Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Ghia Windshield Glass
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Dear Members,

I am replacing my windshield glass but the used one I bought is about 1/4" wider on each side versus my old one. I don't know my old one (cracked) is corrected size or not either. They both have 17" top to bottom. I believe 66 to 74 and coupe and convertible are the same. I wonder why the used glass I bought is slightly wider? Will this work with new American seal and install while the windshield frame still has the teeth? Thank you in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

It is a question that has crops up now and again. Since you've posted this question once again... and you've not yet had a response, ... I've pasted a search result with the key words... Windshield + Teeth. You can browse through those and see what helps. That should get you going at least.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=windshield+teeth&search_forum=7

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Thanks for the search result. It talks a lot about how to install with seal.

My current problem is the replacement glass is about 1/4" wider than the cracked one I took off. My car is in the paint shop right now and debating to buy the molded corner American style seal for my glass but don't know the glass will work or not. Plus found some seal that will work with the existing teeth on the windshield frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Dear Members,

As I cleaned my replacement windshield glass, I spotted some bubbles between the glass therefore I don't think it is repairable. If anyone knows where I can get this glass with size 17 1/8" top to bottom appreciate it.
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Dear Members,

After more carefully research thru internet with different companies and measure again, I need a 17" top to bottom for my convertible. I have difficulty to find one. Is there a different between coupe and convertible? And it looks like from '56 to '66 has one size (may be 17 3/8") and '67 to '74 is 17".

Appreciate any help you can give.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

kdnguyen61 wrote:

..... Is there a different between coupe and convertible? And it looks like from '56 to '66 has one size (may be 17 3/8") and '67 to '74 is 17"......

Yep, that's right...
All model years Coupe or Cabriolet have the same window opening size. The change is on account of the rubber and trim. Changes occurred mid '66. The trim pieces around the windscreen changed from a 'C' shape of chromed steel to a 'T' of polished aluminium with a corresponding revision of the rubber and glass height.

Note however, there are seals available with no provision for the decorative trims which are functionally compatible with glass variants. This is termed the "Cal Look" without the dress trims.

Nicholas
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your comments. I will go to paint shop tomorrow to measure the distance of windshield opening top to bottom, frame to frame with no overlap. I don't think the glass can overlap on top of the windshield frame? I like to keep American seal.

SoCal Imports have listed only one to cover from '56 to '74. However, MidAmerica Motorworks show two sizes from top to bottom. This is where I confused. Please see links below. SoCal has in stock but not MidAmerica. I found eVWParts with link below for one part no. with starting 141, not 143 like others. Appreciate any further help to buy the right one.

https://socalautoparts.com/product/windshield-ghia-clear/

https://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/product/vw-1967-19...ear-380102

https://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/product/vw-1956-19...ass-340050

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/141845101C.html
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Through the years I installed a lot of windshield glasses - all of them delivered by Hoffmann Speedster (in turn they are made by company in Turkey). It doesn't matter the year of the car - every time I installed the same glass and Hoffmann doesn't provide different sizes. Rubber seals used is always best German quality by Vewib, so called "blocked". The glass fits either C trim or T trim with corresponding rubber seal every time, with a little bit more effort with C shaped trim. Once I had a real struggle with C trim seal but the problem was in the window opening - frame was repaired and a little bit shorter. So my assumption is whatever size of glass you get, most likely you can install it on the car.
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

I measured the distance from top lip to bottom lip and it is 17 1/8". The glass I took off is 17". One store has 17 and 1/4" but I think the glass will be over the lip a little bit thru the American seal.

Any comments?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Often posted grab from the House of Ghia Catalogue
A description of the installation for c type trim with over lapping comments concerning T trim.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia_...nstall.pdf

Nicholas
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks again for the information. According to your picture, then I would need a 17" instead of 17" 1/4 for earlier year.

Then MidAmerica Motors is correct on the sizes but not other companies where they stated one size fits all !!!!
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

I have decided to order from Mid America Motorworks for a 17" center height to match exactly what I took off from the car. The only problem is I have to wait until late Jan to get it for special order. Other stores have in stock but can't tell me exact size and I don't want to struggle with installation.
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Ghia Windshield Glass Reply with quote

Hello Members,

I checked with MidAmerica Motorworks and they still waiting from production company to accept their orders. And due to pandemic, it could be spring or summer. I took out the old glass as it has many cracks.

I understand that my 1972 model fits with one particular size of glass that go with 1967 to 1974 (size is height in center 17") matching with my old one. The other size is from 1956 to 1966 which I believe is bigger like 1/8" in center and at least 1/2 inch wider on each side.

I have talked with different companies in CA (SoCal and so forth) and even some glasses companies but they can't even tell me the exact size of what they have so that mean they may not have it correctly and I can't rely on that to order.

Appreciate any members may have any other information I can pursue. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: