Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home security system
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Home security system Reply with quote

Well, after a recent home breakin and car theft. I decided to get myself a home security system.

I chose the SimpliSafe system. You know the ones advertised on tv.
"Hanging with Robert, retired bugler and handyman!"

The SimpliSafe system is easy to install and works fantastic. It's been a week, since the install and I haven't managed to set off a false alarm yet.

Today I added a doorbell cam. My home didn't have a doorbell. So I needed to buy a transformer with an output of 16-24 vlts.
I drilled a hole through the wall next to the front door and fished the power supply cable through the wall.
Secured the cam base to the wall and made up the wiring connections.

I powered up the cam and added it to my already installed system.
Now I can see what's going on in my front yard while away from home. Via the phone app.

If your looking for a security system that you can install yourself. I recommend the SimpliSafe system.
You can choose to monitor the system yourself or pay for a monthly professional monitoring service. <--- I chose this!

I have no affiliation with SimpliSafe. I just like the ease of the system installation and the controls, either from a keypad in the house, a phone app, and a keyfob off, home, and away single button push.

What you ya'll like for a security system?
Before anyone say's guns. They don't do shit, when you are away from home!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

1) Big dog with good hearing.
2) Motion-sensitive yard lights.
3) Camera system like yours/Arlo/etc.
4) Attentive neighbors.
5) Neighbors with easier-looking targets.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

Sure do miss my rescue dog. In her prime, she was 85 pounds of overprotective bad attitude.
Does the camera store video anywhere? The cops will ned it when they show up and more of your shit is gone.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Sure do miss my rescue dog. In her prime, she was 85 pounds of overprotective bad attitude.
Does the camera store video anywhere? The cops will ned it when they show up and more of your shit is gone.

Some do, usually like Arlo save it online for a week free, longer if you pay more. And you can save it to your hard disk (or phone) any time during the week.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

What you ya'll like for a security system?
Before anyone say's guns. They don't do shit, when you are away from home!

neither do security systems. they know how much time they have before anyone rolls up on them.

dogs are usually the best. even better would be actually punishing the crooks, like chopping off a couple of fingers instead of catch and release. or just beat them with a hammer

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

I’m going to give you a choice ..

The Subaru and the Hammer or you just drive out of here…you can’t have both.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

I use a savage French Bulldog with a terrible attitude Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Haven't felt the need for one yet. I guess I am lucky. My shop and storage shed is never locked and most of the time my house isn't either.

Someday that might change but right now its a very safe place to live.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

All very good suggestions. Perhaps the easiest and cheapest though is to be on speaking terms with neighbors. We’ve got multiple cameras and ring doorbells blanketing the neighborhood from different angles, there’s only one way in and out. Several retired law enforcement people who seem to notice things, dog walkers and one Mrs. Cravitz. Our Mrs. Cravitz appears as a guy in his 70s that wanders the neighborhood for hours just talking to whoever on a perpetual mission of bullshiting and small talk. He’s also the guy who will gather your mail and packages while you’re away, I’ve known him 20 years.

Some are getting older and one died a few weeks ago. But seriously just keep an eye on things. Sit on the front porch and drink a beer with the guy from down the street. We are the kind of neighbors that help the older folks with leaf removal and minor chores.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

A dog would be great. Sadly, I rent. Also, since I'm away from home Monday through Friday for 11 hours,
It would be cruel to leave a dog alone all that time. I just can't bring myself to be that person.

The Security system only records to the cloud with battery backup. So there's always a record of what the cams are seeing. I can review the recordings on my phone anytime. I can also view a cam at will, by accessing the system with my phone.

Regarding the neighbor relationships. We have a text group setup. They were the third call/message I reached out to when the house was broken into. Of the three that were home. None of them were within ear shot of my house.
My house is hidden away from they're clear view. So no one saw/heard anything.
None of the neighbors have security cams on their properties. Sad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

check legality:

https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm

a friend of mine uses them and turned me on to them.

he was having problems with people breaking into his barn that was on the same property, just out of the sightline of the house unless you were upstairs.

true story...

so some fool tries to break into his barn. he hears the boom, and runs out to the barn. door jimmied open but no one around. he hears tires screech and a bunch of yelling.

dude runs out of the woods on to a "main road" (when i say main road, you can literally play a game of cards before you see a car go by)

he goes to investigate. local cop and would be thief. guy said he was "being shot at" and my buddy explains the situation. anyway some time goes by, and another cop pulls up and hands the first cop a plastic cover. evidently the thief shit himself when the blank went off Laughing

in the end it turned out to be the same guy that stole a bunch of tools before and he got connected to more burglaries in the area

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Also, since I'm away from home Monday through Friday for 11 hours, It would be cruel to leave a dog alone all that time.

Shocked This is good information. Great to know when I want pick up a few things without you being home. TMI brother d'oh!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

how about a trunk monkey... Laughing

Link

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

A big dog that barks at people is what we have. Everyone knows he is there and avoids the house and yard. You wouldn’t know he is a very friendly dog.

I did read an insurance industry sponsored study that interviewed criminals and dogs were the biggest deterrent to them. They said even if they just saw evidence of a dog and not the actual dog they would still avoid the house. Their recommendation was to buy big dog bowls, toys and bones that would be typical of a large bog breed and scatter the materials around the yard and house, no dog required. Extra detail add beware of dog signs.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

+1000

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

I would love to have a "trunk Monkey" They are not very forgiving.

The blank shot shell idea would work great. In the country.
Residential neighborhood? It would not be very well received.

I like the faux dog idea. Maybe when my grandkids Lab gets big enough, I can borrow her for a weekend to shit in my backyard and chew a cow's femur. Then I can fasten a shoe to the chewed bone and leave it out in the front drive.

Xevin come by anytime and take what you want.
No one ever accused me of, being the brightest bulb in the Christmas string.
Location updated.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

Removed because someone didn’t like the picture. Your loss not mine.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

Cane Corsa are big & a bit scary, but not as smart as these guys:

German Shepherds are the second smartest dogs to train, I'd get one & get someone to come by mid-day & walk them, well worth the $$ spent on a dog walker, NO ONE is coming in your place when they see or hear that Shephard bark....

We also have a camera system; I can back it up/ fast forward to see if anyone has come into our yard, 4 cameras that cover a wide range of my property.
Plus, when we are home, plenty of firearms.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

I am not necessarily counting on a dog to tackle the perp, just to make enough noise it wakes me so I can. On the other hand, if the dog is big enough to keep them distracted, I can do my job better...
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Home security system Reply with quote

!.Akita
2.Malamute
3.Personal Protection Belgian Malinois
4.Surveillance w/ motion detection
5.Alarm
6.Tons of firepower
7.Wife that can shoot
8.Me

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: