Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs in Movies / Films / TV / etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
"Top Gear" British presenter James May's own buggy. Mr. May was one of the 3 presenters/hosts in the TV show "Top Gear", from 2003 thru 2015. On one of the related shows from 2016, the team traveled to Africa for "The Grand Tour of Namibia" where he acquired the buggy which he brought back to England and had restored/rebuilt by the VW shop Kingfisher Kustoms. This video from August 2021 has excellent, clear footage of him driving it.

Ironic considering how the Top Gear guys always absolutely blasted the aircooled bug.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Ironic considering how the Top Gear guys always absolutely blasted the aircooled bug.

he does that in the beach buggy video - derides the beetle, says throwing most of it away to make a buggy is an improvement. then points out the frighteningly light steering, tail happy, brake locking characteristics of the buggy... Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Fish wrote:

I saw this first run in the theater with my parents. Imagine my 12 year old embarrassment during a certain scene while getting a nug from my dad.

Never seen the film, but it's rated PG, so can't be that bad.

Different times back in 1971, not like today. While I don't remember the films rating I know my parents would never take me to a R rated film until I was 16. Anyway the scene in question is of the girl swimming naked in a pond. Full frontal nudity. No sex scenes. Like I said, different times.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Rome wrote:
"Top Gear" British presenter James May's own buggy. Mr. May was one of the 3 presenters/hosts in the TV show "Top Gear", from 2003 thru 2015. On one of the related shows from 2016, the team traveled to Africa for "The Grand Tour of Namibia" where he acquired the buggy which he brought back to England and had restored/rebuilt by the VW shop Kingfisher Kustoms. This video from August 2021 has excellent, clear footage of him driving it.

Yes, though they grudgingly admitted it was a resounding success. The episode about crossing Africa... the booby prize was having to drive the Bug the rest of the way... and it finished the race in better shape than their favorite cars!

I suspect they liked it but didn't feel it was ok to admit that on a British car show.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I suspect they liked it but didn't feel it was ok to admit that on a British car show.

True, I always got the feeling deep down they had a respectful admiration for it.
It didn't stop them from dropping one from a helicopter.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Law & Order: Organized Crime: S2 Ep7 - High Plane…….

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

From April 2020-
Rome wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:
I watch re runs of Chips, Emergency, Adam 12 and Dragnet all the time, especially now with working from home due to the Covid pandemic. LOTS of old VW`s and other cars on them.

Adam-12 is on the Me-TV channel; 2 episodes late afternoon weekdays. Here are a few shots I caught in the past few months:

...Episode named "Suspended" (1973, S 5, Ep 20)...
Off-duty Ofcr Jim Reed (Kent McCord) encounters a robber while coming out of a grocery store at night. The robber shoots at a bystander, Reed shoots back in the direction of the robber's green Beetle but the bystander is hit. Robber gets away in the Beetle. Unfortunately I missed this segment of the episode but here's a shot from IMDB.

Reed gets investigated for the shooting and is placed on temporary desk duty. Ofcr. Tyson fills in for Reed in Ofcr Pete Malloy's (Martin Milner) patrol car. During their regular patrol they follow what appears to be a green early '60's Beetle. It has '61-style snowflake taillamps and the classic California "black plate" license plate style. In the 3rd shot you can see the rearward-slanted vent wing support indicating a '65 Beetle. Looks like the rear wheels are wider than the fronts, and all wheels have the "domed" style hubcaps.

Malloy's call-in for the license plate check comes back with a totally different car make and model so they don't stop the Beetle.

When they get back to the police station after their shift, Malloy has an idea, making variations of that plate until he guessed at the right combination later on. He obtains the address and year of the Beetle and Malloy wonders how Tyson knows this is a '63 per the final plate make, saying "they all look the same to him". Tyson says " '63 was the first year of larger taillights, and extra vents". Rolling Eyes

When Malloy and Tyson get to the car's address the next day, a yellow, not green Beetle leaves the driveway. Malloy says it must be the same car but just repainted in a rush. The TV crew simply substituted a '67 due to the "vertical" '67 style headlamps, flat hubcaps, and the wide rear track...

As they pull the Beetle over, stop, and the officers get out of their patrol car; the Beetle driver flees.

After a brief chase into a dead-end street, the Beetle has to stop and the driver/suspected robber is apprehended.

Malloy finds a roll of black electrical tape inside the Beetle and tests his idea on the front plate. The robber applied small pieces of the tape over some of the letters and numbers to make them appear different.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

This SQBack keeps showing up in
Dirty Harry:

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Taycan takeout.

From 'Red Notice'. Not entirely sure whether The Rock takes out the ice cream van with the Taycan, or the bus takes out the Taycan.

Either way; another bay bites the dust....

Oh, and there's a Thing in it somewhere, but I missed that.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Quote:
and there's a Thing in it somewhere, but I missed that.

I have not seen this movie, but maybe it was a Kuebelwagen replica; since it is in combat with a late 1930's large Mercedes? From IMCDB:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Well known American actor James Garner (Maverick, Grand Prix, The Rockford Files, and so many more) was a car enthusiast and versatile, skilled amateur race car driver. He created his own racing team American International Racers (AIR) in the late 1960's. Garner produced, and narrarated this documentary "The Racing Scene" (1969) of his car life. Red open Beetle near the start of either the '68 or '69 Baja 1000, filmed from a helicopter. Note the gauge hump in the hood.

EMPI-sponsored Beetle at the start of the same race in Ensenada, Mexico. I remember a 1/24 or 1/25 plastic model kit of this car from Revell (?).
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

EB gets a Meyers Smile

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Evil Clown wrote:
EB gets a Meyers Smile

And a Tow'd to boot.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Rat Race 2001, slap stick comedy.

Funnny scene where Jon Lovitz and family visit the Barbie Museum. A few VW references including the pictures above and a red bug I didn't take a screen shot of. 6-1/2 minutes of your life you may want back.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41imMO7XpFg

# 303 and #156

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Movie "The Killer Elite" (1975) filmed in the San Francisco, California area. Main character Mike Locken (James Caan) on early morning jog passes by a silver 411 Wagon. He's carrying a walking stick due to an injured leg.

Later he gets out of Mac's cab, where a blue 412 Wagon is parked.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

thanks for those arrows... Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Adam-12 was a gold mine for old VWs in LA.

Here's an unusual one. Season 6, episode 23, filmed at LAX airport.

No vinyl on the roof sail panels, and what look suspiciously like moon VW hubcaps on it! Non-chrome bumpers.

This was probably not a USA model, which I think were all deluxe models, which lacked the fancier wheels and vinyl/chrome on the roof/sail. Better specifics on models are appreciated. Grey market? Tourist delivery?

For comparison:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

KT, the 914 in your photo would be a US model due to the round reflector on the front fender. That reflector was not needed/installed on Euro versions. 4-cylinder US model's standard equipment in the first few years had such body-color bumpers and no vinyl on the sides of targa bar. You could order the chrome bumpers and the vinyl as options (possibly termed "appearance group" though I could not find an order form nor '70 or '71 brochure per search), and most were sold that way.

The standard version's hubcaps were based on VW pressings with the raised center section, but the VW logo was not stamped in. Here's one for sale: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2343823 Stock Steve has a set on VW wheels on his '70 Cabrio-

And a good shot of such a 914 (Bonham's auction 2016)-
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Evil Clown wrote:
Dirty Harry:

This white wagon is no VW, with quad headlamps and a front grille. Don't think it's a Fiat or Opel either, both of which only had 2 headlamps in '70/'71 when "Dirty Harry" was being filmed in early 1971. If it were a 411 Wagon which was first offered as a '71 model, it would not have a front grill; and you'd see its large amber front blinkers between the headlamps and the bumper.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: VWs in Films / TV / etc. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Evil Clown wrote:
Dirty Harry:

This white wagon is no VW, with quad headlamps and a front grille. Don't think it's a Fiat or Opel either, both of which only had 2 headlamps in '70/'71 when "Dirty Harry" was being filmed in early 1971. If it were a 411 Wagon which was first offered as a '71 model, it would not have a front grill; and you'd see its large amber front blinkers between the headlamps and the bumper.

1968 Datsun 510 wagon.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Jump to:
Page 97 of 119

Jump to: