Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

RedSquare wrote:
Happy to help. If you look back through the thread, you’ll see that I had to iterate a couple of times to get the net color about right. Too green at first, so pull the bulb and add more black. Then too black, so went back with a smidge more green. Would like to hear from you when you are done and see a pic to see how yours turned out.

Will do!! I'll definitely give an update.

I'm also going install the ISP. Oil temperature gauge along with the oil pressure gauges, I don't see any thread on those so I plan to upload some images to hopefully helo anyone out there maybe installing those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

Found this, maybe it's helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Colors-Vibrant-Glasse...s9dHJ1ZQ==
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

After installing my tach, i decided to try the sharpie route to color the bulb. I noticed the wife's Sharpie set had several shades of green.

This one looks like it might be a good match.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It sure looks like it matches the plastic lens on the original gauges.

Result? Perfect match! No need to mix colors. Don't lay on the Sharpie too thick because it wont match, it'll be too green. A thin layer gives you a perfect match.

Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

how does it look at night ???????????? can you do us a night time pic ????
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same question as Peters Van - what does it look like at night when lit up next to the stock gauges? Would be nice if you don’t have to mix colors like I did. At the end of the day, mixing colors wasn’t that hard, but this would be simpler, and simpler is better.

Is there any other text on that sharpie? Like a color name or a model number or something like that so that someone who wanted to could order just that one straight off of Amazon? Or I suppose someone could go down to the local art supply store and buy it too.

Can you do a pic of the gauges at night?
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

The Sharpie marker has no identifying text.

As for how it looks at night, the tach is definitely brighter than the rest of the gauges even though the light color is the same.

So in an attempt to "shield" the bulb a little, I added a little heat shrink tubing to the bulb.

Much closer now. It actually matches much better in person than what the pics show.

Unfortunately, I think think we'll ever get a perfect match because even though the colors are similar, they do not behave the same to light. Here's a pic with the camera flash on.

In the end, like someone mentioned earlier, I'm just glad we have a tach for Type 3s.
gheezerghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

RedSquare What bulbs are you using in your gauges cause they are a lot brighter than my gauges! LED? Thanks
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP West Tachometer - Light Color Very Different Than Stock Reply with quote

Nope - not LEDs in mine. Just stock el-cheapo incandescent bulbs. Maybe they just looked brighter in my photos due to some quirk of how I took them? I took those in the garage at night with the garage lights off if that matters.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: