Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I remove the spedometer in a 74?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGdaddy1102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: How do I remove the spedometer in a 74? Reply with quote

title pleease.
GreaseC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272809&highlight=remove+speedo

not sure if there is a big difference in SB years, im a standard beetle man myself
realbugfanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a standard, follow the previous directions per GreaseC's link.

If it's a Super, you push it out the front. It has a ribbed rubber ring around the outside & you have to unhook the speedo cable first. It's been posted on here before, but the Reader's Digest version is:

1) Unhook your battery - terminal. Do this in case you accidentally cross some wires when removing your speedo.
2) Take off the trim panel that runs below the speedo across the top of the steering column. A couple trim pieces pry off of the ends & now just remove the screws.
3) Use this newly found access hole to reach in & unscrew your speedo cable. You CAN do this without step 2, but it's darn near impossible for anyone that has hands larger than a 5 yr old!
4) Through this same hole get your left hand up behind the speedo & push it out towards you while trying to wiggle it & pull on the face with your right hand. Be careful not to unhook any wires or you'll be posting a 'where does this wire go' topic - been there.
minimeadow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the spedometer in a 74? Reply with quote

Just did this on my '73 Super - I was able to reach the spedometer cable and unscrew it from underneath the dash, so try that as well.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the spedometer in a 74? Reply with quote

If it’s a 1973-on curved windshield, you simply remove the dash plate, then stick your hand in and unscrew the speedometer cable.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the spedometer in a 74? Reply with quote

Didn't need to even do that on mine, just reach underneath.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: