Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
My Fuchs are finally back from paint. Hoping to get them on this week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

very nice Applause Applause
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
My Fuchs are finally back from paint...

👍👍 2L Fuchs look at home on a Ghia... Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

DariuszPlich wrote:
overboost wrote:
My Fuchs are finally back from paint. Hoping to get them on this week.

very nice =D> =D>

Very nice. I was thinking of doing those infill sections in my Ghia's body colour but decided against - and in favour of the raw aluminium (aluminum in some parts) look. My Ghia is in Lotus White, very similar to the colour of yours.
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Body stripped and a few minor patches done on the pan. Braces in place, now ready to replace the heater channels and associated. This car was a testament to the pro's and con's of undercoating. The heater channels from the B pillar aft were factory perfect (under the coating). The area mid sill forward, where the undercoat blocked the weep holes I can take out by hand. Literally falling apart.

Last edited by gorbur on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

gorbur, amazing how the Ghia's factory green color seems to be a perfect match for your John Deere equipment in the background.

Seeing your photo from 2020 of the Ghia, looks like you drove it a while before you started with the disassembly?
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
gorbur, amazing how the Ghia's factory green color seems to be a perfect match for your John Deere equipment in the background.

Seeing your photo from 2020 of the Ghia, looks like you drove it a while before you started with the disassembly?

Yes, quite close to JD green perhaps a bit darker The refinish will put it back to Zambezi green. Something about that colour so fits a 70's Ghia.
Mechanically the car was sound and I drove it to work weather permitting. It was the sort of car that looked great from 30ft., but lacking any closer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

And the Fuchs are on. This was exactly what I had pictured in my head, I am happy with the matched look. Next up is to work on the dash fitting an assortment of gauges to prepare for the turbo engine. Happy dance this week!

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Our Christmas tree is now complete! Cool

gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Test fit of replacement heater channel and sill rocker. Some minor tweaks to the y tube. Next move is to rebuild the lambchop area and complete the rear extention. Test fit of the doors hopefully following that. So far is stripping off the e-coat has been the biggest pain. I going to spare myself the grief and send them out to get bead blasted prior to weld up.
I'm not sold on the factory like reinforcement channel so tonights reading is sifting through the Samba.

DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

gorbur wrote:
Test fit of replacement heater channel and sill rocker. Some minor tweaks to the y tube. Next move is to rebuild the lambchop area and complete the rear extention. Test fit of the doors hopefully following that. So far is stripping off the e-coat has been the biggest pain. I going to spare myself the grief and send them out to get bead blasted prior to weld up.
I'm not sold on the factory like reinforcement channel so tonights reading is sifting through the Samba.

Good job ! I see you have a nice way to replace the sill plates
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

DariuszPlich wrote:
gorbur wrote:

Good job ! I see you have a nice way to replace the sill plates

Thanks, your posts were very helpful in seeing what i would be up against.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
And the Fuchs are on. This was exactly what I had pictured in my head, I am happy with the matched look. Next up is to work on the dash fitting an assortment of gauges to prepare for the turbo engine. Happy dance this week!

Those rims look great on that car!!! Love it
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:

Very nice looking! Is this manila yellow on the Ghia?
Stealth Ghia Transformation: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7226044&highlight=#7226044
My Berg5: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730276&start=0
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

obus wrote:

halbug wrote:

Thanks guys! The wheels and tires made a huge difference in the overall looks of my 30/30. (30 feet away at 30 MPH) Laughing

The color is certainly not a factory color, the paint matching for the wheels came back as Chrysler 6211 Cool Vanilla.

The engine case just got back from machining for the Scat flanged crank and T4 mains with BMW bearings. Short block should happen right at the start of 2022 but still waiting on the heads to complete the long block and the complete turbo system from Car Craft.

Gearbox is also being built with 3.88 R&P, gusseted Rhino case, Weddle mainshaft and Weddle 1.48/1.04 3rd and 4th.

She should be a nice little street outlaw Ghia at 1 Bar boost, even with the rust.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
obus wrote:

halbug wrote:

Thanks guys! The wheels and tires made a huge difference in the overall looks of my 30/30. (30 feet away at 30 MPH) Laughing

The color is certainly not a factory color, the paint matching for the wheels came back as Chrysler 6211 Cool Vanilla.

The engine case just got back from machining for the Scat flanged crank and T4 mains with BMW bearings. Short block should happen right at the start of 2022 but still waiting on the heads to complete the long block and the complete turbo system from Car Craft.

Gearbox is also being built with 3.88 R&P, gusseted Rhino case, Weddle mainshaft and Weddle 1.48/1.04 3rd and 4th.

She should be a nice little street outlaw Ghia at 1 Bar boost, even with the rust.

Another thumbs up for those wheels. They look great.
todmeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Sent my new header and Dynomax muffler out for powder coating!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I finally got around to replacing the torn horn boot in my Ghia - while Nicholas aka Sputnick was working on his own car next to mine and provided technical support.

First, the old horn boot. I have no idea how it came to look like that.

I then cleaned the area where the horns sit. Nicholas pointed out that one of my horns was not original, and promised me a replacement the first time he can get back to Australia, and his own much loved Ghia.

Fitting the horns to the new horn boot was not easy. I first had to clean the horn boot itself. Then I left it in the sun to stretch and become more pliable. Fitting the original larger horn proved to be difficult, but I eventually succeeded after more sun on the rubber, and after leaving the boot with the horn installed in the sun for another hour while we had lunch. After that, the installation went without a hitch.

The view from underneath: I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwi, how do those 2 mismatched horns sound- like a coincidentally good match (high/low), or irritating? I suppose the sound tone is secondary; they are a useful warning device.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
kiwi, how do those 2 mismatched horns sound- like a coincidentally good match (high/low), or irritating? I suppose the sound tone is secondary; they are a useful warning device.

I fear that I have no point of reference to compare these mismatched horns to the originals. The tone sounds quite sharp to my ear, but not so much as to be irritating. It will certainly scare a jay-walker out of my path, which, I suppose, is purpose achieved.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I was there to hear the test sounding. It was fine. There were two tones, one high one low. Not quite the Ghia toot but certainly loud enough to send an adequate warning
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 158 of 166

Jump to: