Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

This modified Ghia showed up in episode 219 of Auto/Biography on the MT network, entitled "The Need For Speed".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Movie "Gator" (1976), filmed mostly in Georgia. Ghias are at an independant VW repair shop across the street from a bar where the Lincoln Continental was heading. Guy driving it out of the sunroof is actor William Engesser as Bones, who was 7'3" tall! Red Ghia has a hood scoop, traditionally when a Judson supercharger is fitted.

Familiar character next to Bones is Smiley (Burton Gilliam), probably best known from "Blazing Saddles".
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Very cool. I wonder what the brownish car is behind the inspection sign… I see a square back in there too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

I've looked at the brown car a few times and cannot readily identify it. The sloping front reminds me of an Opel GT with its disappearing headlamps but the rest of the car to the right of the sign does not follow that body. It also could be that the body line to the right of the sign is another car farther in the distance, and that the sign blocks the brown car entirely if parked at a sharp angle.

The Squareback is in my response here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99967&start=120
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Bradley GT?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Very good guess, overboost; I think you got it. Makes more sense than my Opel GT since the Bradley is VW-based in which this shop specializes. Found an image of a brown one seen from left front; seems to match the movie one including the simple chrome bumper. Even though this one is open, the Bradley normally came with a flat roof which made the car very low.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

"The Dead Pool" (1988) starring Clint Eastwood as police inspector Harry Callahan in his last "Dirty Harry" character movie. Filmed in and around the San Francisco, California area. Ghia Coupe parked at right. Insp. Callahan is driving the white sedan. The antagonist is in the car to the rear, controlling the small, fast black '63 Corvette scale car with its bomb via radio control. The Corvette is the small "dot" between the two cars.

"Kojak" popular TV show with Telly Savalas as New York City Lieutenant Detective Theo Kojak, based in the Manhattan South precinct. Most of the outdoor scenes were filmed in Manhattan, and many VWs are seen in the background. Pilot episode from 1973 has Ghia Coupe parked.

"Siege of Terror" season 1, episode 1 (1973)- yellow '70/'71 Ghia Cabrio parked.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

From the American TV show "Hogan's Heroes" which is set in early 1940's Germany at the Stalag 13 PoW camp. Episode named "Klink's Masterpiece" (season 6 ep. 3, 1970) has Colonel Klink traveling to Berlin to display some of his paintings. As his Mercedes staff car approaches the art gallery, it passes 2 Beetles and... can it be- a Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (arrow) parked at the curb?! Good that this segment was filmed at night, or the decades-later VWs would be too noticeable. If I lightened the photo more, there was an increased amount of pixellation.

Turquoise metallic '60 thru '65 Ghia Cabrio, "Counting Cars" TV show filmed in Las Vegas, Nevada. Parked next to a Bentley which show host Danny Koker was considering at an auction. "Little Red Corvette" S9E4.

Popular 1970's TV show "Starsky and Hutch" with Los Angeles, California-based police detectives Ken Hutchinson ("Hutch", David Soul) and Dave Starsky (Paul Michael Glaser). Pale yellow '70/'71 Ghia Coupe S3E16 "Satan's Witches" (1978).

Red Ghia Coupe, "Survival" S2E18 (1977).

TV show "Adam-12" "Wednesday Warrior" S4E24 from 1972. The suspect's girlfriend or wife is still in the car, with a yellow Ghia Coupe in background.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome, I am amazed at how many of these you find. Do you have some type of search engine you use, or do you just watch tons of the old shows? Love your enthusiasm!!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Thanks, rb. No search engine for me! Last year with having to work from home, I had the TV on in the background during the day. I usually had one of the "old TV program" channels on, and my digital camera at arm's length. If I saw a street scene, I'd turn the camera on and pre-focus. If there was a VW and I got lucky and get a good shot of it, in evening I'd refine it in Photoshop (usual actions are transform-distort, crop, resize, rotating-leveling, colors, lighten shadows). If I miss the shot, I'll try to find that exact episode on YouTube.

We've been back in office for most of this year so I lost that watching time. In evenings and weekends, I'd be distracted from doing "useful" work either in the yard or on my VWs by looking up TV shows or movies that were set in the 1970's on YouTube. I'll skim thru on fast forward until there was a driving or street scene, go to regular speed and look for a VW. If seen, I go back 1 or 2 seconds, freeze the shot, and once again refine it in PS.

This activity implies that I should "get a life", and I admit I need to get away from the computer a lot more because I have plenty of VW engine work that can be done even in the warm basement.

Last edited by Rome on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

thanks Rome for all these stills, super fun thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

From 2018:
Rome wrote:
"The Killer Elite" (1975) has a Ghia cabriolet parked on the street in San Francisco during the cab car chase. It's not hit by any of the participants. Appears to be Pastel Blue, a 1970 color. Looks like Alcatraz Island in background. "Orangy" license plate could be from Arizona.

Meanwhile there is a much better quality video on YouTube so that I caught a clearer image. Lic. plate is from New York. Mild nose dent. Sad

More partial Ghia shots from this movie- White Coupe with luggage rack parked at right foreground. Main character Mike Locken (James Caan) on early morning laborious jog (injured leg) on left sidewalk.

Is that an early '60's Ghia Coupe parked at left?
TimLanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Scorpion S4 E7 "Go with the Flo(rence)"
Late model 72+

Scorpion S4 E9 "It's Raining Men (of War)"

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Type 34 Ghia on TV show "Cannon", "Missing at EL307" season 4 episode 18, 1975. Private detective Frank Cannon (William Conrad) parks his big Lincoln Continental Mark IV behind it at the client's apartment, then looks out the window to observe a guy in the green Ford sedan parked across the street who seems to be watching him.

That brown wagon is not a VW but a late '60's Datsun 411.

In the same episode, two Type 14 Ghias also seen in background. Late 60's Coupe:

1960's Cabrio:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Neat to see a Type 34 just on the street, that would have been uncommon even then
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Another Ghia in the TV show "Cannon"- "Long Way Down" S2E7, 1972. Flat hubcaps and narrow rear track point to 1966. Private detective Frank Cannon drives past in his huge Lincoln Continental Mark IV.

Ghia Coupe parked at The Mustang Motel, "The Reformer" S5E16, 1976. Due to the Ghia parked in the shade, I first only saw the roof contour as the clue. I lightened the shadows in Photoshop slightly to make it somewhat more recognizable.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

At the very beginning narrative of Woodie Allen's movie "Manhattan" (1979) there's the upper half of a Ghia Coupe parked. Filmed in black & white.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

^^Aerosilver low light perhaps?^^
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Don't think so. My Ghia expert friend Bill S from Connecticut clued me in on the door handle style. The style seen here where the plunger button is no longer there below the grab handle started with the '68 model year (trivia- this was to conform with new NHTSA and FMVSS standards for side impact as of Jan. 1 1968 whereby the door handle actuators had to be shielded from accidental opening by a direct hit). Also, if you look closely you can see the thin outline of the fuel filler flap on the right front fender. That flap started with the '68, though even when I zoom in on this shot, I don't see a shadow spot where the finger divot would be at the rear edge of the flap which was only on the '68. The camera shot lower edge ends high enough so that you don't see if there is the top of the round '68/'69 rear fender reflector.

Quick glance looks like the roof is a light two-tone color but there is no hard transition line at the window bases, so that appearance is caused simply the ample lighting from above.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

german movie with the music group " die Ärzte"

ghia convertible after 3:58

fantastic time in y youth. the cars and the clothes Laughing

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 42

Jump to: