Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

I have a 69 fuel injection fastback. I want to know if there is a style of muffler that will give the car some better sound. I want it to be a little louder, like glass packs would do. I've seen the tri-Mil OTT mentioned. Wondering if that would give me the added sound I am looking for.

Thanks
T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

YUP . . A glass will definitely make it louder!
The standard 1-3/8 four into one header will do.
And if it's to loud you can always put a single quiet muffler when you wanna be a little nicer to the neighbors.
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Here's what I'm running on my 65 Squareback...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had it custom made at the local muffler shop to bolt to the existing 1-1/2" three bolt flange header so it would clear my hitch (originally the supertrapp bolted directly to the header by way of a simple adaptor I fabbed up and exited right out the center in the rear like a short stinger). The short supertrapp is definitely loud - but surprisingly not terrible at idle and gentle cruising. But it screams when you get on it a bit!

For reference, I'm running a 1968cc dual carded engine with a fairly mild cam...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

OTT style sounds good & doesn't hang down low like other exhausts.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

nynone4 wrote:

Had it custom made at the local muffler shop to bolt to the existing 1-1/2" three bolt flange header so it would clear my hitch (originally the supertrapp bolted directly to the header by way of a simple adaptor I fabbed up and exited right out the center in the rear like a short stinger). The short supertrapp is definitely loud - but surprisingly not terrible at idle and gentle cruising. But it screams when you get on it a bit!

For reference, I'm running a 1968cc dual carded engine with a fairly mild cam...

Reminds me of a section of Harley pipe I had on the end of a 1-3/8ths Tri mill header. Now that was loud, as I scared a guy in a Honda once when I revved it up. He thought his fart can was loud, but it wasn't. Laughing Laughing
My plan on my Notch is to use a standard 1-3/8ths header, with a small glass pack muffler and a section of tail pipe on it to get it all out from under the car, but exit out the stock location. I've already got it built, complete with flanged heat exchangers ready to go on., but just hadn't gotten to it yet. Way back in 89, my wife's 70 Fastback had a header and a cherry bomb/glass pack muffler on it. I drove it from Texas to Michigan and it wasn't too obnoxious. Wink It was loud around town, but seemed to loose a few db's at freeway speed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/VINTAGE-SPEED-TYPE-3-ABARTH-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-p132825594

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
nynone4 wrote:

Reminds me of a section of Harley pipe I had on the end of a 1-3/8ths Tri mill header. Now that was loud, as I scared a guy in a Honda once when I revved it up. He thought his fart can was loud, but it wasn't. Laughing Laughing
My plan on my Notch is to use a standard 1-3/8ths header, with a small glass pack muffler and a section of tail pipe on it to get it all out from under the car, but exit out the stock location. I've already got it built, complete with flanged heat exchangers ready to go on., but just hadn't gotten to it yet. Way back in 89, my wife's 70 Fastback had a header and a cherry bomb/glass pack muffler on it. I drove it from Texas to Michigan and it wasn't too obnoxious. Wink It was loud around town, but seemed to loose a few db's at freeway speed.

You mean like this old cyclone header I have?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/VINTAGE-SPEED-TYPE-3-ABARTH-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-p132825594

I would love to hear a clip of one of these. I have asked the VS speed guys if they have one, but no response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

This is for the Abarth dual tip type I posted. There is a single tip version - but I don't know if they put the special Abarth sauce in it if there is such a thing?

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
This is for the Abarth dual tip type I posted. There is a single tip version - but I don't know if they put the special Abarth sauce in it if there is such a thing?

I’ve got the single tip version. Guess it’s the “no sauce” version ‘cause it don’t sound like that; more tame.

VSP, expensive as hell. Worth about every penny. Nothing but VSP for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
VSP, expensive as hell.

LOL, CSP Python has entered the chat...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

I have an NOS mufflerhanging in the shop
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Not to turn the discussion too far off-topic, but I like the stock sound. I can hear it, but it doesn't drone on the highway. I like the "sewing machine" noise in preference to megaphone putt-putt. Reminds me of a well-tuned stock Porsche in its' mechanical precision, fan whoosh, and understatement. I hate the fart mufflers on Japanese cars, and I guess I'm pushing against that here, too. I drove on highways too many years and miles to like "louder."

Now back to our regularly-scheduled program...

I have run extractor/quiet pack mufflers on several of my cars, though not the Type 3s. They help slightly at the higher end, and do make a satisfying noise in the parking lot. On my Bugs they scraped unless I was careful. I even clamped a disposable angled steel plate where it dragged to save wear on the muffler.

The stock Type 3 exhaust system, if you have seen the cutaway photos, is a good approximation to an equal-length header system, and with the exception of the resonator, not very restrictive. With the intake runners on my FI '71 limiting rpms to 5K max anyway, this isn't much of a restriction at the high end, so I go with it.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

You mean like this old cyclone header I have?

Yup, about that size muffler/glass pack.

KTPhil wrote:Not to turn the discussion too far off-topic, but I like the stock sound. I can hear it, but it doesn't drone on the highway. I like the "sewing machine" noise in preference to megaphone putt-putt. Reminds me of a well-tuned stock Porsche in its' mechanical precision, fan whoosh, and understatement.

I ran the stock muffler for years with a section of Harley pipe in place of the dampener pipe. While only a little louder than stock, it's ok but pretty quiet. In my case the muffler body itself needs some rust repair.But then I got it used from Ev back in 2006, and it's been in use ever since. I'm just after something a little different now, since I need to patch it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Link

Thanks Dude! I'm going to break the new 1.8l with the cyclone, and if it is bad, I'll order up the Abarth.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

I used to run a Cyclone on my old 64 notch with a 1776. Loved it. It sounded like a rally car. Exhaust popped when you took your foot off the pedal. Cool

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I used to run a Cyclone on my old 64 notch with a 1776. Loved it. It sounded like a rally car. Exhaust popped when you took your foot off the pedal. Cool

Link

That should make the neighbours happy! And make me fit in with the cool kids at the 7-11.

Last edited by Jason37 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Link

That should make the neighbours happy! And make fit in with the cool kids at the 7-11.

...and make voters ban old cars.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
VSP, expensive as hell.

oK Josh, make me feel, cheap/poor. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust choice for better (louder) sound Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
VSP, expensive as hell.

oK Josh, make me feel, cheap/poor. Laughing

Hey. I resemble that remark. Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: