Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Increasing band width
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Howdy, we live on a dead end dirt road with no cable. Not interested in sattelites. What can we do increase our band width from our DSL?
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Ok. Start at the point where the phone line gets to the outside of your house. Look at ANY union or connection and check for dirt or corrosion. Use caution, the hone line Carrie’s 54 VAC which jumps to 120 VAC when the phone rings. Once the outside connections are done move into the house. Check every jack. You can remove any phone jack that isn’t in use from the distribution block where the line enters the house. Finally place the DSL router as close to the point where the phone line enters the home…. If you can. Best I can offer. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Not much.

But there are some obscure settings in the Windows registry that can optimize handshaking and packet sizes, for a marginal improvement. This helped in dial-up, too, back in the day. Google for them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Unless youve used an acoustical model at 300 baud, and had a bunch of people crowding into your office to see you new 1200 baud moden, it just moot.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Just want to be able to stream netflix, youtube , hulu excetra , without the circle of death coming on every five minutes and having to reconnect to the internet.

I realize dsl sucks but thats what we got.

A neighbor picked up a Nighthawk ac 1900 ffrom netgear, hooked up after the phone companies router and said it helped, was wondering if any more options available?

My cousin suggested an AT&T hotspot. Would that work?

Sorry, i am such a luddite.

Thank you.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

So what cell service do you get there?
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Starlink. I had shit service on twisted pair ADSL at the end of a run. was paying $65 for an average of 3Mb service. I have starlink, $99 a month and average about 90mb now. It is getting faster as we move towards the production system with all the sats on orbit. Right now its only a partial constellation. Once the full thing is deployed well be Gig speed without wires.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
calvinater wrote:

AT&T
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
calvinater wrote:

AT&T

Look into the cost of a unlimited data plan and hot-spotting. It varies, and might be feasible, or too expensive.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

So are you asking about increasing bandwidth TO the house.....or connectivity IN the house via wireless?

Meaning...if you are connected via wire and your stuff drops off due to lack of bandwidth....I don't know.

But if its a wireless problem....I was having my wireless anywhere in my house drop off anytime any of the neighbors within 200 feet ...or any of their wireless hubs or devices logged on. It would "blip" anytime anyone logged onto their wireless system.

I thought it was lack of band width...but it was actually signal stepping n each other. So...I downloaded a "widget"...free....That analyzes all wireless signals around you and shows the map...shows what the names of accounts are....shows what channel, power bandwidth, whether its 2.8 or 5 ghz....graphs everything....can also scan you entire house and show every wireless integrated appliance or system from phones to the blue tooth in my car....and shows what they pull from the system.

Its called Netspot.
https://www.netspotapp.com/features.html?gclid=Cj0...uhEALw_wcB

What it showed is NOT overlap and stepping on each other so much...but just a poor technology, low power router that was only two years old.

See.....there are routers that use multiple connectivity systems. There are several classification standards (B, G, N, AC etc,). Most common cheap ones at home are N type that make them easier to set up the "handshake" on more types of devices. They are kind of idiot proof.

They jump back and forth between 2.8 and 5.0 ghz.....but settle on whichever it finds is most prevalent or easiest. Low tech.

Here is some basic info.
https://homenetworkadmin.com/wireless-b-vs-g-vs-n-vs-ac-difference/

The Netspot app found that our Netgear router was an N type. When it detects mostly Apple phone products in the house...it would switch to 5.0 ghz...and they work fine...but would just leave 2.8 ghz....which goes through walls better.... shut off. That was affecting my Windows laptop and desktop.

So....
just bought a Netgear AX-5 last month at Best buy.....fucking DAMN.....spent five minutes setting it up.....wireless connectivity became lightning fast anywhere in the house out to the end of the driveway.

Download that Netspot widget for free...and see what you have going on. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

We have local phone company suppling our internet. comes in on 2 wires. If we lived closer to the CO= company office. The farther you are the weaker or slower the speed. If you are paying for a certain down and up speed and are not getting it. Contact them and have them clean up your 2 wires from the CO to your house. Many bridge taps (phone company lingo) could be your problem. It would be on there side and not the house side.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Netspot has one out of five stars on the apple app store, and says you needs a $650 piece of hardware to use it!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

I'd shop around all the potential providers, depending on how long that "dirt road" is they may be willing to install lines, or equipment if you sign up for a few years of service. Just like the "free" phone that comes with most contracts they want to get you hooked and hope you don't notice when the contract expires and the rates jump. Especially if they can scoop a customer from another service, but sometime the mere threat of changing providers made to your current one may unlock all sorts of ways they suddenly have to help you. I had a TV cable ran from the road 1/4 mile away for free that way, same with a natural gas line.
But do make sure there's an out clause if the promised performance doesn't actually happen once it's installed, negotiate that in writing ahead of time, preferably for free.

The only downside to all this is the hours you may spend on hold, you'll have some of that stupid hold music stuck in your head for weeks afterwards, I wish I could charge my provider back for the time lost trying to get them to fix something.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Contact them and have them clean up your 2 wires from the CO to your house. Many bridge taps (phone company lingo) could be your problem. It would be on there side and not the house side.

They can find these by injecting a signal from one end of the wire, and the tester indicates how many feet to the "hiccup" from a nick or other wiring defect. Pretty nifty!

Often they just choose a different pair in the bundle that hasn't been used before, and has a clean signal with no reflections except from the end of the wire. Back when I had dial-up in a 30 year old neighborhood, that's what they did. Same for DSL, I expect.

And again, see if a techie with them can suggest registry changes that can make a big difference (packet size, for example). It's not as scary as it sounds. Just changing numbers in a file. Knowing which user, parameters and what numbers is the trick, but the web may give you suggestions. Do this after they make changes to optimize it for the connection you have.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

I would try using your phone as a hotspot for now. DSL seldom goes above 5 Mbps at this point. That's obviously a downfall of using a phone system.

You can get cellular routers/modems from mobile providers. Cradlepoint makes a nice product that is plug and play.

If you choose to go that route and use that for your home solution and have wired items in your home by chance, I would look into replacing the wiring too. I imagine that it's using older versions of CAT cabling.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

We have Verizon Hot spot,, fast, but it slows down once we hit 15GB , They found out I'm a Veteran so we get unlimited data Very Happy we also live on a Deadend Dirt road Very Happy would not have it any other way Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
We have Verizon Hot spot,, fast, but it slows down once we hit 15GB , They found out I'm a Veteran so we get unlimited data Very Happy we also live on a Deadend Dirt road Very Happy would not have it any other way Laughing

It’s the Dd214 protocol at work
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing band width Reply with quote

Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: