Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Engine is out! Feels good, and weird.
....Don't know what to start next. Transmission/engine separation? Rust-proofing the engine compartment? Installing those stainless steel collant lines?

You are now fully committed!

Since rad hoses will be disconnected, if rad still in place, possible to check flow? At least flush it out. Easy to check rad fan operation.

The clamshell provides a nice backrest but removing it may help facilitate long pipe install.

Start applying penetrating fluid.

IIRC, one user here had trouble separating an auto tranny that had been in place for some years. Penetrating fluid might help at that union? Never laid hands on one....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Bad news. Somebody here on the forum sent this thread's link to FAS, and I immediately got an email from Chris at FAS. He told me, upon seeing the picture of the debris in the coolant tank, that the coolant system was way too contaminated, and that I need to change heater cores and radiator.

First, thank you to the anonymous link-sharer, and thank you again to Chris for his reactivity and attention to detail. FAS has always been reactive to my emails, answering within a few hours, 24 max, and answered all of my questions so far.

But now I need to change the heater core, which means removing the dash, which means we won't be able to take the van for our Christmas Holiday vacation. That's a bummer, but it is what it is.
Also, I need to change the radiator, which is a Behr unit I installed exactly two years ago and has less than 10,000 km (6,000 mi) on it. Bummer again.

Not much left of the existing cooling system after that...

So tonight I'll be sourcing a good quality radiator, and reading the threads on heater cores that djkeev initiated.

I'm grateful this was caught early on, and not discovered on the side of the road one day, when the water pump of the brand new engine inexpectedly gives up!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
But now I need to change the heater core, which means removing the dash, ...

If removing the dash by yourself....

This was on an '81 but should work the same on other year Vanagons.

I put the hook end of a strap in vent hole at top RH end of dash, ran strap through grab handle, hoisted that end of dash a bit, secured strap at handle. This allowed me to more easily and safely guide the driver side end up and away from the brake fluid reservoir.

It's possible there's a slight risk of the hook coming loose but likely not.

Doing this job solo, I find there's a tendency for the dash to bump the brake fluid reservoir. Using this method helps avoid that.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Neil for the tip. Saw your pic in another thread, I'll give it a shot.

Meanwhile, some progress has been made:

Fiirewall insulation inspected: no rust at all underneath. The foam is old but still holding together nicely. I'll keep it in place. I'll just treat the rusted retainers and paint them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Met a friend while admiring the surface rust. I'll treat the rust, prime, paint.

This thing (accelerator cable socket on the transmission) is a pain. It is recommended to have a spare throttle cable in the van just in case, but I have no idea how I would remove this ball from its socket on the side of the road. Now it's on my bench, I'll use a Dremel.

Removed the plastic coolant lines and put the stainless steel ones. Dropped the fuel tank an inch or two (could not drop more, the filler tube was hitting on the bottom of the hole, and the handbrake cable, which runs over the crossover fuel line, was putting some tension on the latter.

Adjusting the two tubes properly in place was a pain in the %&^&%

Today was Tranny Day, so I set it free:

It's shedding a tear as it's saying goodbye to its friend of 30+years. Back when they first met, Germany was still divided in two...

Fabrication of a seal remover tool, reference number VW-IKEA-SEAL

Yup, I think the ATF leak was indeed coming from the torque converter seal. Yuk. I'll be putting in two seals.

Anything else to check on the transmission while it's out in the open?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You can flush out A two year old radiator with a mild soap solution amd hot water, fill and sit, fill and sit, fill and sit.

If it flushes clean it’s good to go

Same with the heater core.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Careful with that AT linkage, the arm is unobtainium. Vanagain had some but I tried to order a spare after having to get a replacement because I butchered mine in your same situation, out of stock, fortunate I got the replacement I did.

Really enjoying your thread.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You're welcome. A single person can remove the dash but the rope trick just made it easier to control dash movement. I left that side top vent loosely in place to allow hook insertion but removing-reinstalling that passenger side vent was easy on my '81 and likely same for later model year Vanagons. I'll find out soon enough. Wink

I bet a new ball-socket could be found online. McMaster? Swage that to a manual tranny cable? Or, buy something like this?

https://www.efihardware.com/products/1822/cable-end-to-ball-socket-heavy-duty

Watching with interest.

Neil.

VicVan wrote:
Thanks Neil for the tip. Saw your pic in another thread, I'll give it a shot.

This thing (accelerator cable socket on the transmission) is a pain. It is recommended to have a spare throttle cable in the van just in case, but I have no idea how I would remove this ball from its socket on the side of the road. Now it's on my bench, I'll use a Dremel.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the linkage arm. I started prying the thing with a hammer, but thought of the Dremel and stopped.

Re the socket, I have a new accelerator cable to install and it has a socket on it.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Yesterday was the scheduled delivery date for the crate, as per Fedex tracking system. It got updated to "not happening - who knows when it will"

I don't like it.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I use FedEx alot for my business. A couple of days ago the site said out for delivery on a part I ordered, then later that day it said in transit and no delivery 0time. The item showed up the next day.. Take the FedEx site with a grain of salt.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
I use FedEx alot for my business. A couple of days ago the site said out for delivery on a part I ordered, then later that day it said in transit and no delivery 0time. The item showed up the next day.. Take the FedEx site with a grain of salt.

Fair enough. I'll wait until next week to call the destination warehouse to see whether they've received it or not.
In any case, let's not forget that's first world problems Wink
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

Take with a HUGE grain of salt these days. I haven't had too much difficulty in actually getting orders, but the accuracy of the tracking has been pretty abysmal lately. It's a tough business these days, so not complaining, but I just find it odd that the delivery can be more accurate than the tracking - not sure how that's feasible with the scan-in/scan-out tech used. Welcome to the brave new world...
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

New torque converter seals installed. Spring facing the transaxle (i.e. towards front of van), two seals. This is my fisrt time doing this, how does this all look?

Torque converter bushing shows no sign of scratches or scoring:

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

you want the steel TQ seal unless you want the one in there to pop out

pretty well known issue. do a quick search....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7946148#7946148

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Skills
I thought doubling them would alleviate the issue, but clearly not!
I just ordered one at Napa.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

All I wanted to do was change the engine... And here I am, contemplating the lubrification of the wiper shafts... Laughing

Does one need to remove the wiper motor and linkage from the body to lube them or can it be done in place? What kind of grease would you recommend?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You want to pull the assembly and disassemble, clean and polish the posts. I use Bosch distributor grease.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Time for an update.

Removed and replaced the radiator, Behr/Mahle South-African unit from Werke1/GoWesty:

Rigged a Reflectix heat shield in the meantime:
(more pictures of this here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9770829#9770829)

Heater box: rebuilt with GoWesty heater core, lube tube, Jeep resistor, new foam on all flaps:
(more pictures of this here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9770824#9770824)

Sound dampening (Fatmax, bought at GW a few years ago) on the nose/front panel:

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You've been busy. It's f'ing cold out now.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Yup. I was out yesterday evening to install the wiper shafts and grommets. My fingers were cold enough...

Good news: Engine has arrived in Victoria. I have very little free time during the holidays, so I'll leave the crate in Seawing's safe and warm warehouse for now. I'll retrieve it early January for the final leg of the project!

Also, I’ve reached the tipping point. I am officially starting to put things back together. Old stuff has been removed, broken stuff has been replaced, unsatisfactory stuff has been improved. Now, new and improved stuff is going in. It starts with the wiper shaft grommets, it should end with the new ECU connector or something.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: