Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a nice 294 shift fork jig, and I'd like to know if it works for late model IRS T1 transaxles. I know it works for swing axle bug and bus, but will I be able to use it on an IRS box? (I know it does not fit my bay bus gear carriers, that requires 294a or 294b.)

Thanks in advance!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

The 294 is made to be used with the earlier 4 bolt pinion bearing. Technically you could build an IRS with that style of case, but the factory VW late IRS transaxles used the larger bearing with the single nut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

So I need 294a or 294b to build a stock IRS Type 1 box? 😯
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Yes

A 294 jig is handy to have since the Rhino/Autocraft cases use a 4 bolt pinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Thank you so much.

For sale, 294! 🤪 But seriously, thanks; I would not have discovered the new case compatibility otherwise.

For my next trick, I’ll ask if my cut-up 002 bus “jig” will work for 091 shift fork setting?

Robbie
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
For my next trick, I’ll ask if my cut-up 002 bus “jig” will work for 091 shift fork setting?

Robbie

It will, but an issue you will run into is the 091 reverse gear has a finer splined shaft it slides on than the 002 gears. You can simply get an 091 shaft, and swap them back, and forth though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

100% appreciated, thanks. I read that part of Rick Long’s CD today disassembling my first 091, not considering the setting of reverse… Makes totall sense.
Deweyoop2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Yes

What’s the difference between Vw 294A and 294B?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Deweyoop2 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Yes

Its my understanding the 294A was created to work with the oddball one year only 68 Type 2 transaxle. The 294B came out when VW switched to the larger pinion bearing with the thin single nut.
Deweyoop2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Deweyoop2 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Yes

Its my understanding the 294A was created to work with the oddball one year only 68 Type 2 transaxle. The 294B came out when VW switched to the larger pinion bearing with the thin single nut.

ooh OK so here's another question: in the Bentley book for the vw bug the tool that is referenced is Vw 294B is it safe to assume that 294B was mainly used on the type 1 transaxles and the 294A was specifically for the type 2's?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

I think the 294A, and 294B will work with either a 69-83 Type 2 trans, or a 71-79 Type 1. The added attachments worked with the 68 Type 2 on the 294A, and the shorter rod attachments worked with the Autostick trans on the 294B. Maybe mcmscott can clarify. I use a 294 for the early 4 bolt pinion Type 1 stuff, and a 294B plate with the correct length mounts for a common large bearing 71 on Type 1/2. I’ve never seen a complete tool with all of the attachments.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

What is the body length of the four shorter 'arms'? I have the longer ones like in this pic from the Samba gallery.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
What is the body length of the four shorter 'arms'? I have the longer ones like in this pic from the Samba gallery.

Pretty sure I have a set of the shorter ones, and I know someone that does for sure if I don’t. I’ll see if I can get measurements.
Deweyoop2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to give me a scan of both vw 294a and Vw 294b?
supertobs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

The shorter arms have a measurement of 106.6 mm (from VW document)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAM Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Deweyoop2 wrote:
Would anyone be able to give me a scan of both vw 294a and Vw 294b?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/tools3.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lockuplever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

Is it possible to bore out a 294 to fit the larger pinion bearing? I have a 294 that I don't have a use for but need a 294b.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

lockuplever wrote:
Is it possible to bore out a 294 to fit the larger pinion bearing? I have a 294 that I don't have a use for but need a 294b.

A competent machinist should be able to open up a 294 to accommodate the later big nut pinion bearing. The 4 'pins' will need be shortened. I believe to 106.6mm.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tool 294 (shift jig) interchange Reply with quote

If you only intend to use 1 jig for all your trans work - yes, the 294 can be machined to the larger bearings...and get an adapter. But you still have to switch rods between trans types.

The best way is to just get the Bus jig and have two jigs setup to work on all of the trans.

I would not limit myself to just a single jig when there are so many floating around for sale.

Rhino cases for hi-performance use - which jig?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: