Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Ok folks, I'm reaching out for some super powers or dynamite!

On the 63 Ghia I'm building I installed the front disk brake kit and installed all new brake lines and a new Master Cylinder.

Issue: Bleeding the brakes:

We get straight fluid out of each side after bleeding so no air in the lines and the lines and no visible leaks. I feel pressure at the peddle when pumping but the peddle still goes straight to the floor and when pumping pressure builds like there is air in the lines but bleeding there's no more air bubbles.

I'm at a loss, but there is a leak at the fluid reservoir at the top where the lines connect which I will fix but there is solid fluid and no bubbles going into the master cylinder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Any suggestions?

If your calipers have 2 bleed valves, try bleeding just the top ones. Also, make sure the car sits level while bleeding the brakes.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
Any suggestions?

If your calipers have 2 bleed valves, try bleeding just the top ones. Also, make sure the car sits level while bleeding the brakes.

My calipers don't have two values but I do have bolts I can plug the line in the master cylinder that goes to the rear brakes:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

This can be a tricky process....
A few suggestions:
bleed all 4 corners, start with the corner furthest from the master cylinder, also jacking the rear of the car can help get the back brakes done. then....
give the pedal a few good hard pumps, you want to get the pistons out to where they push on the pad and the disk
Sometime tapping the caliper with a mallet can help the bubbles come to the top and get out.
sometimes letting it sit over night the bubbles come together and bleed much easier the next day.
I like to use a pressure bleeder to get the fluid flowing through the system.
good luck and let us know what worked for you
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
Any suggestions?

My calipers don't have two values but I do have bolts I can plug the line in the master cylinder that goes to the rear brakes:)
Are the 2 bleeder valves set at the top of the calipers? If the calipers are reversed left to right, and bleeders at the bottom, you will never get the air out.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Are you using a single circuit MC, or did you convert to dual circuit?

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

Single
I've used this kit before It's on another Karmann Ghia I built and it worked just fine without any issues. I did try using the big bore master that came with the kit but that was a bad master cylinder for sure and sent it back for replacement so went back to stock that I have known to work in the past.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

Would you suggest a duel circuit MC? If so any particular brand?

Thanks!
Lee
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

If there is a leak, like you said at the reservoir. Then, the system is sucking air from the leak. Fix the leak, then bleed the entire system starting from the right rear, left rear, right front and lastly left front.

If the problem still exists, then check the hose the goes from the reservoir to the master cylinder. The hose can become porous overtime and suck air into the system. Even if the hose appears to look good.

I normally do what is called a reverse bleed. Meaning I push the fluid from the caliper or wheel cylinder into master cylinder then reservoir using a bleeder tool. Then, using the same tool, pull the fluid out of the caliper/wheel cylinder. Of course you can use the old school pump the brake pedal method.

Steve

I forgot to mention, normally when switching from drum brakes to disc you need a bigger master cylinder (ie dual circuit) to provide enough pressure to apply the brakes.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:
If there is a leak, like you said at the reservoir. Then, the system is sucking air from the leak. Fix the leak, then bleed the entire system starting from the right rear, left rear, right front and lastly left front.

If the problem still exists, then check the hose the goes from the reservoir to the master cylinder. The hose can become porous overtime and suck air into the system. Even if the hose appears to look good.

I normally do what is called a reverse bleed. Meaning I push the fluid from the caliper or wheel cylinder into master cylinder then reservoir using a bleeder tool. Then, using the same tool, pull the fluid out of the caliper/wheel cylinder. Of course you can use the old school pump the brake pedal method.

Steve

I forgot to mention, normally when switching from drum brakes to disc you need a bigger master cylinder (ie dual circuit) to provide enough pressure to apply the brakes.

Thank you, I'll fix he leak at the reservoir then do as you suggested.

What special tool do you use to do that fancy reverse bleed? We have been using the old school method..pump pump pump open/close then repeat.

The Empi kit is the same kit I used on my 60 Ghia and just used the original Master but this time the kit came with a fancy Big Bore master cylinder which was junk so I put a new original style single circuit on.

If I were to switch from the single circuit, do they have the same hole patterns? What brand would you recommend and would I look for a 68 Ghia Master cylinder or a different year to get the correct one?

Thanks for the tips!

Lee
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Try bleeding from the closest wheel and work your way to the back.
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
LVGhia72 wrote:

Steve

What special tool do you use to do that fancy reverse bleed? We have been using the old school method..pump pump pump open/close then repeat.

The Empi kit is the same kit I used on my 60 Ghia and just used the original Master but this time the kit came with a fancy Big Bore master cylinder which was junk so I put a new original style single circuit on.

If I were to switch from the single circuit, do they have the same hole patterns? What brand would you recommend and would I look for a 68 Ghia Master cylinder or a different year to get the correct one?

Thanks for the tips!

Lee

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
This is what I use. There are other versions etc..But this works great and I've used it on other vehicles. No problem's. Can get a little messy.

I don't have a recommendation as far the master cylinder is concerned. Except I know they recommend a dual circuit when going to disc from drum brakes. It's about brake bias/proportional brake pressure front vs rear. Simple meaning you don't want the brakes to lock up or not work because of too much pressure or lack of pressure.

Steve
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

you should use any 67+ Ghia or Beetle MC for the disc/drum combo.
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-113-611-015-bdgr/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
LVGhia72 wrote:

Steve

Thanks for the tips!

Lee

This is what I use. There are other versions etc..But this works great and I've used it on other vehicles. No problem's. Can get a little messy.

I don't have a recommendation as far the master cylinder is concerned. Except I know they recommend a dual circuit when going to disc from drum brakes. It's about brake bias/proportional brake pressure front vs rear. Simple meaning you don't want the brakes to lock up or not work because of too much pressure or lack of pressure.

Steve

Interesting option, I may have to try it.

Here is the MC that came with the Disc Kit, but so far two of them have been bad and have another replacement on the way. Supposedly these are larger so to handle the disc brakes. But for the reason I've listed is why I went back to a stock MC but if I can't get this thing to bleed and function, I'll probably end up doing a conversion to the duel circuit and try that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046VU7T8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

You could use this reservoir with a dual circuit master cylinder

It sits on top of the master cylinder. Get's rid of hoses and pipes.

Steve
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:

Steve

I like that Idea Steve! How do you remove the plastic valves in the MC w/out damaging the rubber to replace with the reservoir?

Thank you!

Lee
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
LVGhia72 wrote:

Steve

I like that Idea Steve! How do you remove the plastic valves in the MC w/out damaging the rubber to replace with the reservoir?

Thank you!

Lee
I was concerned about that at the time. I just pulled them out of the rubber grommets. No problem. If there tight in the grommet, you could carefully use a small screwdriver to pry them out. If their dry rotted, then of course replace. Brake fluid keeps them lubricated though.

Steve
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:

Steve

What I dislike with these is the inaccessibility.
If you need to check/add fluid, it’s a PITA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
LVGhia72 wrote:

Steve

What I dislike with these is the inaccessibility.
If you need to check/add fluid, it’s a PITA.

I can see that being an issue but I'm repainting this 63 Ghia and if you have ever seen what brake fluid does to paint when leaking, it's pretty bad. So I think I'd be ok dealing the the hassle lol

Right now the body is off the frame so super easy to do the work and get it done before marrying the two back together Smile
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Master C and Brake Bleeding Help Needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

I can see that being an issue but I'm repainting this 63 Ghia and if you have ever seen what brake fluid does to paint when leaking, it's pretty bad. So I think I'd be ok dealing the the hassle lol

Right now the body is off the frame so super easy to do the work and get it done before marrying the two back together Smile

That's exactly the reason I went with one of these as well on the 66 I'm building.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: