Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAF vs. ACU engine
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

I'm looking at possibly buying an imported (already titled) 1994 T4 that has a 2.5L inline five-cylinder (gasoline), which I think is an AAF engine. Aside all the normal import-related caveats, I don't know much about the inline five-cylinders. Were both the ACU and AAF engines imported to the United States in the 1993-1997 time period? Any advantages of one over the other? Are they used on any other VAG vehicles? (I'm guessing they are, but am not certain at all.)

On the T4 platform, I'm coming from only owning vans with the VR6 24V engine. Anything else I should know about re: the 5-cylinder vans, other than lower horsepower and torgue? (Note: this van in question also has an automatic transmission.)

Thanks for any and all info!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

AAF was on 94 and previous model year. 95 is the only MY with ACU from what I understand in the US. ACU had added emission stuff and is bit more complex in diagnostics and repairs related to the engine control and management. Mechanically both are bullet proof from what I understand. As for the power difference between the two, there is no difference. Compression was higher on ACU, but it didn't add any power.

As for the use in other vehicles, there were no other ACU in any other vehicles in the US. It is my understanding that it was used specifically for the Eurovan application for its low end torque.

If you are comparing to a VR6, then a 5 cylinder eurovan will feel like driving a snail. I have a camper, and the added weight makes it worse.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading that the ACU had a better exhaust manifold design

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

Yes the manifold is better on the ACU. It’s a tubular header and the Downpipe is a 2 pipe into one. The AAF is a cast iron and is prone to crack with the most common failure is the bellow between 2-3 cylinder. The engines are like tractor engines and mechanically take some abuse. One thing that is a weak spot is no knock sensors on the AAF, so if you high load the engine in heat with 87 you could cause some damage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the info (and pictures!) guys -- very helpful! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fulvia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

did you buy it?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

No, I ended up passing on this one.
Danilot4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

Hi guys I am now on this forum. I have t4 2.5L aaf and my exhaust is noisy but i cant locate the sorce of noice(where the exhaust is broken). It sounds that is somewhere close to manifold but it is so hard to reach there. Is this part betven 2. And 3. Cilindar on exhaust manifold prone to failure? I took a picture somehow with my phone and it looks like there is something black behind that metal cover.
My question is: is the only way to get to the exhaust manifold by taking off intake manifold? And is it posible to fix that part or i have to find a new one?

CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

Danilot4,

Check out this informative post. IN your photo, your heat shield is still in place on the exhaust manifold. In BateEV's post you can view what the exhaust manifold looks like minus the cover. I would wager you have a crack in the 1-2-3 piece. I've seen countless units with this issue. Some have claimed success with welding but be aware it's cast iron and welding this is a dying artform. I'm sure this piece is NLA from VW. The ACU exhaust manifold is a nice upgrade and far less failure prone.

BatesEV wrote:
Yes the manifold is better on the ACU. It’s a tubular header and the Downpipe is a 2 pipe into one. The AAF is a cast iron and is prone to crack with the most common failure is the bellow between 2-3 cylinder. The engines are like tractor engines and mechanically take some abuse. One thing that is a weak spot is no knock sensors on the AAF, so if you high load the engine in heat with 87 you could cause some damage.

Danilot4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

Thank you on info! It was very helpful 🙂
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Danilot4,
Some have claimed success with welding but be aware it's cast iron and welding this is a dying artform.

The AAF Exhaust manifold is cast stainless. The fixes I’ve seen are to grind out the crack and weld in the dug out seam.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

But to weld any cast correctly you have to heat it with a torch to get the metal hot, weld, then burry in sand to cool it slowly. It requires a feel to know when to stop heating and what rods to use as a filler on what settings.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: AAF vs. ACU engine Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Danilot4,
Some have claimed success with welding but be aware it's cast iron and welding this is a dying artform.

The AAF Exhaust manifold is cast stainless. The fixes I’ve seen are to grind out the crack and weld in the dug out seam.

What is cast stainless? Probably some kinda cast iron with a lot of nickel in it? Might be, they do get reddish but seem to not have very much rust present.
I have a welding shop in central Iowa that is the very best at welding cast, mostly cylinder heads. He says probably $100-200 range. I've been to his previous shop, they put them in a natural gas fired furnace, covered with moveable plates when red hot they stop the furnace, open an access and used oxy-acetylene torch to weld in using strips of similar cast filler rod. Head it agan then let it cool for a day. Cylinder heads then need to have surfaces ground/ trued. I can't imagine this 3 cylinder long part could be warped much that one couldn't fix it with sandpaper on a piece of glass in minutes.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: