Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greetings from Maryland, USA
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDIDavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am David from Maryland (USA) and this is my first post at TheSamba!

Growing up there was a Volkswagen dealership a mile or two away from where my family lived, so VWs were everywhere. In high school one of my best friends had a 1966 white Beetle that we used to go everywhere. My parents' neighbors of about the last 50 years had a 1973 light blue Super Beetle for the longest time. My own first Volkswagen came years later in 2005 when the A5/MK5 Jetta was introduced and I enthusiastically opted for one with the diesel TDI engine.

Fast forward to 2020. It took me a little more than 1 year of searching to finally find a running Beetle not too far from home, a model year matching my preference, in decent condition, without much customization, a price that was agreeable, and not quickly bought by someone else faster than I could think twice.

So in mid October 2021 I found and bought a 1969 Beetle sedan through a third party. Several weeks later I got the title and bill of sale all worked out, and then a new title issued and tag(s) plus registration.

A previous owner restored most of this car, and that is about the extent of the history that I have. The engine code begins with AE so it is a 1971 or 1972 engine. I have a growing list of small issues to sort out - and I promise to make liberal use of the search function before asking something that has been asked and answered a dozen times beforehand.

And now for a few pictures!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Hello from Ohio! Welcome Very Happy
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Welcome! Your bug is a nice one!
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Welcome from kansas!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

It’s so shiny and new……. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Looks like a 71 motor, take care of that fuel filter , pronto. (w e will give you a page or two search on that and the carb fuel line nipple)

Welcome aboard!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Welcome! Very nice Bug indeed!

Yes, deal with the fuel filter before is causes an engine fire. Put in a metal one please.

The car should have a single port engine to be correct but the one you have has 3 HP more, better oil cooling and therefore is a better choice for a driver. Enjoy!

I don't recall that color being an option in '69 but I could be wrong...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Welcome! Looks like a nice bug!
I’m in Havre de Grace, MD.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Nice bug! My first was a 1968, very similar features as a 69. The only difference as I recall from the outside is the fuel filler door wasn't released from the glove box like your is. Welcome!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba! Lots of good people with lots of great information. All willing to help you out. The car is clean.

My Dad had a 69 upon graduating High School. He bought it off the lot with his grocery clerk money. In 73 he and my mother purchased a 73 Super Beetle in Marina Blue paint. That poor car broke down somewhere in 84 and sat in the driveway for 4 years till our neighbor helped out and built an engine for it. I got to watch! That is the exact moment I became obsessed with Bugs!

We share a familiar path! Good luck! And I will be tagging along.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Welcome from Ottawa, Ontario! Nice looking car.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
TDIDavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and introductions, kind compliments, and helpful suggestions!

So far over several weekends I have completed the following:
  • Inflated the five tires, which were nearly flat at 15 p.s.i. each
  • Installed a new battery, group size 42
  • Attached a Battery Tender quick-connect using ring terminals
  • Replaced the negative battery grounding strap
  • Adjusted the four pairs of brake shoes
  • Changed the engine oil, cleaned the oil strainer screen, replaced the two gaskets for the oil strainer screen plus sump plate, and replaced the six copper washers for the oil sump plate's studs/cap-nuts
  • Cleaned the oil bath air cleaner, and refilled with new engine oil
  • Reconnected the air tube from the engine oil fill cap area to the oil bath air cleaner, where it was disconnected at the upper end
Next will be:
  • Changing the brake fluid
  • Adjusting the tension of the belt
  • Following the advice to relocate the fuel filter
  • Following the advice to replace the fuel filter with a metal unit
  • Following the advice about the carburetor/carburettor fuel line nipple

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

What psi in them tires?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Just saw this posted today in the vintage photos. I thought I would share.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Add "replace all fuel lines" (including under the tank and next to the tranny) regardless of how they look.
Pick yourself up a set of spare parts:
- fan belt
- ignition parts
- fuses and bulbs

- repair manuals of your choice (Muir and Bentley, for starters).
TDIDavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

I inflated the front tires to 18 p.s.i., the rear tires to 28 p.s.i., and the spare tire to 28 p.s.i. I would have inflated them to slightly less air pressure but in this hemisphere we are approaching the coldest periods of the season, so the air pressure in the tires will be dropping a little bit on their own.

Getting repair manuals plus getting spare parts to keep in the garage and/or in the car is a great idea. Also I need to get a few tools to keep in the car too - otherwise a spare belt won't do me any good without the ability to swap it into place!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

TDIDavid wrote:
I inflated the front tires to 18 p.s.i., the rear tires to 28 p.s.i., and the spare tire to 28 p.s.i. I would have inflated them to slightly less air pressure but in this hemisphere we are approaching the coldest periods of the season, so the air pressure in the tires will be dropping a little bit on their own.

Getting repair manuals plus getting spare parts to keep in the garage and/or in the car is a great idea. Also I need to get a few tools to keep in the car too - otherwise a spare belt won't do me any good without the ability to swap it into place!

You can add 203 psi if you are running radials, like we all deo now.
And I'd pump the spare higher, to the highest on the sidewall (typically 35). That way it can lose a little over time and still be good enough when you need it. You should at least eyeball the four on the ground at fill-ups, but you can t measure the spare by eye.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Add "replace all fuel lines" (including under the tank and next to the tranny) regardless of how they look.
Pick yourself up a set of spare parts:
- fan belt
- ignition parts
- fuses and bulbs

- repair manuals of your choice (Muir and Bentley, for starters).

Also spare throttle and clutch cables.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
You can add 203 psi if you are running radials, like we all deo now.

Holly Crap! Stand WAY back if you are going to follow this advice! Shocked Shocked
KTPhil wrote:
And I'd pump the spare higher, to the highest on the sidewall (typically 35).

In fact in the owner's manual it tells you to fill the spare to 34 psi (if memory serves me) not because of pressure creep but because the spare supplies the windshield washer bottle with pressure.

Oh, and I hope that the stock battery cover is still there, you put it back on or if not then put a piece of plywood in it's place. If you do not attend to this important detail the next person to sit in the rear seat will start an interior fire that you and he/she will remember for the rest of your life!
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Sorry to start a tire pressure debate. I didn’t notice he posted it.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Maryland, USA Reply with quote

Nice photo from the day "Right on, right on, right on" now lets go smoke that joint. All the above advice is good. Enjoy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: