Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

This Jake Raby video came out this year and just saw it last night.

Very interesting as to why Jake prefers the T-4 1.7 and 1.8 case over the 2.0 case.

I had no clue about this internal area.

The 2.0 is not as strong, especially if you intend on going larger or just increasing HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siPS_EBLxLY
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

he has tons of videos on the T4 FB group. Quite a but of good stuff but the guy makes me fall asleep.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

I agree, but when it comes to engines, he knews his stuff.

Youtube made it easy, you just fast forward .

I worked with Jake and Joe from Oregon Performance back in the T-4 revaluation, ha !

My engine is a 2.0 with a never used 1.7 case, I stuck in 2.0 pistons, crank and rods.

So the video made me happy .
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Yeah. The material between the cylinders is thinner on the 2.0 cases.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Good video. I like the rear main seal oil passage idea.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

When it comes to T-4 engines Jake is one of the best, he has a long history from military aircraft engines.

Actually I think there is a video of Jake putting together an entire T-1 engine blind folded at one of the car shows.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

I should just note, that it is not all 1.7 cases that have the meat between the cylinder. It seems to be more production date related. For example, by the time the T4 was adapted (in my opinion…ruined) for use in the bus, the CB 1.7 cases had the material removed between the cylinders. It appears to me that only the earlier (before being adapted to the bus) 1.7 cases from the 411 / 914 had this material in place.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Lucky I got the 914 1.7 case with the dipstick in the VW Bug location.

It is amazing how many years we have put these engines under a microscope and we still find something to talk about.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Lucky I got the 914 1.7 case with the dipstick in the VW Bug location.

It is amazing how many years we have put these engines under a microscope and we still find something to talk about.

kind of... The info is out there, just not known by many due to the fact T1's are more popular.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

I totally agree, that is the reason why when guys were trying to explain the benefits of the T-4, the only news was bad news about the 2 ton buses blowing engines and no one knew anything about them.

At the same time the guys in Europe putting them in bugs and the Kaffa Cup races were amazing with T-4 engines. Even the major magazines wrote little about them. Every thing was T-1.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I totally agree, that is the reason why when guys were trying to explain the benefits of the T-4, the only news was bad news about the 2 ton buses blowing engines and no one knew anything about them.

At the same time the guys in Europe putting them in bugs and the Käfer Cup races were amazing with T-4 engines. Even the major magazines wrote little about them. Every thing was T-1.

Corrected it for ya. That other word means something totally different.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite a but of good stuff but the guy makes me fall asleep.

Because it's not meant to be entertaining.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

See, Jake I still get you in Trouble. I posted your video, thanks!

You, Joe of Oregon Performance and i, could look back and feel good we did a good job back in the early 90's bringing the advantages of the T-4 to the T-1 unbelievers .

Never do I hear, the T-4 engine is only good for boat anchors.

Too much evidence to the contrary !!!
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
See, Jake I still get you in Trouble. I posted your video, thanks!

You, Joe of Oregon Performance and i, could look back and feel good we did a good job back in the early 90's bringing the advantages of the T-4 to the T-1 unbelievers .

Never do I hear, the T-4 engine is only good for boat anchors.

Too much evidence to the contrary !!!

It was a long, hard fight. It isn't over yet.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

lol yall be acting like a group of SJW's Laughing

I think T4's are less popular because,

A. Harder to find than T1's
B. LOTS more $ to buy and build a performance example. Even stock.
C. Only a direct fit to buses, porsches, and 411/412's.
D. Less aftermarket
E. Im guessing less were made as compared to late model T1's. Not sure tho.

Ive yet to see anyone state that T1's are better. Because theyre not. However, T4's just arent a reasonable choice for the average joe with average skills.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
lol yall be acting like a group of SJW's Laughing

I think T4's are less popular because,

A. Harder to find than T1's
B. LOTS more $ to buy and build a performance example. Even stock.
C. Only a direct fit to buses, porsches, and 411/412's.
D. Less aftermarket
E. Im guessing less were made as compared to late model T1's. Not sure tho.

Ive yet to see anyone state that T1's are better. Because theyre not. However, T4's just arent a reasonable choice for the average joe with average skills.

I mean no offense, but if you get Joe's book, you'll see it's really not all that difficult, at least not now, thanks to Joe's leg work. Jake is an example of someone who has worked to explore the extremes of the T4 and builds true performance engines that retain the longevity inherent in the T4 platform, and all of his experimentation is backed up by countless dyno runs. When someone uses a dyno to back up what they say, like Jake or Torbin, it's difficult to argue with their results.

I know the T1 can make tons of power, but to me, it becomes far more high strung than an equivalent T4, and simply cannot live as long. It's like buying 2 or 3 screw drivers at the autoparts store vs buying a high quality tool (not the greatest example in this day and age...but you get the idea). Also, it is possible to adapt the T4 relatively easily to, say, a Ghia or Beetle, and it will fit easily in those respective engine compartments.

H2OSB
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Please, Let me rephrase,

Chickensoup wrote:

Ive yet to see anyone state that T1's are better. Because theyre not.

The Average cheap ass vw enthusiast doesnt know a hammer from a socket wrench.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Please, Let me rephrase,

Chickensoup wrote:

I can't argue with that. That said, even a properly build T1 is out of the realm of the people you're referring to.

H2OSB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Please, Let me rephrase,

Chickensoup wrote:

Or a Pat Downs/Jake Raby built engine from a GEX.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Raby recent video --- T-4 2.0 vs 1.7 and 1.8 Reply with quote

I say pat and jake should have an engine build off.

Set a price limit of about $15K

type 1 build vs. type IV

highest horse power/ torque and a 100 mile drive with 45-50mph avg speed and then an hr drive in city traffic.

no changes to engines between dyno and drives.

winner gets the other guy's engine

Last edited by vwinnovator on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: