Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 Convertible project
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got a great deal on a 61 Convertible. Had a small fire in one of the Kadron air cleaners that burned the engine wiring harness.
I’m pulling the motor to clean up a few things and to make it easier to replace the wires.

Needs thermostat, flaps, cylinder tins, heater boxes, and new air filters. I’ll replace oil cooler seals and main seal too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Careful with the heater boxes (HB). The '61 40 hp engine was a stale air, and the lower edge of the engine firewall came down like on 36 hp engines so that if you try to install the later engine with HB, the tops of the HB will hit the bottoms of the firewall. Trick to this is to install the engine without the HB, then fit them once the engine is in. To do this, you must make sure that your 4 exhaust studs on the front of the heads have their threads in good shape (M8 x 1.25 die), and you'll need a sideways-curved wrench to reach the upper HB nut on the right side. There's not enough room to swing a conventional wrench between the underside of the luggage floor, the HB and the starter. "Maybe" a ratcheting stubby wrench; worth a try.

When VW changed to fresh air heating on the 40 hp during the late '62 model year, the firewall bottom edge was raised in the outer corners so that the engine with HB attached could be removed for repairs.

Will you be able to match the red paint to patch the rust on the driver's side headlamp?

Looks like you have 1970 seats with the narrow headrests, which is the only year with that headrest style that fits onto the '61's floor rails.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Thanks for that information Rome. I’ll watch out for that when I install the heater boxes.
It turns out that there was massive end play in the engine.
I pulled the fly wheel off and I could move the bearing with my finger. I decided it was time to build an engine for this car. I had a good block on my workbench and practically everything else to build a fresh 1600.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

The canvas convertible top was leaking as the previous owner and parked the car under another car on a lift and it leaked oil. The oil degraded the butyl rubber in the canvas top and it was no longer watertight.
I’ve replaced convertible tops on other late model Beetles but never an early model.

Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

I had to deal with those hideous tail lights. I know some people like those but I really want the 61 to look like a 61.
I had to weld up the huge holes left when I pulled the teardrops out.
My son had a decent set of snowflakes so we decided they belong on this car.
I converted them to LED so they’d be a little more visible.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Good choice to replace those teardrops.

Careful with the placement of the snowflakes- in your mock-up photo above, they look several inches too high. Here's a good reference shot of correct placement (Stock Steve's '60 with original rear fenders). As a visual guideline I use the outward kink of the fenders' mounting flanges as 2 level points to make a horizontal line going across the car. Use that line to line up the taillamps. On Steve's that horizontal reference line appears to bisect the taillamp lenses about an inch or two down from the top.

I also learned a few months ago that the Cabrio's rear window was enlarged for the '63 model year per width and height, by 1/3. The larger size "appears" to correspond to the one on yours.

Very ambitious to renew the top cover yourself!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Oh, this car is a Frankenstein bastard. Not many original parts on it. I have no intention of trying to make it original. Just building a fun driver.
The tops not original, nor are the seats, engine, transaxle, deck lid, hood or even the wiring.
Eventually I’ll have disc brakes, low back seats and a modern stereo in it. I’ve wanted an early model convertible Cal-looker since I started in the hobby forty years ago.
Making changes to this bastard won’t upset any purists out there.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

installed some Porsche style headlight covers. Used split vacuum line to replace the gasket that was missing.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Nice work on the taillights, looks much better! I've always hated those teardrop lights on bugs.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

I’ll post my goals for this year concerning the 61 convertible

Dual circuit master cylinder upgrade and replace all the brake lines.
Front disc brakes.
Cut down the 1970ish high backs and reupholster the interior.
Replace the Swiss cheese front fenders and refresh the paint.
Replace the J-tubes with real heater boxes and get some heat and defrost.
Fatter rear tires and wheels.
Finish installing my stereo.

Seems like a doable list.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Convertible project Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I’ll post my goals for this year concerning the 61 convertible

Dual circuit master cylinder upgrade and replace all the brake lines.
Front disc brakes.
Cut down the 1970ish high backs and reupholster the interior.
Replace the Swiss cheese front fenders and refresh the paint.
Replace the J-tubes with real heater boxes and get some heat and defrost.
Fatter rear tires and wheels.
Finish installing my stereo.

Seems like a doable list.

RAD!
Looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: