Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electrical shopping list!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onespeedpaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

Hi, getting the electrical for my buggy build in order....

so far I have a new rebel harness and magnaspark 2 RTR distributor kit, that is all.

anything else to add to this list:

head/tail/turns lighting

keyed ignition switch,

starter relay,

brake pressure switch

hi/lo switch

headlight relay

signal stalk

oil pressure sender

reman alternator (voltage regulator/rectifier is built into the alternator yes?)

reman starter

reman wiper motor

battery and battery cables
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

onespeedpaul wrote:
Hi, getting the electrical for my buggy build in order....

so far I have a new rebel harness and magnaspark 2 RTR distributor kit, that is all.

anything else to add to this list:

head/tail/turns lighting

keyed ignition switch,

starter relay, NOT REQUIRED.

brake pressure switch

hi/lo switch

headlight relay

signal stalk

oil pressure sender

reman alternator (voltage regulator/rectifier is built into the alternator yes?)...YES!

reman starter SR-17

reman wiper motor

battery and battery cables

Really good wire strippers.

Really good RATCHET type crimpers (most important thing of all) ...

Lots of ZIP ties.

Heat shrink tubing.

Heat gun.

And deep pocket for things missed, and if you scrimp on project you will regret it...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

Depending on the Rebel kit....a LOT of grounding wire
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Depending on the Rebel kit....a LOT of grounding wire

Ditto... Any thing mounted of fiberglass will need added ground wire...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Really good wire strippers.

Really good RATCHET type crimpers (most important thing of all) ...

Lots of ZIP ties.

Heat shrink tubing.

Heat gun.

And deep pocket for things missed, and if you scrimp on project you will regret it...

If you want to use insulated terminals there is no substitute for a good ratchet crimper. I recommend a good name brand, there are plenty of cheap ones that kinda work out there. It will crimp the terminal and the insulation in one step and get it tight with ease. I use bare terminals and heat shrink tubing for my connections as I prefer the appearance. I've had good luck crimping non-insulated terminals with the Klein Tools 1005 crimper. This is a case of accept no substitutes, too many cheap options just like with the ratchet crimpers.

I would emphasize LOTS of zip ties in various sizes. Some you will put on just to cut off later as a way to route the wires neatly. I have dollar store white ones I mostly use as temporaries and good quality black ones for the finish.

I recommend an assortment of clamps for routing and protection of the wiring. I use some of the 1 inch square plastic self adhesive clamps for some things. I use the split type cable clamps that are bolted on for other things.

I recommend some split loom in various diameters to bundle wires together. The spiral wound stuff can also work but if you need into a bundle in the future it is a PITA. The same is true, even more so, with the non-split loom.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

I like the way you think EVfun. As an electrician for all of my adult life I have grown very fond of uninsulated terminals. NOTHING will crimp one of them like the 1005 Klein. It just works. It's not recommended for insulated connectors but it just crushes the bare ones.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: electrical shopping list! Reply with quote

Head light High beam indicator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: