Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

I've always found the best place to hear engine sounds is at the fresh air intake vents at the side of the bus. They are almost perfectly at ear level and they act like a stethoscope to the engine, and they filter out most of the exhaust sound. They also isolate the left from the right. Also a good place is from the engine access hatch, that is a good place to hear bottom end noises.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

You mean the hot air vents releasing hot engine bay air, right?

There is a great app fir iPhone called VibroPro which lets you map amd analyse frequencies of vibration to help isolate them. It’s great for drivetrainstuff, to sort out preamp post differential.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

No rattling from the CAT.

I guess at this point my main question is:

From what you've heard so far, is the source of this noise going to reveal itself as the engine gets disassembled, or am I going to end up with it all in pieces still wondering what the heck it was?

I wrote up a summary of the entire sordid engine history that led to this point. It's here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762607

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Quote:
or am I going to end up with it all in pieces still wondering what the heck it was?

maybe. VW engines are noisy. Even more so when the parts we are using get worn. You basically want to eliminate each noise until the one bothering you is the only one left.

A perfect example - I used a new cam brazilian cam gear. It had a little run out in it that I could not get rid of. I had a noise. Pulled it apart and found that the crank end play had opened up. Came to the conclusion that the runout walked the crank back and forth opening it up, the cam end play had opened up too. Bought every used aluminum gear I could get my hands on, cleaned, inspected and had all milled for a new cam. Chose the one that best fit the right lash. The noise went away. Colin had it happen to him too, same scenario almost except he swapped his gear while on the road.

You really must eliminate all the other odd noises as best you can, then listen where the noise is, how it occurs so when you look for it you find it.

I'll be really candid. I've built thousands of engines. I've built racing engines that run long, hard and high RPMs. I've built many type 1 VW engines. My type IV engine has given me more headaches than any other engine I have ever built. I blame it on the lack of quality parts. Every single step has been a challenge.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

How did you break-in the new cam & lifters? You start the motor and bring the RPMs up to 2000 for 10-15 min.s don't let it idle.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
How did you break-in the new cam & lifters? You start the motor and bring the RPMs up to 2000 for 10-15 min.s don't let it idle.

I started the engine, immediately put a brick on the accelerator to hold 3,000 RPM, and let it run for 15 minutes while crawling all over it looking for leaks or any other issues.

1978 Westy

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Did you check the gap on the new rings? The motor sounds like it's laboring just idling.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Did you check the gap on the new rings? The motor sounds like it's laboring just idling.

I did. I can't find my sheet with the actual measurements at the moment, but all were well within spec. I do remember being impressed with the Hastings rings.

1978 Westy

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The vents on the side bring cold air into the engine compartment. If the Bus is stopped some hot air might come out of there but while moving the vents are the main source of air to the engine. The hot air comes out beneath the engine.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Abscate wrote:

The vents on the side bring cold air into the engine compartment. If the Bus is stopped some hot air might come out of there but while moving the vents are the main source of air to the engine. The hot air comes out beneath the engine.

I was just trolling the 10 page thread debate on this same issue, Very Happy
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Here's some more videos, for what they're worth....

At the Left side air INTAKE Wink

Link

At the Right side air intake
(The mic is picking up some sound of exhaust from the tailpipe)

Link

From the top access hatch

Link

From behind

Link

1978 Westy

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Do you have any way to check your oil pressure? Did you remove the oil pressure relief pistons and flush the gallerys before assembly? The motor sounds like a thrashing machine, sorry.
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Do you have any way to check your oil pressure? Did you remove the oil pressure relief pistons and flush the gallerys before assembly? The motor sounds like a thrashing machine, sorry.

I don't currently have an oil pressure gauge...... but Christmas is coming!

The case arrived from European Motorworks freshly align-bored, with threaded oil gallery plug holes, no pressure relief pistons installed, and clean. I flushed the galleries anyway just to be sure.

No apologies needed. I know it sounds bad, hence this thread.

1978 Westy

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Your 3rd video....."access hatch idle and rev"......says most of it. I still hear possible exhaust leaks...but as you let off the rev and it was dropping down to around 1100-1200 ish on its way down to idle.....that large cacophony....sounds like valve train.

Loose or worn out lifters in the bore or worn bores ...and lots of slop in the valve train.

Yes...you noted you have solid spacers....what were your side clearances?
Also you noted two turns on adjusters....but if you have sloppy lifter bores of low oil pressure you could be getting slack...or you could be too tight and hammering the cam lobes.

I say hammering because its a hammering sound in that narrow rpm range.

It could even be a loose head or a loose manifold to head.

Let it get cold...spray around some mist from a sprayer bottle with 50/50 dish soap and water....on the exhaust manifold to head joints and from underneath (may need to remove sled tins) and around the head to cylinder joint and around muffler to header joints. Start bus and get under quick and look for bubbles and foam.

Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

what was the cam gear endplay?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

This is the speed of the concerning sound, correct? I hear it lower in the engine and in a metallic tapping like valve train. That could be an exhaust leak and a lifter/rocker-related issue. Skills mentioned a potential piston offset issue in the other thread as well.

Link

If those are aftermarket lifters, adjust them at 3/4 turn preload and see how the engine responds. Of course, you'll forensically note the initial and final points, right? Our buses tell us things when those adjustments change…

Robbie

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Well, it's 25 degrees at the moment, so I won't be doing much with a running engine today!

I will warm up the garage and readjust the lifters, though. The lifters are brand new OE VW (Brazilian) from CIP1.

It's quite possible the lifter bores are worn out in the case. I did not check them, and I have no idea if George at European did either, but I doubt it.

I'm confused about the rocker arm side clearance question. I have the stock hydraulic lifter rocker arm assemblies with one spacer in the middle and the wavy washers between it and the rocker arms. Do I measure the clearances without the wavy washers installed? What is a good measurement value?

1978 Westy

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Side clearance measurement is for solid shaft spacers, like those sold on the T4 store. Once in a blue moon your wavy washers might hang up, gall, or make noise on the rocker pedestals. Look carefully during your adjustment, and also keep an eye out for a pushrod wire out of place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
what was the cam gear endplay?

It was 0.003" .

1978 Westy

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Main and Camshaft Bearings - Can they be reused? Reply with quote

Hopefully the valve covers will have plenty of oil splashed around when you remove them. I always adjusted hyd. lifters with the motor idling so I know they are pumped up, Did you pre-fill the lifters before assembly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: