
As much as I can on E85. Not sure what that is. I know the case is good for 27 to 30 pounds. That’s what folts and Schuh use to run. There up to 50 with the Pauter case now.

2733cc, more compression, 20lbs of boost...

sounds sketchy Twisted Evil

nope sounds about right . i run 10.5:1 and was going to increase it to closer to 10.7:1 but some last minute head work took a few more cc's out lowering it a tad
now depending on final intended target usage valve train does not need to be set to kill .that displacement motor with a just for example a fk-10 and lift set to about .550" lift and either a 110 or 112 lobe seperation depending on gearing and 18-22 lbs boost will be perfect
Dialedinperformance.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

We did the DKP toy drive cruise again this year, great turnout and great cruise thru the xmas lights. Lots of 1st gear idling.

Anyways, came home and felt like doing a leak down on the engine, The Longacre Digital tester is just sitting here so I did.

4000 miles since the rings were replaced. Here is what I found. (6500 on engine now)

#1 6%
#2 7%
#3 9%
#4 5%

This was 2 hours after It ran so not at operating temp and all the leaking was from rings. Not bad.

When taking the cap off to set each cylinder at TDC i noticed the rotor was about to fall off. I never had this type of rotor and didnt think to loctite the screws. Not sure how long it was like this. It had been starting a little funny.

Guess im lucky the timing isn't off the rotor. Still was way out of phase.

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Do you think you'll ever go distributorless ?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Not unless I have too. I want as few wires in engine bay as possible.
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I stopped doing leakage tests , caused me more worry for no reason .if the egt numbers haven't changed and crankcase pressure has not increased run it .
if you want to know how well your engine is sealed , try this .now its easy for me as I have only one crankcase vent output .
fire car up and remove hose from vent or for others you may need to plug off or pinch off other vent lines .
put a rubber glove over the outlet and zap strap it tightly .
if you have no crankcase pressure/great ring seal the glove will just lay there and move like a fish outa water - if it starts filling up like a balloon real fast and blows apart .you got trouble .a very slow fill of the glove no issue either .
try it fun as hell but tells a big store .
don't forget at say 8000 rpm there is very little getting past rings
Dialedinperformance.com
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

jim martin wrote:
I stopped doing leakage tests , caused me more worry for no reason .if the egt numbers haven't changed and crankcase pressure has not increased run it .
if you want to know how well your engine is sealed , try this .now its easy for me as I have only one crankcase vent output .
fire car up and remove hose from vent or for others you may need to plug off or pinch off other vent lines .
put a rubber glove over the outlet and zap strap it tightly .
if you have no crankcase pressure/great ring seal the glove will just lay there and move like a fish outa water - if it starts filling up like a balloon real fast and blows apart .you got trouble .a very slow fill of the glove no issue either .
try it fun as hell but tells a big store .
don't forget at say 8000 rpm there is very little getting past rings

Good crankcase pressure test!

I have an unrelated question. On the photo above with the electronics installed in the back floorpan area, what type of black paint or coating did you use on the floorpan?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Thanks Jim,

I will try that way next time, I was checking the valves for the most part to see how they are holding up. Zero leaking from intake and exhaust. The spring pressure we are running is 270 on the seat and over 500 on the nose. Just didn't know how streetable that was.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Shocked I see some very clever ideas here. Like the roll cage bracket on the heater channel, and using the old heater and foam as a passage for wiring. Nice work!

Question, did you remove the heater duct inlet on the channel or is it hidden under the roll cage bracket? Ive been looking for a good excuse to rid of mine.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

its trimmed off and boxing for roll cage is welded over top
Dialedinperformance.com
kwarloc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
So we(geers)have started building a Second engine, This will be the one going in the car and the current engine will be a back-up engine.

82mm Marine crank (88 was to big for what we are doing)
101.5 or 103 pistons CE with LA sleeve cylinders
Roller cam
RLR E85 friendly 4 barrel for his Turbo set-up... Thats right TURBO...
Autocraft 910 heads, bare, geers will build them. (He likes the JPm's but parts are hard to get in a pinch)
The rest is up to Geers or me with the advise of Jim Martin.(any of your knowledge will be greatly appreciated.)

This combo will have no problem putting out 400hp with minimal boost , If I had Geers build me a N/A 3057cc with all the best shit i'm still only looking at 250 to the tires with E85 and I want more. A lot more!!!

The old engine will get the geers treatment once the turbo is up and running...12.5 to 1 for the E85 with a cam change and new heads. That will get me close to 250 to the tires...

has folts started building you a GB5speed yet? i think he showed me the nose cone for the bus tranny when he did mine. when I decided on going turbo... it also had to be a 5speed. best decision I made including having dave build the trans. although I just went w/ a type 1 box but he spared nothing in the build. i'm running a .77 5th and it will make you shit your pants if your not careful. it hasn't happened to me cuz I've only had the balls to go 140. i have to shift at like 6300-6500 because its scary fast right about there. it feels like the edge of where shit can go wrong, really wrong, if your not careful... driving on the street.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

has folts started building you a GB5speed yet? i think he showed me the nose cone for the bus tranny when he did mine. when I decided on going turbo... it also had to be a 5speed. best decision I made including having dave build the trans. although I just went w/ a type 1 box but he spared nothing in the build. i'm running a .77 5th and it will make you shit your pants if your not careful. it hasn't happened to me cuz I've only had the balls to go 140. i have to shift at like 6300-6500 because its scary fast right about there. it feels like the edge of where shit can go wrong, really wrong, if your not careful... driving on the street.[/quote]

yes, First one is going into his sons 63 ragtop we are building for him. Turbo injected 002 bus 5 speed. link to pictures below

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQZYp74Je3D/
Bulldog818
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Nice thread!!!!!
GPRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I've gone through all 78 pages of your thread. I like how you do not give up and keep improving things. My one question is, have you thought about using a Race-pak dash / data acquisition? I'm getting ready to start my Ghia build and have been thinking about using a digital dash so I can see real time what is going on. My engine will be a 2387cc, TF-1 case. Folts will build my trans since he built my last one for my racecar.
Looking forward to seeing your new engine being built. Keep it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 84

Jump to: