Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel bearing and wheel questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearing and wheel questions Reply with quote

I have just bought a kit car (Crawford Thing, based on the EMPI Sportster), that the paperwork calls a 1967 "SD" bug. The design uses the pan and running gear, with a sheet metal body.

I've already determined that it was built from a couple of different years' worth of parts (the engine has an AE code, working the numbers tells me it was made in 1971).

I need to replace the LR wheel bearing and seal. I got started, then realized that the front wheels are 4-lug, the rear are 5-lug (swing axle).

Thus, the first question: What year did they change from 5 to 4?

The next question: Is there any positive way to determine which year the rear axle is from, so that I get the right bearings and seals? I got a set of these from the FO, and I'm guessing that he ordered them for a '67. Before I tear this the rest of the way apart, I want to have the right parts to reassemble.

Third question: I've heard that its a Really Obnoxious Situation to let the rear axle move outward from the trans -- is there a retainer of some kind that I should get, to keep this from happening?

Fourth question: Can someone point me to a How-To for pulling and replacing the bearings and seals?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearking and wheel questions Reply with quote

Thing #6 wrote:
I have just bought a kit car (Crawford Thing, based on the EMPI Sportster), that the paperwork calls a 1967 "SD" bug. The design uses the pan and running gear, with a sheet metal body.

I've already determined that it was built from a couple of different years' worth of parts (the engine has an AE code, working the numbers tells me it was made in 1971).

I need to replace the LR wheel bearing and seal. I got started, then realized that the front wheels are 4-lug, the rear are 5-lug (swing axle).

Thus, the first question: What year did they change from 5 to 4? Starting in 68 4 lug.

The next question: Is there any positive way to determine which year the rear axle is from, so that I get the right bearings and seals? I got a set of these from the FO, and I'm guessing that he ordered them for a '67. Before I tear this the rest of the way apart, I want to have the right parts to reassemble. 67-68 Axle bearings are the same.

Third question: I've heard that its a Really Obnoxious Situation to let the rear axle move outward from the trans -- is there a retainer of some kind that I should get, to keep this from happening? The axle should not move far enough out to cause an issue. There is a circlip holding the axle in the trans side gears.

Fourth question: Can someone point me to a How-To for pulling and replacing the bearings and seals?This one is a bitch! There is a special tool $400+ to pull rear axle bearings.
Others here can explain how they do their bearing swaps.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearking and wheel questions Reply with quote

Thanks!

I got the wheel end taken apart, and the bearings look good and roll smoothly Oil seal was history, but it seems that the FO was being overly cautious when reporting a bad bearing.

I have a new seal on the way, and will reassemble everything then check for too much play, grinding, etc.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearking and wheel questions Reply with quote

Ok, now . . .

All of the exploded drawings that I see of the rear swing axle show a single "square" paper seal.

My seal kits each came with TWO paper seals.

Am I missing something here?

What do I do with the second seal?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearking and wheel questions Reply with quote

Save it for a rainy day! Very Happy

The kits come with the extra paper gaskets for other applications.

Kinda like carb rebuild kits that fit many different carbs.
Just pick out the parts you need and ignore the rest.

EDIT: Or you can hang onto the gasket. Someday there will be a poster here that needs one. Mail it to them free of cost. I do! It creates good Karma with the VW family here. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearking and wheel questions Reply with quote

Cool! I was hoping that it was just a spare, so now I can do the work this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: