Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

When I stopped by the shop today, the builder was working on my heads. Since we are going with the high lift cam and 9:1, he wants to run dual valve springs. These heads were ordered with single springs for a bus engine back in 2013. So, I walked in on him machining them for the inner spring. He will also be fly cutting them to get the 9:1, maybe I’ll walk in on that tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Nice picture. Love pictures with chips flying.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Long block is done! But, I’m sure it’ll still be 6+ Weeks before I get the car back.

2109cc build specs:
9:1 compression
AS41 case
CB 76mm crank, balanced
CB 5.6 H-Beam rods
94mm Mahle pistions
Berg 297-A cam
CB straight cut cam gears
CB 044 heads with dual pistons
Solid rocker shafts with swivel feet adjusters
CB 26mm oil pump with filter
Silverline main bearings
Mahle HD double thrust cam bearings
Lightened stock flywheel, balanced
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

One step at a time. Can you post or PM me who you used for your engine work?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I stopped by the shop today and was happy to see the builder was still working on my engine. I thought he was going to stop at the long block and start on another build he took on before mine.

He had all the lower tin installed

I wanted to use a CB in/out oil pump I had with a external filter, he didn’t want to use the external filter and wanted to use a pump filter. I thought he hated those, turns out he builds a heat shield for them.

Before I left he had the fan shroud and the carbs mocked up. He will be cutting the groves into the shroud for the t-stat rods and he’ll be drilling holes and welding nuts in to mount the coil. Once that’s stuff is done, the shroud will be bead blasted and painted black. He’ll also be building custom linkage which will allow for engine growth when it’s warm.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I just read through from the beginning and it's good to see you getting so much done. Even doing small stuff helps keep momentum going. I can almost hear myself when you talk about not getting as much done as you wanted! There are so many subcomponents to each assembly and each one needs attention when you take things apart. I waited months to reassemble my alternator I rebuilt, simply because the front piece needed paint and I wasn't ready to paint all the black stuff at that point (lots of black stuff on bugs!).
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

We have now have working thermostat flaps!!! As we know the aftermarket 34hp dog house fan shrouds don’t accommodate flaps and flaps was one of the 5 things I wanted. So today the shroud was modified to accept them. Woot!

That OG Ernst exhaust I wanted to use won’t fit, turns out it’s for a 40 horse. 🤷‍♂️ I will be for sale shortly, if any of you are interested just PM me. So now it’s getting the merged one with the can and pea shooters. It’s in my budget and I’m sure the 2109 will like a merged collector better.

Carb linkage. The idea of modifying a bell linkage was scrapped. Now it’s going to get the CB hex bar linkage, custom brackets will be made that will attach to the carbs for the linkage to rotate on. Gonna be sick!

I bought a ‘67 12v wiper motor from the classifieds and I have a bunch of other shit on order. I’d love to be taking this car skiing this winter. 🤞

Flaps!!!

Here you can see the flaps and where the inside needed to be timed to accept them

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I’m striking out with exhausts. The 2 tip GT one came in and it doesn’t clear the oil pump filter. It looks like the Eurosport 2 also doesn’t clear the filter. The only 2 tip exhaust that I can find to clear the filter is the Tri-Mil Euro. I believe the VS would also clear and I’d really love to have one, but that’s not in the cards right now. So the Tri-Mil it’ll be, but I can’t even get the one with the ceramic coating cause everyone is sold out. Looks like I’m gonna have to buy to raw and paint it. I’ve painted many VW exhausts in my day, doesn’t matter which brand paint you use none of them last.

The Tri-Mil is rated for 90-100 hp, I’m sure the engine will not produce more then that and I’m sure it’s gotta flow better then the Ernst I was gonna use.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I’m striking out with exhausts. The 2 tip GT one came in and it doesn’t clear the oil pump filter. It looks like the Eurosport 2 also doesn’t clear the filter. The only 2 tip exhaust that I can find to clear the filter is the Tri-Mil Euro. I believe the VS would also clear and I’d really love to have one, but that’s not in the cards right now. So the Tri-Mil it’ll be, but I can’t even get the one with the ceramic coating cause everyone is sold out. Looks like I’m gonna have to buy to raw and paint it. I’ve painted many VW exhausts in my day, doesn’t matter which brand paint you use none of them last.

The Tri-Mil is rated for 90-100 hp, I’m sure the engine will not produce more then that and I’m sure it’s gotta flow better then the Ernst I was gonna use.

I picked up a CSP stock style exhaust for CIP1. I love it. It is the same hp as the VS exhaust but a little cheaper.

For my wipers I upgraded. I got tired of all the snow stressing my wiper linkage (due to the weight of the snow) and got a 68' assembly from this seller (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=57368). It was totally worth it in the long run. I wasted a lot of time trying to make crap work. In the long run I should have bought his setup first. The only mod I had to do to make the 68' fit the wiper holes was to widen it a 1/8 of an inch.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Haven’t updated in awhile because there’s been nothing happening with the car. We did take a 15 day 3000 mile trip to the Cali coast in our ‘71 Westy, that was a blast. The bus preformed phenomenally!

The car has been sitting at the shop for 2 months. Today I stopped by to pick up some parts got the bus and he was working on it. Woot woot! He was sectioning the passenger floor pan. It’s a start, I’d really like to have it back. I’m dreaming of driving it to the ski resort, it’s gonna be my little mountain rocket.

Cali trip thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9747194&highlight=#9747194
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

More work has been done on the car. Alright alright alright… The passenger floor has been finished. He used 2 sections, one from a replacement pan he had left over and one from a old pan he cut out. It won’t be seen and is totally fine with me. The bell housing has been clearanced for the 12v flywheel, the clutch arm and throw out bearing were also changed to the late style. My engine is back in the stand and he is working on fitting CB linkage to the Kadrons. I ordered a SR-17 starter today. So progress is being made once again.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The engine build looks really, really good. I like the heat shield for the filter. That Bug will fly up the hill to Wolf Creek!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I stopped by the shop today to drop of a starter. I bought a SR-17 from Autozone for $70 after tax and core, it’s actually a really nice unit. I’ve been running autozone starters in my buses for 10 years. Never had an issue and if I do they have a lifetime warranty. Anyway, he was working on the Kadron linkage. He isn’t a fan of the linkage that comes with the Kadrons, so he decided to buy CB crossbar linkage and custom fit them. It is coming out really nice.

We decided to go with a stock exhaust. It has been opened up inside for better flow and I’ll use oversized tail pipes with it. Pics of it when I take them.

Shot of the engine with the linkage mocked up

3/4 side custom mounting bracket

Spacer provided with the kit. This keeps the hem joints at the same angle

Pic of the bell housing and the late model clutch arm.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Interesting adaptation and fab work for the CB linkage to the Kads. Looks like you could make that carb mount for the linkage ends with some sturdy angle iron.

Has your builder checked that he's getting fully open throttles when actuating the throttle cable arm? If not getting full throttle, an easy way would be to drill a new hole for the down rod's upper heim joint where it attaches to the "Z"-arm. The new hole needs to be slightly farther frontwards, so that the down rod tilt angle is less (more towards vertical). If you can imagine the tilt of the down rod as a right triangle's hypotenuse, and the extension/spacer of the throttle arm as the "short leg" of the triangle, relocating that upper joint mount lessens the tilt and lengthens the "long leg" which is the vertical component of the movement. This will result in pushing the throttle shaft down more. Luckily that Z arm has enough straight/flat area so you can drill a new hole maybe an inch forward. Determine the exact location by holding the joint onto the arm with a rubber band, slide the joint forwards until you get full throttle, then mark that location on the arm. Then drill the other carb's Z-arm at the same joint location so that the tilt angle once again is the same on both down rods.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The linkage is his choice, I only had a few things I wanted on the build. It’s just about finished and I think it’s coming out nice. He needs to add springs and it’ll be done. It’s smooth and gets full throttle.

I ordered the GT Stainless Steel exhaust tips from Vintage Speed. They don’t seem to do anything fast over there, so I’m sure it’ll be a few weeks before they show up. I was looked at the offerings from EMPI, Aircooled Customs and VS. even found videos on all 3 on YouTube. I liked the looks and the sound of the VS the best, I am partial to VS though.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the video of the carb linkage. Looking forward to your input on how well it works once your Beetle is driveable again.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Stopped by the shop today to pick up a alternator core and he was working on my engine. I love when that happens! I ordered a alternator from Autozone and needed a core. Figured what the hell, the starter was nice why not got the the alternator too. We are using a Leistritz exhaust that was laying around. He cut into is and opened it up so it would flow better, stoked on that. He thinks it’ll be loud, but I won’t be convinced until I hear it. He had the exchangers on and the exhaust mounted when I left. I believe he is going to bead blast and paint the fan shroud this weekend.

Once he stabs in the engine, I’ll make my big interior order.

Exhaust internals opened up

Looking like an engine, gonna look nicer with a black shroud and air filters.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Things are moving, slow but they are moving. The chrome fan shroud was bead blasted and I painted it black. I got my Autozone alternator, spark plug wires, positive and negative battery cables, FI fuel hose and I got a Johnson Controls battery from Walmart. My Jbugs order showed up today. I got new door panels, clips, clip seals, new a rubber mat and padding from them. My VS order hasn’t shipped yet, it’s been 10 day since I placed the order and my bus parts I order from them 3 weeks ago hasn’t shown up yet either. 🙄 It sure would be nice if that stuff would show up some time soon.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It’s in the shop!!! Patch panel done for the new bumper bracket to be welded to. Dropping off the rest of the engine parts tomorrow.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: