Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio wiring help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flygvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Radio wiring help Reply with quote

how do i wire up a new radio in my 72 vw bug? and what do i wire the Signal, or remote wire. Basically telling the radio that the car is on and that it can take from the battery
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont now how to wire one but I would definitely ditch the stock antenna and go with a highI input harness style one. you can put them under the headliner and you wont have to worry about someone getting mad and ripping your antenna off or stealing it. I want to put a megaphone on my exhaust and my worst fear is someone stomping on it. when I was a kid we used to vandalize this old guys bug that would park over in the street and go to the highschool to play shotput. he found us one day and threw my freind around. he made my freind run all the way down our hill and retrieve the shotput we rolled down it from his passenger seat. but that was when bugs were still kinda under appreciated. I am 30 now and I would never do that today but I would not put it pass a punk kid. im sure someone will chime in with some help soon. cheers.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, wire the red "switched hot wire" to a switched fuse on the fuse block, and the "always hot" yellow memory wire to an un-switched always-on fuse on the fuse box. Yes, put on the protected side of the fuse there, and these can have their own in-line fuse as well.

Do all this with battery disconnected. Ground wire is to body metal. Easy.

My 1970 with dealer-added AM radio was wired "always on" by the dealer, so when I installed a cassette player (yes, still in it), I had to turn that off as well as shutting off the ignition, never bothered to change it.

My 1971 with dealer-added AM-FM mono radio was wired to the ignition switch by the dealer, so its cassette player is also still like that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Cusser said, you only need the two power connectors (switched and constant), the chassis ground, and your speakers.
Owners guides generally have a fuse diagram (link) and wiring diagrams (link) are on theSamba if you'd like, can confirm which are switched / constant fuses with a cheap multimeter.

Many receivers have a 'Remote' wire for an external amp, tells it when to turn on. If you don't have an external amp leave it disconnected. Can put a piece of tape on the end if you'd like.
Same for any other wire that doesn't deal with power input or speakers.

btw, the stock beetle antenna works fine with modern receivers.
Whether or not you have roving bands of young andrews looking to steal your antenna will depend on your location
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Radio wiring help Reply with quote

Does my picture look correct, switched wire and hot wire?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Radio wiring help Reply with quote

Test with a 12 volt test light or voltmeter. With key out, and with key in "run" position.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Radio wiring help Reply with quote

This is how the radio was powered on my '71 Super.

The radio would operate with the key in the ignition (with the ignition switched on or off).

The radio would turn off when the key was removed.

Note: On most newer radios, the constant power wire is yellow, and the switched power wire is red.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio wiring help Reply with quote

kd69bug wrote:
Does my picture look correct, switched wire and hot wire?

That shows you are connected to the same hot, see the connector bar in the fuse block.
kd69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Radio wiring help Reply with quote

I was making it more difficult than it actually was. A simple minute with the test light and all is well. Thanks everyone, next time I'll try to remember to start up my brain before I start up my project! Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: